The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-29-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbar View Post
I'm going to ask what may be a really dumb question. It barely even qualifies as a question, but more like a conversation prompt. Here goes.

If you find a guitar and truly love it, but the type of guitar is intended for something other than what you historically like to do, should you keep searching until you find the Cinderella guitar, or just buy the dadblasted thing and let your love for what it is shape your playing?

(It's a Collings 002H.)
Bifurcated question, at least as I understand it. Some are answering half of the pair of questions that I read as you're asking.

This post's title makes it seem like you're asking about spending more than you think you can afford or deserve to afford relative to your playing level. This topic comes up from time to time. Budgets and "opportunity costs" vary so much that's it's hard to come up with an answer for a stranger, though we often try, usually using our own judgements/experience, which may or may not apply to you. Even so, you've heard that some have stretched to a better or more expensive guitar and thought it worthwhile.

Then the post itself seems to saying that you've found and likely played a guitar that you think is not suited to what you do. Perhaps you're an electric guitar player. or you associate 00 sized guitars with delicate fingerpicking,* or you're a rank beginner looking to make a clean first position F chord (you don't say). And yet you somehow find this guitar appealing.

Again, budgets and opportunity costs vary -- but yes, I've had the experience of buying a guitar and letting it teach me what it can do and how it works. I don't generally go with pricier guitars for this sort of exploration myself -- but that's my budget and it may not be yours. Yes, that can be happen.

And if it turns out it doesn't work for you, or it teaches you all you can learn from it, well then you can sell it. Maybe you lose some money on the deal, but experience has some value. Think of how much you or someone else might spend on vacation trip for comparison.

*My experience with OO guitars is that examples I've owned can be strummed, used for slide, even picked heavily for volume and punch. They are not necessarily "one trick ponies."

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-29-2022, 11:47 AM

I learned how to play on a Japanese D-28 copy. I began upgrading with a 1959 Martin 0-15. It seemed like a lesser guitar, but recorded well (I gave it to a friend). I bought an early (1993) Lowden S25 which had an abused cedar top and sounded amazing. I gave it to a guy I know who plays it well.

I then got a 2010 Larrivee L-03W, which sounds a little harmonically 'tight'.

I bought way over my need, in June 2021, I got an Applegate SJ which has become my desert island guitar. Sounds full and harmonically complex.

2019 Applegate SJ

Last edited by GuitarsFromMars; 02-02-2022 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Bifurcated question, at least as I understand it. Some are answering half of the pair of questions that I read as you're asking.

This post's title makes it seem like you're asking about spending more than you think you can afford or deserve to afford relative to your playing level. This topic comes up from time to time. Budgets and "opportunity costs" vary so much that's it's hard to come up with an answer for a stranger, though we often try, usually using our own judgements/experience, which may or may not apply to you. Even so, you've heard that some have stretched to a better or more expensive guitar and thought it worthwhile.

Then the post itself seems to saying that you've found and likely played a guitar that you think is not suited to what you do. Perhaps you're an electric guitar player. or you associate 00 sized guitars with delicate fingerpicking,* or you're a rank beginner looking to make a clean first position F chord (you don't say). And yet you somehow find this guitar appealing.

Again, budgets and opportunity costs vary -- but yes, I've had the experience of buying a guitar and letting it teach me what it can do and how it works. I don't generally go with pricier guitars for this sort of exploration myself -- but that's my budget and it may not be yours. Yes, that can be happen.

And if it turns out it doesn't work for you, or it teaches you all you can learn from it, well then you can sell it. Maybe you lose some money on the deal, but experience has some value. Think of how much you or someone else might spend on vacation trip for comparison.

*My experience with OO guitars is that examples I've owned can be strummed, used for slide, even picked heavily for volume and punch. They are not necessarily "one trick ponies."
This was a well thought out response, thank you for it. You touched on several things that I've been rolling around in my head.

When it comes to buying nice things for the pure joy of owning and using them, I don't do a lot of that. I've been playing for over 30 years, but I own my young man's guitar quiver, purchased 25-30 years ago and consisting of a pair of playable, but not inspiring electrics and a middling 12 string; and a Martin LXM that I bought to travel with about 15 years ago, and that's it. So I am very inexperienced in making adult value judgments on this topic for myself. (The various philosophies espoused in this thread have therefore been wonderful to read and consider.)

You also were spot on forecasting my concern that I was considering the purchase of a guitar that somehow wouldn't be suited to what I ALREADY know and love best, which is strumming and singing. I am a little worried that I won't live up to the guitar technically; my flat picking and fingerpicking are only okay. So those words are very helpful.

Lastly, it is expensive. I am in a career that took a long time to bear fruit, and while I am happy with my income now, I was on poverty wages for many years getting here. I have four kids who are fixing to start cycling into college, and the way I think about having some money is a work in progress. I have already considered and dismissed not discussing the purchase with my wife, so I'm trying hard to understand my own motivations, so that I can clearly elucidate those when I make my pitch.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

If I understand what the OP is asking, then I have done that and as soon as the newness wore off it got traded for what I probably should have gotten in the first place.

I think that finding that one special guitar is more about accepting that you found it than it is about actually finding it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-29-2022, 12:21 PM

I think the only real considerations here is whether it fits your budget and whether you think it’s the right guitar for you. If the answers are yes, go for it in good conscience.

I’m not being flippant… I’ve gone through a similar decision, I bought the guitar, and have no regrets.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:25 PM

Seriously, everyone who has responded to this… Thank you so much. This is got to be the most civil community on the Internet.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

…welcome Antbar….you have gas…..if you hang out here much somebody is gonna light a match….then…woe is you….just kidding…kind of…
Old 01-29-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Seriously, everyone who has responded to this… Thank you so much. This is got to be the most civil community on the Internet.
That's very nice...and quite true! Welcome!!

With regard to your question......before I ventured to a 00 ( from SJ and OM territory), I spent a good afternoon playing that size to make sure of the "fit". All good......and then a Bourgeois 00 came my way.

The factor of is it too good....naw......doesn't for me enter into the equation!

Actions speak louder than words, so I hope you'll be at the music store bright and early!!! If not...well, best wishes in the continued journey!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-29-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Lastly, it is expensive. I am in a career that took a long time to bear fruit, and while I am happy with my income now, I was on poverty wages for many years getting here. I have four kids who are fixing to start cycling into college, and the way I think about having some money is a work in progress. I have already considered and dismissed not discussing the purchase with my wife, so I'm trying hard to understand my own motivations, so that I can clearly elucidate those when I make my pitch.
I know your motivation very well. Many of us have been at a similar stage in life. My guess is your subconscious is saying, “If I don’t do this now, it’ll never happen.” You’ve been responsible all of these years and have asked for so little in return.

You absolutely have to discuss this with your wife (ask me how I know), but she only wants you to be happy. If that $2500 guitar (or whatever) is the means to that happiness, it’s a small price to pay. And then, when you are toiling away paying for college (the loans seem to stretch on and on), you’ll say to yourself, “I am so glad that I bought this guitar when I did. It’s given me so much joy.”

And Remember, you’ll be dead a long time.

College will get paid for… somehow it works. All of the financial forms and formulas are very finely tuned. I was amazed at how they nailed us. We’re beyond it now and there was plenty left to retire. Amazing.

Good luck with this all. As I implied, it all works out. And if you want one more worry, after college, how many weddings will you need to pay for? (Subtext: better buy that guitar right now!)

Best,

Rick
Old 01-29-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
...And if you want one more worry, after college, how many weddings will you need to pay for? (Subtext: better buy that guitar right now!) ...
I wish I had thought that far ahead. Fortunately, the kids' college and weddings (that I would pay for) are finally in the rear view mirror.
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 01-29-2022, 04:51 PM

I hope nobody discourages you from buying the guitar you love. It will make me feel like I need to sell the 1000 watt LD Maui 11g2 and all of the effects pedals that I own and NEVER use.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rko View Post
I hope nobody discourages you from buying the guitar you love. It will make me feel like I need to sell the 1000 watt LD Maui 11g2 and all of the effects pedals that I own and NEVER use.
If you’d like to buy some more effects pedals, let me know… I have a feeling I’m going to need to get rid of some of them to make this happen.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:22 PM

frankly, given the context provided in this thread, my recommendation would be to not purchase the collings. the instrument is worth the money perhaps (excellent guitar), but not the stress that seems evident here.

all this talk of running out and getting "the one" when you see it sounds like a collective romanticism. and a rather obtrusive validation of self. reminds me of the ever persistent social psyche around partnerships. we all know how that's working out for us.

perhaps there is no such thing as 'the one' outside of recurring decision making. which, gee, entails work. yes, even with guitars. or anything else for that matter.

perhaps the best instruments are the ones we have taken the time learn. the ones to whom we have given in the form of patience, accommodation and diligence as much as we have taken.

all the best to you.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I'm going to ask what may be a really dumb question. It barely even qualifies as a question, but more like a conversation prompt. Here goes.

If you find a guitar and truly love it, but the type of guitar is intended for something other than what you historically like to do, should you keep searching until you find the Cinderella guitar, or just buy the dadblasted thing and let your love for what it is shape your playing?

(It's a Collings 002H.)
OM/OOOs are very versatile. Short of extremely aggressive strumming and flatpicking, I can't think of much they can't do well. Just what is it that you worry about it not doing?

Sounds like it seriously spun your crank. As such, it deserves another look.

Keep in mind that tastes may change. I use to like full jumbos. Now I mostly play 000 and 00s.

OMMV
Old 01-29-2022, 11:34 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
If you've come here to be talked out of buying a guitar you've been misled.
I apologize for taking up space, but this caught me as so dang hilarious I just had to comment. Thanks so much for the chuckles.

IBANEZ AE-305
IBANEZ AF-75JBB
IBANEZ AFG-95
IBANEZ AFC-95
IBANEZ LGB-30
ALVAREZ MD60EBG
MARTIN D-10E-02

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion