The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2022, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Great playing and your demonstration proves that there doesn’t always have to be a “best.” I like the crisp balanced range of the Collings; throaty and earthy flavor of the H&D; and as always, the warm resonant personality of the SCGC.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I need to do these tests blindfolded.
I hear things very differently when I don't see which guitar is being played.

With that said, I was impressed with all three and could not pick a winner with just that one song, played in drop D or whatever tuning was used.
I think that's true for more of us than will admit.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Hi Larry,

That was really a fun demonstration and really well done! Very nice playing, nice to see and hear you on video, and I really enjoyed hearing all of the OM guitars!

I own a Collings OM1A deep body (sitka/Mahogany) from 2009 and I own a Santa Cruz OM/PW (sitka/EIR) from 2010, and your demo of the Collings OM1A and the Santa Cruz OM/PW (sitka/mahogany) sounded very much like the sounds I am so familiar with.

I also enjoyed hearing the Huss & Dalton, which had a response in between the sounds of the Collings and the Santa Cruz.

I would love to have all three of those guitars because they each sound so good! I suppose it's no coincidence that I own two very similar OM guitars on the two extremes of the sounds you demonstrated. It doesn't have to be "EITHER-OR."

Thanks for this Larry. I really enjoyed every bit of your video!

- Glenn
Old 02-15-2022, 01:59 AM

As always, the softer sound (as one poster described it) of the Santa Cruz doesn't really suit my taste. I much preferred the other two. And while I have a terrific Collings OM1A, I preferred the Huss and Dalton in the demo. I thought the highs were exceptionally balanced with a warmer bass than the Collings, and not as reticent as those of the Santa Cruz.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

The definition of the Collings makes it the one for me. If strummed more towards the neck you would get the warmth of the other two fine on it.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:37 AM

Great video!

It would be optimal if all the guitar strung with same model of string!

The SC sounded nice imho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Hello AGF friends!

Yes, the title of the thread is a bit broad, but I thought I'd share a comparison video of similar guitars from these three great makers. All three are spruce topped/mahogany backed OM's, and all are from the "traditional" or "pre-war" designs of their makers.

It's not truly an apples to apples comparison, as there are a couple of important differences to note. The Collings OM1-ATS has an Adirondack top with a satin finish, the H&D TOM-M has an Italian Spruce top and sinker mahogany, and the Santa Cruz OM/PW has a sitka top.

Also the H&D is a brand new guitar, the Collings was built in 2020, and the Santa Cruz (one of my personal guitars) is from 2007.

All three have new phosphor bronze light strings (D'Addario EXP's for the Collings and H&D, and Santa Cruz low tension on the SC).

Differences in tone are somewhat subtle, but definitely there. I'll be happy to share my impressions, but first would love to hear what your thoughts are.

Here is the video and thanks for checking it out! (If you want to skip my jabbering, the playing starts at 0:58).

Old 02-15-2022, 11:52 AM

Having played and heard in person a couple (if not all three) of those guitars...they are all majestic in-room and from the player's perspective.

As others have written, if you close your eyes and just put on a great set of headphones, you'll be hard pressed to figure out "which one is best". Not that there aren't tonal differences, but without the eyes to lead your brain, you'll likely find something to appreciate in all three. I've owned and played dozens of each brand (okay, maybe less than a dozen of the H&D because of the lower factory output) and I can say there isn't truly a "sound" to any of these makers because they make so many body sizes and wood combinations that their tonal spectrum can run the gamut.

Where I end up leaning towards Santa Cruz for my own personal preferences is that they generally are a little lighter than the other two brands. I chalk this up mostly to their use of a dovetail joint, which overall saves a little weight compared to bolt-on variants, in addition to maybe being a little more aggressive in pursuing a lighter overall build. My two two SCGC OMs flirt with the 4 pound mark (I think one was 4.05 lbs and the other 3.995 lbs according to the food scale I have) and my 1934D was 4lbs 3oz according to the fish scale at the dealer if I remember correctly.

And another mark for SCGC for me is another highly personal preference: their neck carves. For my hand, their necks just feel like home, regardless of nut width (I have both 1 3/4 and 1 11/16) and depth (I believe my 1934D has a slim neck carve vs. my OMs which have their standard neck carve). They just for me are the easiest playing necks I own.

Given that all three are routinely churning out fantastic sounding instruments, my tiebreakers go to my personal preferences of lighter weight and neck carve. But having owned a Collings for a while, and still owning an H&D TD-R, all three are top flight builders.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 02-15-2022, 05:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks to all who responded! I knew I could count on AGF members to provide insightful comments!

My intention wasn't to determine which guitar is "the best" (I don't think that's possible), but to provide a tool for determining differences in tone between three similarly constructed guitars from three top tier guitar builders. I could easily make a case to own any, or even all, of these guitars as they are all beautifully constructed and have wonderful playability and tone.

As many of you noted, there definitely are differences in tone. I was trying to put it into words, and then I read Paul's description here, which is right on and more eloquent than I can do:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
... I like the crisp balanced range of the Collings; throaty and earthy flavor of the H&D; and as always, the warm resonant personality of the SCGC.
Here is my take:

-- The Collings has a clear, piano like tone, with a smooth and very present midrange and wonderful articulation. A very versatile and precise instrument.

-- The Huss and Dalton has an appealing, warm organic woodiness, an "earthy flavor" as Paul put it, that is amazing in a brand new guitar. It has plenty of bass and volume, just a wonderful and soulful guitar.

-- The Santa Cruz has a more open bass, with smooth and warm trebles. It has a solidity to its tone that always attracts me to that brand. It just sounds like "the truth" to me, if that makes any sense. I own and love this guitar.

Thanks again, folks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion