The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2022, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbar View Post
.......If you find a guitar and truly love it, but the... guitar is intended for something other than what you historically like to do, should you...just buy the dadblasted thing and let your love for what it is shape your playing?.....
Ask a question on AGF re whether -or not- to buy a guitar you love? LOL Talk about a rhetorical question...Just kidding. Seriously, I think a guitar that motivates you to explore new genre, methods, etc. is one of the very best reasons to acquire it.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Congrats on your new D-28! They are wonderful guitars. Enjoy.
Best,
Jayne
Old 02-14-2022, 12:57 PM

I just saw that this thread title popped back up. There's NO SUCH THING as more guitar than you need!! Every single car made will do in excess of 100 MPH and that's way past the speed limit and all the vehicle we need! Yet, we still buy them! Enjoy the biggest, baddest guitar you want! Who knows what lies in your Guitar Future!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-14-2022, 02:21 PM

Thanks, all. As I was leaving the shop, the gentleman who sold it to me said “don’t use 13s… Martins don’t like 13s.” Since 13s were what I had in mind, would anyone care to weigh in on that piece of casual wisdom?
Old 02-14-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks, all. As I was leaving the shop, the gentleman who sold it to me said “don’t use 13s… Martins don’t like 13s.” Since 13s were what I had in mind, would anyone care to weigh in on that piece of casual wisdom?
My HD-28 came with Martin lifespan 13s from the factory, I actually tried 12s on it and removed them shortly after because they didn’t seem to bring out the kind of tone and volume that’s it’s capable of. Maybe your salesman prefers 12s, and maybe you will too…but I wouldn’t go as far as to say that martins prefer 12s.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
My personal experience sharply disagrees with the salesman's statement. My HD-28 sounds great with 13's. So far I've used DR Rare, DR Sunbeams, Mapes and Curt Mangan phosphor bronze .013 strings on it. Much deeper, richer, fuller tone than with the 12's it came with.

My favorite strings on it are the Mangan's of course.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He is correct. Martins don't like 13s. Martins love 13s.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Mine’s never had anything but 13s on it! None of my dreads get anything less!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-15-2022, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I recently moved to 12's on my Martin Dreads, but they are all either older or pretty lightly built. I'll grant that the tone is a bit stronger with 13's, but I love the playability of 12's.

The default for a Martin Dreadnought is 13 gauge strings though. I'd start there and then try a lighter gauge if you'd like.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 02-15-2022, 10:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

To all my buddies here, I've learned that this is the worst place to ask members to convince you to buy the cheaper guitar. We LOVE spending other people's money.

Case in Point: When I joined here in 2014, I owned three guitars and one mandolin. I now own fifteen guitars and four mandolins.

You people are downright evil.

Scott Memmer
Old 02-15-2022, 04:45 PM

Go ahead and buy out ahead of the curve. Then, you can let your playing catch up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion