The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2022, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on the J-45. Sounds like good advice and a great wife.
Old 02-14-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
The one thing that I did and have no regrets for was back in 1983, I was looking to upgrade my all laminated Yamaha for a nicer guitar.

The guy that sold me the Yamaha in 1970 said it was time for me to upgrade to a Martin guitar.
I didn't know what a Martin was at the time but I trusted his judgement.
He didn't sell Martin guitars so I looked elsewhere.

I found my life guitar on that search.
It's my beloved 1982 Martin D-35.

A lot of guitars have come and gone sense that purchase but the D-35 will always be with me.

I had to take out a 3 year loan to get the Martin but it was well worth it.
Reminds me of my path of having 2 of those laminated Yamaha FG-???'s and then a Washburn, from the mid-70's up until 1990 when I made the leap to a new HD28... within a few years, I stepped onto the slippery slope of having multiple guitars and have been riding that folly ever since... no interventions so far... better than a gambling habit... though there is a little gambling involved anyway...

Again, congrats to the OP!
Old 02-14-2022, 02:45 PM

Coldnose, congrats on the J-45! Sometimes life gets in the way which delays spending a lot of money (relatively speaking) on a guitar.

Now that you have a J-45, are you going to buy another similarly priced guitar? It can be addictive
Old 02-14-2022, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

I would concur. The J 45/D 18 level is low priced enough many should consider one, high enough up the chain you won't ever get another sonic bump like lat moving up any more. I hate it when I see guys with multiple $800 guitars, good as they are these days.

Having your J 45, you can go into the finest guitar shop in the land, and walk out without that dreadful longing feeling. You'll just go home and play your guitar. Sure, you can and maybe will buy more down the road, but they would have to be special, a sliding scale term as ever there was one.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-15-2022, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Sage advice for sure. After I retired and decided to get back into playing guitar I figured I'd buy a new guitar once a year. Then I thought about how many more years I might have left and realized that maybe every couple months was a wiser decision . Enjoy your new Gibson!
Now that got me laughing. I am defiantly taking your advice under advisement.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-15-2022, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on the new guitar.

I appreciate the OP’s sentiment.
My first good guitar came back in the 90s, after playing for 15 years. And for a while I was content. But in the last 3 years a picked up a couple of guitars that are a few steps above good.
I’m pushing 60 so it did not take me as long as the OP, but ....if I only knew then what I know now.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 02-15-2022 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:44 AM

Congrats on the J-45! I completely agree. I am just about to turn 50, and I finally felt comfortable enough about spending the funds to get my long-time grail guitar, the Martin D-35, a few weeks ago. I could have afforded it long ago, but always felt like it would have been an unnecessary luxury based on my overall skill as a player. I should have gotten the D-35 a long time ago, because it is giving me a ton of joy and I feel as if I am actually improving because I am playing it so much.

I am sure you will enjoy the excellent J-45 for many years to come.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Great advice, and congrats on the J-45!
I still consider myself a Martin guy, but I do have and play a 45, and they are truly special guitars! Sort of like the F-150 of vehicles, and yes, even if you hate Ford, you have to admit the F-150 is a helluva "get it done" truck. Same for the J-45!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-15-2022, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Happy Birthday, congrats on a great guitar and thank you for reminding us to buy such great instruments!
Old 02-15-2022, 10:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldnose View Post
I got my first guitar in 1964 or so. I have owned many guitars over the years and enjoyed all of them. None of them have been what one would consider "great" guitars but they have all been good or at least adequate. A couple of days ago my wife bought me a Gibson J-45 for my 70th birthday. My observation is don't wait till you are 70 to get a great guitar. Go for it NOW you will not be sorry. All of my current guitars are nice but none of them inspire me to play more than this one. Having what I consider a pro quality instrument is not only inspiring but one of the best ways to realize your potential.
Congrats on your slope dread. So glad you're enjoying that beauty.

I agree on your advice. I got my first Martin D-28 after playing for only a few years. That was roughly forty years ago.

scott memmer
Old 02-15-2022, 10:51 AM

The J45 is my favorite Gibson — congratulations! Everyone who loves playing guitar and actually has made it a regular part of life deserves a good one. And I’m with Br1ck in that it always baffles me to see someone with multiple mediocre guitars, when they could all be sold to get one really good one. A quality instrument makes all the difference. OP, may you play yours in peace and good health for many years to come.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, Coldnose! Great wife! Your guitar is also a great one. I have a few Gibsons and I love my J45s. Yes, I have more than one, lol. But even my 'standard J45' or whatever the name is, is great in its own way. Also has a pickup and sounds fine to the masses at gigs. And sho is purty. And Gibsony. (I also like other brands.)
Old 02-15-2022, 12:11 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:33 PM

Thinking about it I went in the opposite direction. Once I hit my late 60s all of sudden the idea of spending any kind of money on a guitar seemed just plain silly. I was pretty much sitting at that level where while I never got as good on guitar as I wanted, I am not half as bad as I think I am. I only play in front of others maybe once every two months. And no matter what guitar I am playing I just sound like me.
Old 02-15-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
...I have owned many guitars over the years and enjoyed all of them. None of them have been what one would consider "great" guitars....
About 10 years ago I got back into acoustics by GASSING over Epiphone Masterbilts. Not "great" guitars, but I enjoyed them....

Quote:
A couple of days ago my wife bought me a Gibson J-45 for my 70th birthday.... Having what I consider a pro quality instrument is not only inspiring but one of the best ways to realize your potential.
Super major congrats! I always dreamed about a J-45. Was just about to get a similar J-15 when they first came out, but was waylaid by a Guild jumbo F50R. This is my pro quality instrument, and I no longer have those Gibson dreams. Of course, I'm mostly playing my Guild jumbo 12-strings anyway -- also super pro quality -- but you're right: great guitars are greatly inspiring!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion