The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2022, 01:45 PM

Default Upgrade guitar from 70's Epiphone FT-150

I have an Ephiphone FT-150 which was my dads. I've played it for a long time and think it's a fine guitar. I feel the sound is very subdued compared when I've strummed on a more modern guitar, even the cheaper variety. So I was thinking, maybe it's time to upgrade. I've heard good things about the Yamaha FS-800. Do you think this would be an improvement or at this price point would you say it's not really worth getting another guitar?
Old 02-08-2022, 03:12 PM

Welcome to AGF! Only you can decide about getting another guitar. The Yamaha is a highly regarded entry level guitar around here. If you're going to get something I'd aim a little higher at this point.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 02-08-2022, 04:32 PM

Do you want a smaller size guitar?
The FS-830 is about the size of an OM.
If you want a full size guitar, which will be louder and fuller sounding go with the Yamaha FG-830.

There are other makers in this price range but the Yamaha is hard to beat.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:01 PM

I've never heard an unkind word about Yamaha instruments. I'd say go ahead and grab one. You might enjoy having a smaller bodied guitar than you're used to, and the variety.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:57 PM

Most Epiphones from the '70s (including, I believe, the FT150) had laminated tops. Hard to build a laminated top guitar that doesn't sound dead. A contemporary Yamaha guitar with a solid top will almost certainly be an upgrade.

Keep the Epiphone because it was your father's, but appreciate it for its sentimental value rather than its sonic value.

I grew up playing an Epiphone from the '70s and upgrading made a world of difference.

Larry
Old 02-08-2022, 08:17 PM

Of course, you can explore lots of options, but the Yamaha 800's are really great guitars if their playing specifications match your preferences. With a good representative sample and proper set-up/string match, they almost defy expectations. I just think of them as good guitars.

Consider this. We recently gave an FGX800C to our daughter. Today, my brother who is a pretty accomplished modern fingerstyle player was visiting. He commented several times on how great this guitar sounded when she played. All the while, he was holding my Yamaha AC5R and noodling. He never mentioned my guitar! Perhaps, it was the rosewood! Yet, I certainly understand where he was coming from.

If you can do a dread, GC had a used 800C listed for just over $200 yesterday. Still, I find it hard to believe how they do it. Good luck with your search and enjoy your next guitar.

Best,

Mac
Old 02-09-2022, 08:31 AM

Keep it as a 'campfire guitar', that's what my old Epi is now!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-09-2022, 10:36 AM

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I didn't realize that the FS-800 a smaller bodied guitar. I guess that's not necessarily a drawback. I had a cheap throwaway classical guitar once and want to fingerpick more. It's funny I've played guitar for over 20 years but it wasn't until recently when I thought hey maybe I should try a different guitar. I've had GAS for synths before but never for guitars somehow.

Some people say you need to adjust the action out of the box. From those who either have one, is this typically true? How are they with intonation like will it need a setup out of the box?
Old 02-09-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleaxe View Post
Some people say you need to adjust the action out of the box. From those who either have one, is this typically true? How are they with intonation like will it need a setup out of the box?
You will get reports from those that needed a set-up and those that say it was perfect from the get-go. My guess is 50-50 from the posts I have read. To me, I think this is probably indicative of whether the retailer gave any attention to the guitar before shipping it or putting it on the floor.

In our case, we needed a neck relief adjustment and the nut slots needed filed. The action was set nicely low from the factory and needed no adjustment. A lot of posts do mention the nut slot height. This and the relief are what lead me to think they are often missing the retailer adjustments at arrival from Yamaha, perhaps more often from some high-volume retailers. The intonation on ours is excellent and as good or better than anything in the house.

Guitar Center did show a used FG830 last night for just over $200, which is a nice price on this higher appointed model in the 800 series. The 800C I mentioned in earlier post is no longer available. These go fast but are commonly available used if you wanted to give one a trial audition without full commitment. Good luck in finding one that works for you.

Best,

Mac
Old 02-14-2022, 03:07 PM

Smile

Thank you again, Mac ! Thank you to everyone else who had input for me. I ended up buying a Yamaha FS800 from Guitar Center. I already received it and I love the sound. It Doesn't have the low end of a larger guitar, but I love the brightness of it. I find it may be a little easier to sing with it as well which perhaps the larger body guitar has more frequency crossover with my voice?

Anyway, I was reminded of what I love about the update: how much easier it is to play. I feel like I frequently mess up the fretting with the Epiphone because it's so much harder to play. On top of this, I like the lighter weight and just smaller size for placing it in random places. I'm very happy.

One thing that I want to get your input on is the potential fret buzz on the E string. I've never owned a new guitar so am not sure if the low E string should be buzzing a little like it does in the mp3 I posted.

I'm not sure if this needs a slight setup to remedy this buzz or if it sounds good as is to your ears.
Old 02-14-2022, 04:40 PM

Congratulations! I am glad you are liking it. The small bodies sure are comfortable, and yours sounds nice.

Since you are finding it comfortable to play, I will assume the action is at a reasonable level. Also, if you find it just as easy to fret in the first few frets as down the neck, I'll assume that the nut slots are pretty good as well. You will feel high nut slots by noticing it is harder to fret in the first couple of frets, especially a "f" barre chord in first fret.

Listening to the clip, I hear what might be minor string to fret contact as you play the low E and A strings moving to the middle of the neck. Is this what you hear? These are common strings for things to show-up.

I would "speculate" the guitar needs a bit more neck relief, which usually requires a small truss rod adjustment. This is common when guitars change locations and environmental conditions. However, there can be a host of minor adjustable issues that also result in unwanted noises, including the saddle being filed too low. A set-up will address all of these. However, you can try a few of the set-up steps on your own to see if you can remedy it. It all depends on your comfort level. If you are at all uncomfortable, seek out a luthier or trusted tech.

I think these resources do a great job of explaining and demonstrating set-up techniques. You don't have to have all the tools mentioned and there are facsimiles that will work in some cases. I would start with the Music Nomad video since it's a visual instructional. A neck relief change by adjusting the truss rod is fairly straightforward if you follow the guidance and go slowly/carefully. Our Yamaha uses a 4mm hex key (allen wrench) for the adjustment. Your guitar may have included one. However, many times they get lost in the shuffle.

Let us know how it goes and what works to get things perfect. Hope this helps.

Best,

Mac

Music Nomad Set-up Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un7JPdb5GAg&t=973s

Forum member Charles Tauber's generous Set-up Guide

https://www.charlestauber.com/luthie...May%202015.pdf

Frank Ford's popular site's Buzz Diagnosis Page

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...buzzintro.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion