The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2022, 07:09 PM
Runaway Tomato

Default NGBD - Taylor Gig Bag - UPDATED first use

Today I received a new Taylor Structured Gig Bag, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I'll comment in a week or two, after some practical use. My plan is to use the Gig Bag when I take the 814ce out of the house to play - which is Sunday Church service and an occasional coffeehouse or "meeting" of some type (for example, Bible studies at ppl's homes). Then leave the guitar in its humidified HSC when at home. The light weight, storage capability, and backpack straps are very attractive to me - now I'll only need one trip to the church building from the car!!

First impression during unpacking is very good. It seems well-built and high quality, with meaty zippers and plenty of room in the gear storage area. The guitar fits perfectly.

Like I said, after a couple or three weeks of practical use I'll post a short review if any of y'all might be interested in adding a Gig Bag for -- um -- Gigs.

Unpacking photos:

KiMo (the guitar) fits perfectly

Former AGF Moderator

Last edited by Mark Stone; 02-13-2022 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:02 AM

Mark, great that you received the gig bag. Interested to read about your gig bag "in action".

Are you planning on carrying it like a hard case (by the hand) or over your shoulder/back?
Old 02-12-2022, 10:05 AM

These are about the best gig bags in my opinion. I've hauled my GS Mini all over the US and Canada in one and it has done it's job and doesn't look much worse for it. Perfect compromise between protection, durability, and light weight.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:41 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Mark, great that you received the gig bag. Interested to read about your gig bag "in action".

Are you planning on carrying it like a hard case (by the hand) or over your shoulder/back?
Hi Dru,

Over my shoulders like a backpack. I will actually have a free hand to carry coffee and open doors when setting up -- plus only one trip from the car to the stage! Wooooo!
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-12-2022, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Yep. One trip from car to stage is SWEET. Nice get, Mark.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-12-2022, 12:08 PM

Very nice. This looks like a pretty safe home for your 814 when out. I have found Taylors bags to be top of the line in very fashion. A 110 I had for a while came with the basic entry bag, and it was flawless after having been carried around for a decade.

Best,

Mac
Old 02-12-2022, 10:52 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
These are about the best gig bags in my opinion. I've hauled my GS Mini all over the US and Canada in one and it has done it's job and doesn't look much worse for it. Perfect compromise between protection, durability, and light weight.
Clicks "Like"
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-13-2022, 01:32 AM

Back when I had several Taylors, I picked up a preowned Taylor gig bag and used it quite a bit - still have it even tho the Taylors are gone.

Very well built, rugged, protective and light.
A must have for easier traveling with your guitar.
2019 Ryan Nightingale Bearclaw Sitka/EIR

Old 02-13-2022, 08:42 AM

About a dozen or so years ago, there was an eBay seller offering Taylor Big Baby gig bags for $25 including shipping. I bough 4. They are excellent and work well for smaller bodied guitars.
Cheap Squier Electrics
Quit counting the ones that have come and gone.

I am not afraid to work on my own guitars
Old 02-13-2022, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new bag, Mark. I've recently gotten back into wooden guitars and Taylors. I don't play out except on travel's to my ladyfriend's house. I picked up a bag like the OP's as well as an Aerocase. I appreciate the lightweight, and these bags provide all the protection that I require for my guitars...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-13-2022, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

I predict you'll like it. I love the gig bags for my GS mini and 12 string Taylors. When in Nashville you'll see very few working players with a HSC but lots of gig bags. In part because they have to park far away from the gigs and backpacking your axe in is much easier. Enjoy!
Old 02-13-2022, 04:50 PM

No experience with this bag. But I've been an avid user of Mono gig bags for many years. Got my first one long ago ...now have four!

A genuinely good guitar bag should never be confused with mere "gig bags." A simple price check of Mono, Reunion Blues, Access, or the like will immediately reveal that either these units are a world apart from mere "gig bags," or all their users are utter fools who drank the kool aid and enjoy overpaying.

Enjoy the superior convenience as much as the confidence that your guitar is safely protected in a quality case.

Edward
Old 02-13-2022, 07:17 PM
Runaway Tomato

I used it this morning at church (rehearsal and two services) and it was wonderful. I was able to carry all of my gear in one trip from (and back to) the car, and using the Gig Bag as a backpack was actually quite comfortable. There was plenty of room in the storage compartment for everything (tools, extra batteries, strings, cables, headphones, capo, tuner, direct box, etc.), and the 814ce fit snugly in the case. I'm happy.

Only one issue: I'm 6 feet 3 inches and when the bag is on my back, the neck end of the case extends a leeeetle too high. I have to be careful going through doorways to make sure there's room - not a dealbreaker, for sure, but for us tall people it's something to think about. I have to remember to duck sometimes . I only bashed the neck into a door once - no damage.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-14-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
I used it this morning at church (rehearsal and two services) and it was wonderful. I was able to carry all of my gear in one trip from (and back to) the car, and using the Gig Bag as a backpack was actually quite comfortable. There was plenty of room in the storage compartment for everything (tools, extra batteries, strings, cables, headphones, capo, tuner, direct box, etc.), and the 814ce fit snugly in the case. I'm happy.

Only one issue: I'm 6 feet 3 inches and when the bag is on my back, the neck end of the case extends a leeeetle too high. I have to be careful going through doorways to make sure there's room - not a dealbreaker, for sure, but for us tall people it's something to think about. I have to remember to duck sometimes . I only bashed the neck into a door once - no damage.
Mark, sounds like it's a great purchase. Anyway you can set the straps lower so that that guitar sits lower? Although that may make it a little too loose on the back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion