The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2024, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

I did a very nice trade (J45 Historic for a Les Paul Murphy) a few months ago. It was a pleasure, as we both wanted what the other had. Communication was great, got to know each other and did a perfectly fine trade, both happy.

Maybe trading is the way to go for the foreseeable future for we boomers. A few hundred $ here and there, up and down.

But I know that doesn't help the many on AGF that have a lot of guitars. Hey - maybe 2 for one trades? Soon then trade market will heat up.
I bought single luthier built guitar (Fairbanks F20) about a month ago and am in love. 3lbs 2oz, tone for days, playability like the proverbial butter. Maybe I'll trade my 00028CAA & my Martin 000-18GE for another Fairbanks or a Kopp or Brondel, or??

Just ideas. Tomorrow is a NeW Day!!!

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 03-26-2024, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldstar View Post
I have seen a lot of people trying to get unrealistic prices on used stuff for a long time, and I see this as a long-needed market adjustment back towards normal.
I would agree with you - i feel some of the prices rocketed upwards
into the insane area -some sold ( probably thinking prices would even go higher )
but nobody is an expert when you consider all thats happened over the past 3 - 4 years -

Theirs an old saying -( thou related to art ) buy what you really like and if it doesnt go up in value
at least you like it . some folks bought with the feeling they could flip it.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

I was happy 12 and 18 months ago to pay 30% and 35% off MAP for my two great used Martin dreads in pristine condition. I suppose today the fair prices would be another 15% to 20% off MAP? But would the owners be willing to offer them at those prices? Those instruments don’t show up like that today.

No regrets.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 03-26-2024, 08:09 PM

Well. Getting top dollar is definitely not like it was during the gear drought. Used instruments went through the roof just like cars and everything. Now everything has caught back up and people have less money in general. Still, you can easily get a fast sale with the right price but it might be as low as 50% of what you paid into it. For me that is my worst case scenario price but I think that's easily available.
Gibson J200 Studio Rosewood
Ovation Elite Standard
Old 03-26-2024, 08:25 PM

Used market is slower but not graveyard".

Maybe just here in the SF bay area. Since I'm constantly buying and selling, I know the market pretty well. (Hoping to slow down GAS, but good deals that I lose money on keeps on coming

Currently, based on personal experience, guitars will sell if they are priced at ~50% MAP. Recently sold a 2023 Taylor 314ce for $1200 and a 2019 (but bought in 2023) Fender Am Pro II strat for $800. Both guitars sold within a week.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

I do think trading might become a little more common if sellers are up to the idea.
I listed a Martin D-41 a here few weeks ago, and received several fair trade offers. They just were not quite the guitar I was looking for. However I did not receive any cash offers.
I finally sold it locally for about 65% of retail value, fortunately I bought it used originally so I did not take a bath. However I received multiple low ball offers. Even with a marketable guitar it took a good month or so sell. So yeah it seems like the market has slowed significantly.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Smile This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
I did a very nice trade (J45 Historic for a Les Paul Murphy) a few months ago. It was a pleasure, as we both wanted what the other had. Communication was great, got to know each other and did a perfectly fine trade, both happy.

Maybe trading is the way to go for the foreseeable future for we boomers. A few hundred $ here and there, up and down.

But I know that doesn't help the many on AGF that have a lot of guitars. Hey - maybe 2 for one trades? Soon then trade market will heat up.
I bought single luthier built guitar (Fairbanks F20) about a month ago and am in love. 3lbs 2oz, tone for days, playability like the proverbial butter. Maybe I'll trade my 00028CAA & my Martin 000-18GE for another Fairbanks or a Kopp or Brondel, or??

Just ideas. Tomorrow is a NeW Day!!!
The Candy Store is open for biz. I believe this makes sense!
Want to downsize your collection? Not destitute yet? Trade two for one, or three for one…

Not sure why more folks don’t sell here? Complete specs, and description and clear well lit pics aren’t that difficult. Dealing with AGFers is usually easy. Try to talk on the phone!!!
Shipping is NOT that much hassle once you figure it out. INSURANCE, great packing, and prayer have worked for me! Haha

Want my list of shipping tips? PM me. Hope to help!

Play on

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-27-2024, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Used graveyard

I'm in Northeast Ohio also, and recently had to take a loss on 2 really nice guitars for sale locally, here, Reverb, etc. A Santa Cruz and a Morgan. Never would have thought that when I bought them for very fair prices.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:20 AM

I live in Deep South Texas, and buying and selling has indeed slowed down a bit.

I just did a Crazy good trade on FBMP yesterday.

This guy had a mint ‘94 PRS Goldtop Stanard 24 for sale for over 2 months.

I hit him about a possible guitar trade.

After telling him what I had, he said he was very interested in my ‘08 Gibson Wine LP Standard Plus.

I picked that guitar for $762 at a pawnshop a few years ago, so it was very good trade on my part.

He lived about 30 minutes away so I went to his home studio , and after trying out each other’s guitars we did the trade.

He works on guitars, so he installed new strings and intimated it at no extra charge.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 03-27-2024, 05:34 AM

I just went through some random ads in the "Classified - Guitars" section.

Some were priced as "$XYZ shipped."

Others were priced as "$XYZ PayPal Friends and Family" or "$XYZ, buyer pays shipping and PayPal fees."

Of those ads, I know which ones I consider purchasing and which ones I click off of before the pictures even have time to load.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmansBrother View Post
I just went through some random ads in the "Classified - Guitars" section.

Some were priced as "$XYZ shipped."

Others were priced as "$XYZ PayPal Friends and Family" or "$XYZ, buyer pays shipping and PayPal fees."

Of those ads, I know which ones I consider purchasing and which ones I click off of before the pictures even have time to load.
I’d wager you’re like a lot of us and need to know how much you’re paying up front. As soon as I see “net to me” I’m gone; zero interest. If nut width and basic specs aren’t listed I’m also leaving quickly.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

I have a chunk of money set aside for a high-level guitar. Part of that came from selling a nice guitar cheap as I felt this coming. Yet, I am not finding anything I really want. The guitars I'd go for don't come on the market and the ones that come close are asking too much money. I don't want close either. I keep playing the ones I have and asking myself what am I looking for? I keep coming up with the answer that I already have it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-27-2024, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

I recently took a bath onPRS SSH wood library that a couple years ago would be at least 1k higher
Old 03-27-2024, 08:34 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I am reading an article about what pawn shops can tell us about the economy. The anecdotal points are that pawn shops are flushed with inventory. They typically give thirty-to-ninety day loans but more and more people are pawning and not coming back. Apparently people act like pawn shops are a rainy-day fund. When there are more sellers than buyers, it typically means people are challenged to pay their bills.

I thik the huge dragon hoards of guitars and gear are much the same: when money is plentiful gutar lovers convert it guitars. When yimes become tight, they try to get some cash back from their collection. When too many people are trying to convert physical assets to cash, the value of the physical assets goes down.

Think on.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-27-2024, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

It’s also tax time. Gear sales around April 15th are generally slow.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion