The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-09-2023, 08:51 AM

Default Figured it out

I use 7s on the Resonator Guitar because I have converted it from 25.5 inches to 28.5 inches w/ a special "Kid Sized Baritone Conversion Neck" that was made by Yamaha
Old 12-14-2023, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest 33123 View Post
Hi guys,

I ask those with knowledge and experience, can one use light strings on a National reso? What I've read so far advises mediums, much like the John Pearse strings new Nationals are shipped with. I've read that using lights leads to rattles and they do not provide enough pressure on the cone for good tone.

Opinions?
Interesting. I have lights on my OMI Dobro roundneck. Sounds good to me, and it doesn't rattle. But maybe I should try mediums. What's the worst that could happen?
Old 12-14-2023, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Interesting. I have lights on my OMI Dobro roundneck. Sounds good to me, and it doesn't rattle. But maybe I should try mediums. What's the worst that could happen?
With mediums you will hear more of the fundamental note and it will be slightly easier to play slide without fretting out (if that's what you do). Of course finger-picking will be a little rougher. You get a little, you give a little
Old 01-07-2024, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Yeah, but Don Young at the National Reso-Phonic Guitar Company and I discussed this, back in the early 2000's when I was working with him and MacGregor Gaines to develop the National RM-1 mandolin. I asked him exactly this same question, and Don told me you can use any strings you want. The guitar just needs to be set up for it. . . .
Glad I read this. Thanks! I used to have a Smith & Young squareneck, and though it wasn't idea for me, it was a terrific instrument.

I'm hoping/planning to get a used National 0-12 sometime in 2024, and I will, indeed, want twelves on it. Glad I won't be defeating a good instrument. If you'd said Don told you mediums, I would've bitten the bullet and gone with it. Glad I don't have to.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
With mediums you will hear more of the fundamental note and it will be slightly easier to play slide without fretting out (if that's what you do). Of course finger-picking will be a little rougher. You get a little, you give a little
We now have a mag slide to allow for thinner strings
Old 03-25-2024, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

I currently have medium flat wounds on my new(ish) NRP Tricone and it's tuned to Open G. I'd like to tune it up to A but I'm not sure if that would be too much pressure on the cones. Does anyone have any experience with this they could share? Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments