The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2009, 08:10 PM

Default Sound Port Ratio

I am thinking about a sound port in my Applause AE36. Plays fine and it is great for the lake and general banging around without a care. The composite back is 0 input to the sound or the feel of the instrument and I get little to no feedback/feel/sound from behind it, not speaker feedback, I can not hear it.

I am going to put a port in it so "I" can hear it, curious if a ratio between the size of the hole in front -vs- the size of the sound port is relevant?

Jerry
Old 07-30-2009, 04:23 PM

I am sorry that no one has responded to your post but Alan Carruth says that a
1" hole on the apex of the upper bout is the best in his experience. Tim McKnight has some other shapes but still they are small. Since your guitar already has a sound hole in the top you are stuck really and cannot adjust the ratio as you might with a scratch build.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:28 PM

Not an expert, but when I researched sound ports it was very clear from those who seemed to know what they were doing that it was best to start with a smaller aperture and adjust from there if required.

I put a standard egg-shaped oval in one of my laminates (an old Sigma) and I'm very pleased with what I can now hear that those in front had always been able to (not that there are ever many people out there listening to me anyway).

Perhaps there is an optimum overall aperture dimension based on a guitar's body size and materials that can be divided among the sound hole and sound port(s).

Like enlarging the sound hole to emulate the White/Rice D-28, I fear that too much of an aggregate hole (whether a single opening or multiple) will dilute the tone and diminish the volume.

Hope an expert might chime in here, good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion