The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Martin HD-16R (used) vs. Martin GC Special 16 Style Rosewood (new)
Martin HD-16R (used) 19 54.29%
Martin GC Special 16 Style Rosewood (new) 16 45.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
My wife is doing better -- thanks!

Thanks very much for that link; this looks like a great deal!

The only thing that holds me back on the Special 16 is that it has the satin back/sides. I prefer gloss. Do you prefer satin? Is there an advantage to satin?

Oh, and with an acoustic-electric, I feel like I'm paying for something I don't need -- the electric part.
The satin finish just saves on labor cost to keep the price down. You can buff it out with the right polishing compound and some elbow grease if it bothers you. I have several satin finish guitars and it doesn't bother me. I'd rather have a thin satin finish than a glopped on gloss. If you don't want the pickup, carefully remove it and sell it for a few bucks. I don't think the included pickup is affecting the price much.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
The satin finish just saves on labor cost to keep the price down. You can buff it out with the right polishing compound and some elbow grease if it bothers you. I have several satin finish guitars and it doesn't bother me. I'd rather have a thin satin finish than a glopped on gloss. If you don't want the pickup, carefully remove it and sell it for a few bucks. I don't think the included pickup is affecting the price much.
Those are good points that I definitely need to consider, and will consider. Maybe it's common sense to get the Special 16 and be happy about getting a very good guitar and saving money. The main reason I wanted the HD-16R was for the Adi top, gloss finish, and scalloped but not forward shifted bracing. I thought that would give me some variety and be a little different from my HD-28. I just couldn't see paying almost standard series pricing for a 16 series guitar.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:

The only thing that holds me back on the Special 16 is that it has the satin back/sides. I prefer gloss. Do you prefer satin? Is there an advantage to satin?

Oh, and with an acoustic-electric, I feel like I'm paying for something I don't need -- the electric part.
I understand that we all have our preferences and I certainly don't mean this to come across as rude, but I think you'd be crazy to let satin B&S be a deciding factor in choosing a guitar. I have owned both satin and gloss, and I actually think satin is more comfortable to play even if gloss looks nicer. But to me it's a non-factor compared to tone and playability.

I understand your point about the electronics because I have no use for a pickup on an acoustic guitar and actually prefer guitars with no electronics. However, I have learned through experience that soundhole electronics don't affect the acoustic tone in any appreciable way and I barely even notice that they're there. E.g. I recently bought a 2004 D-16GT that has no electronics and I much prefer the tone and aesthetics of the Special 16, which is what led me to promptly sell the D-16GT and buy a 2nd Special 16...and I couldn't be happier.

Anyway, we obviously all have our own preferences so you might disagree with mine, but I just wanted to tell you about that GC deal in case you're interested.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith28 View Post
I understand that we all have our preferences and I certainly don't mean this to come across as rude, but I think you'd be crazy to let satin B&S be a deciding factor in choosing a guitar. I have owned both satin and gloss, and I actually think satin is more comfortable to play even if gloss looks nicer. But to me it's a non-factor compared to tone and playability.

I understand your point about the electronics because I have no use for a pickup on an acoustic guitar and actually prefer guitars with no electronics. However, I have learned through experience that soundhole electronics don't affect the acoustic tone in any appreciable way and I barely even notice that they're there. E.g. I recently bought a 2004 D-16GT that has no electronics and I much prefer the tone and aesthetics of the Special 16, which is what led me to promptly sell the D-16GT and buy a 2nd Special 16...and I couldn't be happier.

Anyway, we obviously all have our own preferences so you might disagree with mine, but I just wanted to tell you about that GC deal in case you're interested.
I didn't take your comments as being rude. Like Dave, you make good points, too. I appreciate your input, information, and opinions. And I'm going to check out that guitar that you linked to.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I didn't take your comments as being rude. Like Dave, you make good points, too. I appreciate your input, information, and opinions. And I'm going to check out that guitar that you linked to.
I would call the GC store where it's located. Good deals don't last long. Some people buy before pictures are even posted or they may sell it in store before they get pics up. At least then you could get an idea of condition and if you're lucky and get a good store they may text or email you pics if requested.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

At twelve hundred bucks, how much extra are you paying for the electronics?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 10-06-2022, 12:58 PM

I called and they said it was sold
Various other acoustics
Various electric guitars and amps
Old 10-06-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas View Post
I called and they said it was sold
Dang, not surprising considering the price. I'd be curious to know what sort of damage or issues it had to be listed as "good". I bought one listed as "Great" condition from GC for $1200 a couple weeks ago. It arrived in mint condition with zero wear except for a tiny bit of finish checking in one spot.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
At twelve hundred bucks, how much extra are you paying for the electronics?
That's a good point, too.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:43 PM

Maybe I should get a new one from MF or GC and see if I can still get a 15% discount. I could have the lifetime warranty then.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Maybe I should get a new one from MF or GC and see if I can still get a 15% discount. I could have the lifetime warranty then.
You could certainly do that (MF will give you the 15% off if you ask), but I really think the warranty is useless. It's the return policy that's critical for you considering your situation, and you get that with used gear as well. You're looking for a backup guitar, and realistically you will always prefer your D28. So why not save some $ in exchange for a few dings, etc?
Old 10-06-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith28 View Post
You could certainly do that (MF will give you the 15% off if you ask), but I really think the warranty is useless. It's the return policy that's critical for you considering your situation, and you get that with used gear as well. You're looking for a backup guitar, and realistically you will always prefer your D28. So why not save some $ in exchange for a few dings, etc?
I'll certainly consider a good used guitar. Whatever I get, I would like to get it form GC or MF for the return policy. Because, as you say, that's critical for me considering my situation.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Or you could spend at least twice as much for a (second) used HD-28 with no warrantee. Hmmm. What to do?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 10-07-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Or you could spend at least twice as much for a (second) used HD-28 with no warrantee. Hmmm. What to do?
I do like the standard series, but I couldn't spend twice as much, not even close to that.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:05 PM

Our perimeters require us to close a thread when it's in the 300's posts. Feel free to start another if you're so inclined.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion