The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2016, 08:47 AM

Default Anyone ever give up electric for acoustic?

A funny thing is happening to me these days. As I get older I am turning from the electric guitar and picking up my acoustic more and more. I've never been an acoustic guy because I always wanted to be the lead guy, and was always the electric player in the bands I've been in. But lately, I just am bored with electric and have really taken to acoustic.

I think part of this journey is that I never really owned a great acoustic until I bought my Taylor 414 last year. The sound is so inspiring and when I tune to DADGAD I just lose myself for hours....something that doesn't happen with electric anymore.

Anybody else experience this? Am I just taking a break or am I converting to an acoustic player? I haven't touched my electrics since October of last year and I just find the sound of an acoustic beautiful lately.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:55 AM

Yes. I started playing 20 years ago with a focus on electric. Always had an acoustic but it wasn't a focus.

I got into finger picking blues 3 years ago and I sold my electric, amps, etc. I also have the "right" acoustics for my style of play.

For me, focusing on acoustic and one general style of play has helped me.
Martin 000-18 GE
Martin 00-18v
National VS Tricone
Waterloo WL-14 LTR
Old 02-15-2016, 09:24 AM

I couldn't imagine just playing one or the other. I started lessons with an electric and graduated to the acoustic. But I pick up my 335 just as much as any of my acoustics.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances50 View Post
I couldn't imagine just playing one or the other. I started lessons with an electric and graduated to the acoustic. But I pick up my 335 just as much as any of my acoustics.
Yeah, I couldn't imagine selling off my electric gear (I no longer have much in that department) but I definitely don't see myself progressing much more in electric guitar.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

I've tried but the electric always calls me back so I just keep my trusty Gretsch and its there when I need it. I have a Bogner Alchemist amp that I use it with and they sound great together. I think I'm a 90% acoustic 10% electric guy now.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 02-15-2016, 09:34 AM

Hi Shades, I find it refreshing to switch between electric and acoustic. At least you're keeping your electric gear so it'll always be there. Enjoy your Taylor and DADGAD.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:37 AM
Guest 728

My electric guitar is practically an acoustic anyway.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:42 AM

Very similar feelings here. Right around the time my electric playing was beginning to plateau I got my Larrivee, and pretty quickly I was playing much more acoustic than electric. I had previously the Taylor, but never found it rewarding or fun to play - the Larrivee actually inspired me to pick up the acoustic more often!

Fingerstyle, open tunings, etc. have presented a cool new challenge and opportunity to learn something fresh. What's interesting is that I think the cross training has helped my electric playing! I spent a good chunk of time jamming on my electric yesterday, and I could swear I felt my lead playing was cleaner and smoother than ever!
Old 02-15-2016, 10:07 AM

Default Electric to Acoustic

I've always played acoustic. Occasionally I'll pick up an electric and and I realize why I don't play electric.

I guess you have to remind yourself every once in a while.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
I've always played acoustic. Occasionally I'll pick up an electric and and I realize why I don't play electric.

These are my feelings. I pick up my electric and the tone sounds so sterile (clean) with absolutely NO overtones, zilch. I know, you can insert some signal alterating devices, but that's just extra work.

I'll blow the dust off my electric(s) from time to time, but I'll be grabbing the acoustic 98% of the time,

H
Old 02-15-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post

Dave Matthews said something similar.

I agree with both of you.

I moved from bass (mostly electric, some upright in college), to guitar (acoustic and electric), to all acoustic. And mandolin sometimes. I still occasionally play bass when I get called into a studio gig or when I get the occasional bass student or at a jam. Twelve years of teaching, not one mandolin student.

I sold my last electric guitar last week. If one of my students wants to learn blues or something else in the electric school, there is an electric beater the studio lets me borrow.

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 02-15-2016, 10:34 AM

I give up on electric and go to acoustic every couple of months or so. Then I switch back. I have no idea of why I do this. Talk about divided loyalties!
Old 02-15-2016, 10:45 AM

I burned out on the distorted tone a few years ago and went all acoustic.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
…Am I just taking a break or am I converting to an acoustic player? I haven't touched my electrics since October of last year and I just find the sound of an acoustic beautiful lately.
Hi Shades-o-Blue…

It's your decision, not ours. Depends on if you sell the electrics & amps and refuse to buy more (which is a slippery slope). I've seen lots of friends swear off electric only to show up with another a few months/years later. Then repeat the cycle multiple times through the years.

I don't view electric and acoustic as enemies. Just cousins… For me they require different equipment and different technique. All the really share is a tuning system…sometimes.

I still play both and continue to get better in both arenas. There were times my electric sat idle for months, but then those skills were called back into action.

At age 67 having played guitar since age 15 I see playing like waves rolling in on a beach. Sometimes I'm on the peak, sometimes in a trough. Different seasons of life brought different interests, and activities.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-15-2016, 11:05 AM

After 20+ years of playing electrics, I bought a lovely Taylor GS Mini last summer, which led to the acquisition of a D28 and then a J45. I've barely touched an electric since, and I love my acoustic guitars dearly.

I agree that it's partly an age thing, but I would caution against offloading all your electric gear. The time will come when you want or need to play one.

I'm in the process of selling two electrics, but have bought a 335. It's going to be my sole electric instrument, and I've played it virtually non-stop all weekend through my Vox AC15 Custom, and it's a wonderful combination. Never say never again

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion