The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Mine does...and I don't even have a pick guard.
Thanks Phil. Been eyeing redwood lately, particularly a Taylor 12 - string.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Although I had to argue a bit with James to NOT put a pickguard on my Goodall, I finally did convince him... the guitar is 4 years old now and there isn't a mark on it as of yet...

Now it is true that I own another 6 string and use that for gigs, but I try to play each of them a fair amount... and, like I said, there isn't a mark on the face of that Goodall (or anywhere else)... and I play with a pick 100% of the time, probably strumming 40%(?)...

Redwood IS a very different wood, though; it has certain characteristics of it's own that are unlike either spruce or cedar. It tends to "soften" trebles and add a bit of bass, so be very sure that you choose the combination of woods that gives you what you want. For instance, it seems to me that a rosewood guitar with a redwood top would likely be fairly "murky" on the mid-low frequency range... just a thought.

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-13-2015, 08:36 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. I had the same thought as above. Rosewood pairing would likely be overtone overkill. Walnut seems to be a nice overtone middle ground.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 10-13-2015, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

My favorite guitar, other than my Stehr, was a Sinker Redwood over Macassar Ebony. I am still sorry I sold it, and I am still chasing that tone. If you can find sound sample of redwood and Ebony, I think you might find a "delicious" tone...crisp, yet lush.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-13-2015, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Rhetorical musing.

I've played for a good long time, and it wasn't until web forums widely disseminated such notions as runout being bad, Englemann being "tight" V. Adirondack being "loose" (or maybe it's sitka and Adirondack?), bridge pins making a "massive" difference in tone, redwood or cedar not being strumming guitars, and other such folklore, that the average player suddenly appeared to notice, or worse worry about, any of them.

I submit many players are seeing and hearing things that only exist in the collective internet imagination. If they do exist, they only do as trends over thousands of exemplars, and any particular guitar is as likely as not not to exhibit any of the alleged phenomena being "noticed" or worried about, or worse, asked

To OP: just play the thing and enjoy it. The odds you will "overdrive" the redwood top are close to nil; the odds you might notice it happening are about the same. Since those odds multiply, we're now in the world of homeopathic top overdriving.

Besides, why not try it and figure out for yourself if it's happening (and if it's bothering you), instead of asking a bunch of nerds to reinforce your confirmation bias before you even test the hypothesis?
Old 10-13-2015, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
As an add on, I would ask if Redwood can physically hold up to strumming? I know some who do not like to strum their cedar guitars for fear of wearing out the top too soon. I have yet to meet an aggressive or 100% strummer than even owns a cedar topped guitar. They consider it too soft.

Is redwood hard enough to stand up to aggressive strumming?
Yes, redwood can stand up to strumming, and if you're concerned, use a pickguards.

Last edited by justonwo; 10-13-2015 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 10-13-2015, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Rhetorical musing.

I've played for a good long time, and it wasn't until web forums widely disseminated such notions as runout being bad, Englemann being "tight" V. Adirondack being "loose" (or maybe it's sitka and Adirondack?), bridge pins making a "massive" difference in tone, redwood or cedar not being strumming guitars, and other such folklore, that the average player suddenly appeared to notice, or worse worry about, any of them.

I submit many players are seeing and hearing things that only exist in the collective internet imagination. If they do exist, they only do as trends over thousands of exemplars, and any particular guitar is as likely as not not to exhibit any of the alleged phenomena being "noticed" or worried about, or worse, asked

To OP: just play the thing and enjoy it. The odds you will "overdrive" the redwood top are close to nil; the odds you might notice it happening are about the same. Since those odds multiply, we're now in the world of homeopathic top overdriving.

Besides, why not try it and figure out for yourself if it's happening (and if it's bothering you), instead of asking a bunch of nerds to reinforce your confirmation bias before you even test the hypothesis?
The OP doesn't yet have a guitar with a redwood top, and he's asking if redwood is appropriate for what he's looking for. It sounds like he may be curious about purchasing or commissioning a guitar with a redwood top. Perhaps you misread before your rhetorical muse kicked in.

I have so much love for spruce in small guitars, and big guitars, and medium guitars, I've never really contemplated using redwood (other than for a baritone). What guitar are you contemplating?
Old 10-14-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Rhetorical musing.

Playing it would be the obvious solution, if I weren't having it built. The money put down is anything but theoretical/rhetorical. As such, opinions of the informed are what I have to go on.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion