The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2015, 08:44 AM

Default Musical Gear Case

I'm just wondering what those of you who perform use to store all of your capos, picks, harmonicas, etc. on stage. A cheap camera case with foam inside has served my needs for several years, but I saw Willie Watson (formerly of Old Crow) last week use a Barnett and Jaffe Baja case. It reminded me that Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings (Willie's pals) use the same. I've included a link below. They are cool looking and appear to offer decent storage, but I am wondering if the drawers are big enough to fit a harmonica holder. If anyone can enlighten me, I'd appreciate. I'm also curious to see pictures of what case you use and how you organize your stuff in said case. Thanks.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...ereo-517922214
Old 10-13-2015, 09:56 AM

It's all divided over several flightcases, trunks and a few smaller travel and beauty cases. The small ones usually hold the 'can't do without' stuff, strings, recording devices, microphones, extensionchords and cables, analogue and digital pedals.

The flightcases and trunks hold anything usefull for my home recordings, lot's of percussion thingies, patch wires, pedal boards and what have you.
I forgot most things I keep in there since it's note opened much anymore and there's other things on top of it too.
All I know is that it's not very organised other then cables neatly rolled up on top of the electronics at the bottom, and fragile items on top of everything else.

Spare plugs and other small thingies are kept in larger biscuit tins including soldering wire. S39 sits in the chemical department under the kitchen sink.
Lots of loose AC chords are kept in sturdy shopping bags and there are several cupboards full of miscelanuous.

All in all it's a total mess and there's even stuff lying around since my room doesn't have much space in terms of cupboards or other storage. So flightcases double as coffee tables.

Hhhhheeeeellllllpppp, where's the way out!

Ludwig
Old 10-13-2015, 10:02 AM

I have an old black suitcase made of patent leather that belonged to my wife's grandfather. He was a seed salesman and used it in the 1920s or 30s.

Inside I have a boxes, pciks and capoes, and etc. and it's big enough to carry a stack of songbooks and sheets of paper.

I bought some imitation old port of call and hotel stickers and have plastered it with them. People seem to like it. I set it up on an old fashioned folding table.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 10-13-2015, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

For me, each guitar case has a strap, a spare pack pof strings, and a pack of Vocalzones under or at the top of the headstock. In the accessory box ther are two tins. One is a Princess Mary Brass box from WW1 containing a shubb capo, an Intelli tuner, two Blue chip picks (TAD-40 and TAD50, and a Wegen TF140.

Underneath is a smaller tobacco tin containment a spare CR2032 battery, a string winder and cutter, a spare bridge pin, and "business" cards.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyhQusXqqws

I also travel with a Sainsburys canvas "bag for life", containing whichever A4 cheat sheet 4 ring portfolio binder, two folding guitar stands, and a folded music stand.

On the rare occasions when I need to take a p.a. I'll also take along an aluminium Stanley Toolbox containing my mics, leads, mic stand fittings etc.

I usually take two guitars out - a 6 & 12 string, or a six and dobro, and sometimes a mandolin too.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 10-13-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Backpack. Easy as that.

Steve
Old 10-13-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreDan View Post
I'm just wondering what those of you who perform use to store all of your capos, picks, harmonicas, etc. on stage. A cheap camera case with foam inside has served my needs for several years, but I saw Willie Watson (formerly of Old Crow) last week use a Barnett and Jaffe Baja case. It reminded me that Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings (Willie's pals) use the same. I've included a link below. They are cool looking and appear to offer decent storage, but I am wondering if the drawers are big enough to fit a harmonica holder. If anyone can enlighten me, I'd appreciate. I'm also curious to see pictures of what case you use and how you organize your stuff in said case. Thanks.
Small tupperware container with a white lid. The lid comes off and the container holds capos, tuner, picks, etc.

If the stage is particularly dark I dump everything into the white lid sand use it instead. The idea is to make these items easy to find and contain them within easy reach.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

s-Dan…

Taylor Gear bag, and Craftsman Toolbag. The toolbag holds about ˝ what the gearbag does.

When we do road trip gigs of some distance, the large gearbag goes…it has 3 levels (one with multiple layers) - front/top, back, bottom, plus large side zip pockets and 2 slide pockets. It carries spare parts, extra mics and cables, actual tools, Truss rod adjusters, and string changing, saddle adjusting stuff, preamps, tuners, capos. I carry spare straps and NeckUP, as well as duct tape etc.

Smaller and closer gigs, the toolbag.

The Craftsman actually has handy exterior and interior compartments which hold mics, tuners, adapters, batteries, guitar straps, NeckUP lifts etc quite well.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-13-2015, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys!
Old 10-13-2015, 12:54 PM

Tupperware, that's it, brilliant. I honoustly never thought about it but I have loads of those unused in the kitchen since I'm not much of a coock.
They'll provide a much better use of certain cases and trunks since I have em in all kinds of sizes.
Can't believe that the idea never crossed my mind, all I did was stack em incase I needed something for beans or sugar but I don't store beans (or sugar).

I did try them for the spunge jobby though but they were too big so back they went from where they came. Thx a lot, this may finally create a walkable path between the rubble to the outside world. Now why didn't I think of that myself, lol. Really I should thank you on my knees, so I humbly do that.

Ludwig
Old 10-13-2015, 12:57 PM

I've found that an old laptop carry bag (my place of business throws out the old ones because every new laptop issued comes with one) will carry a small but effective batch of gear - including a song book, pedal or two, and some cables.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-13-2015, 05:45 PM

I have a small duffle bag for my extra gear.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-13-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Beerhofen View Post
Tupperware, that's it, brilliant. I honoustly never thought about it but I have loads of those unused in the kitchen since I'm not much of a coock.
They'll provide a much better use of certain cases and trunks since I have em in all kinds of sizes.
Can't believe that the idea never crossed my mind, all I did was stack em incase I needed something for beans or sugar but I don't store beans (or sugar).

I did try them for the spunge jobby though but they were too big so back they went from where they came. Thx a lot, this may finally create a walkable path between the rubble to the outside world. Now why didn't I think of that myself, lol. Really I should thank you on my knees, so I humbly do that.

Ludwig
I must have 100s of these things in all shapes and sizes...

This one I actually cut the top rim shorter so it would slide into the top pocket of my soft case.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:34 PM

Default misc. storage

On stage, my shirt pockets or standing free. Everything arrives in a small backpack which contains a myriad of stuff, guitar stands, music stand, kazoos, jew's harps, winders, tuners, clothespins, cards and pens, a few CDs, several notebooks of songs, superglue, music stand light.... Capos and straps stay with the guitar in it's case unless I am using them.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion