The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2015, 08:12 PM

I am thrilled about this. I gave up all my acoustics except for my Ovation for so many reasons. Mostly, the playability, the tonal balance, the pickup (which I process to get it right), the access to the upper frets (for real, not cosmetic).

I really love my Ovation, I gig with it all the time and it never lets me down.

The only thing better than an Ovation is more Ovations! I love so many brands, but the playability, alone, makes this my go to.

As far as unplugged, it sounds just fine, I really like the tone. Every guitar has its charms, but Ovation is not without its own.

If you have any doubt about how good the Ovation is...and sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SHVmjFDkx0

Will blow you away!

D.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

I've really enjoyed every one that I played. Not sure why I never bought one. I like the idea of innovation, and hope they have serious staying power.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-11-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
Really don't know why they bother ..
To help you pump your post count?

Here's a clip I came across just a few hours ago. I was struck by the power and drive Bankie Banx's guitar gave the song, without stomping on either the harmonica or the vocal.

I realized I'd noticed this before, in this clip of Melissa Etheridge (with Bruce Springsteen)...

...and this clip of J J Cale with Christine Lakeland.

I think Drum Workshop perceives a market for such guitars among musicians seeking instruments that complement, rather than complicate, what they're striving to achieve.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:56 PM

To add a few tracks the the Ovation play list.

Sp, perhaps, there is a reason to revive the US production of the guitars, and keep the off shore production going.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 10-12-2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I don't know why you bother with this glorious nugget of wisdom every time an Ovation thread starts up. Do you copy and paste it?
I'll explain exactly to you why I make this statement as it has sense, beyond just my own personal opinion.

Firstly, EVERY Ovation I had tried over 20 years in the showroom sounded like a plastic cardboard box. They sounded really awful unplugged and very thin plugged in. Now, thats not a great starting point to try and convince a consumer that the all new and improved version is siginificantly better to the point of consideration. I know, opinions vary, but mine has been consistently reinforced by what Ive experienced.

Now, you might say that but thats because you haven't played the good stuff, the high end Ovations. Well, sorry boys, these are the Ovations that the company chooses to display and this is the product that I have had poor brand experience with, repeatedly. If the company chooses to display such subform products then thats how the brand will be received.

And if anyone has had some experience in marketing its ALL about the brand. The product might get better now but Ovation has a massive journey ahead of rebuilding the brand to change related brand perceptions, which arguably with the exception of a few fan boys on the AGF is largely negative.

This is a massive investment and I would argue from a marketing perspective (Im a Marketing Director by trade) whether its a journey worth investing in when these guitars are largely associated with the 80's. (take a look at the vids from the previous poster, most of them are from the 80's or near)

What relevance do they have in 2015, coupled with the massive competition and quality of acoustic guitars that are available now.

Hence, the reason for my initial response ... why even bother ?
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

Last edited by GibbyPrague; 10-12-2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:09 AM

Default Simply put, love them

I know Ovation guitars aren't for everybody, but if you haven't played one -- even a low-end Ovation -- please don't accept the tired line that they sound "plastic." Ovations (like all other models of guitar) vary in sound quality, but I've played the entire range and they can sound really quite impressive. I have an Ovation Legend, used, that I bought for about $600 and it sounds better -- unplugged -- than many other guitar brands costing more than twice that.

For the last several years, Ovation has been making a "countour" bowl that sits on one's lap quite easily (as easily as any standard dred). If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine -- but the misinformation campaign and the idea that Ovations are an idea whose time has passed is baffling to me, and unfair to potential future buyers. Great sound, great workmanship, innovative design, comfort, a super-smooth neck, and the usual variety of tonewoods makes Ovation a worthy candidate for most guitarists' collections.

Bashing them with snarky comments says more about the player than the guitar.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:06 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

a reminder that brand bashing is not allowed on AGF.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
a reminder that brand bashing is not allowed on AGF.
Yes, but there is a difference between bashing a brand and explaining why a brand may face significant challenges in gaining market share.
What we do on weekends:
Old 10-12-2015, 05:08 AM

Ovation is one of those guitars, I just never saw or understood the attraction to. A round composite for back and sides......
Don't even get me started on the recent trend on Carbon-fiber guitars. :P
Fingerboard: Ebony

Old 10-12-2015, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

For a guitar that some people seem to hate there sure are a lot of classic songs that were played on one.

Dust in the Wind comes to my mind right off the bat. Even my celebrity sounds as good as many wooden guitars I have played. And better than many I have played.

It's like the Seagull headstock, some people just refuse to accept what they see as different.

Now will they be successful? Who knows

I also don't know where some of this hate comes from. If you ever go back and look at performances from the seventies and eighties Ovations are everywhere being played by very successful musicians. I guess they were never told an Ovation was junk.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll explain exactly to you why I make this statement as it has sense, beyond just my own personal opinion.

Firstly, EVERY Ovation I had tried over 20 years in the showroom sounded like a plastic cardboard box. They sounded really awful unplugged and very thin plugged in. Now, thats not a great starting point to try and convince a consumer that the all new and improved version is siginificantly better to the point of consideration. I know, opinions vary, but mine has been consistently reinforced by what Ive experienced.

Now, you might say that but thats because you haven't played the good stuff, the high end Ovations. Well, sorry boys, these are the Ovations that the company chooses to display and this is the product that I have had poor brand experience with, repeatedly. If the company chooses to display such subform products then thats how the brand will be received.

Hence, the reason for my initial response ... why even bother ?
How would you describe the tone of carbon-guitar and/or composite brands such as RainSong, Composite Acoustics, Emerald, Ovation Adamas, and others?

Were the Ovation guitars you played American-made, high-end models with the deep bowl or were they the shallow-bowl designs purpose-made for high-decibel applications such as a guitar-playing lead singer or a lead guitarist in a rock band?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft85915 View Post
Ovation is one of those guitars, I just never saw or understood the attraction to. A round composite for back and sides......
Don't even get me started on the recent trend on Carbon-fiber guitars. :P
What don't you like about carbon-fiber guitars?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 10-12-2015, 08:07 AM

I had a Celebrity Ovation guitar for a while and though it sounded okay (a little bright) unplugged I could never get used to the round back. Even sitting it felt like it was going roll off of my leg, very unnerving. I sold it to a friend who liked it and had it for a couple of months before it got stolen.
1992 Paulino Bernabe M-50
2005 Breedlove C-25 Northwest Classic
1968 Taurus model 56
2005 Dan Lankford 8 Course Renaissance Lute
old German Lute Guitar
1982 Yamaha G231 II
Old 10-12-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
How would you describe the tone of carbon-guitar and/or composite brands such as RainSong, Composite Acoustics, Emerald, Ovation Adamas, and others?

Were the Ovation guitars you played American-made, high-end models with the deep bowl or were they the shallow-bowl designs purpose-made for high-decibel applications such as a guitar-playing lead singer or a lead guitarist in a rock band?
I have not had enough experience with the other composite or carbon guitar brands so don't want to comment.

But Ive picked up Ovations each year out of curiosity and they continue to disappoint every time. I have no idea if they were high end or not. They were the ones that were in my guitar shop (together with the American brands) and thats what i tested.

And this is my point (did you read my post at all) that as a consumer what is available and presented to you in the guitar shop is what you base your opinion on.

What Ive experienced has been very average, if it was low or high end is irrelevant as it was THE product that was in the showroom, and thats what drives my perception.

As I wrote, like them or not, Ovation overall arguably suffer from a poor brand perception and they can improve their product overnight but it will take them years, maybe decades before the brand perception improves.

I would never invest my own cash in them if i was looking for a growth opportunity. I see no relevance for them in 2015.
What we do on weekends:
Old 10-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have not had enough experience with the other composite or carbon guitar brands so don't want to comment.

But Ive picked up Ovations each year out of curiosity and they continue to disappoint every time. I have no idea if they were high end or not. They were the ones that were in my guitar shop (together with the American brands) and thats what i tested.

And this is my point (did you read my post at all) that as a consumer what is available and presented to you in the guitar shop is what you base your opinion on.

What Ive experienced has been very average, if it was low or high end is irrelevant as it was THE product that was in the showroom, and thats what drives my perception.

As I wrote, like them or not, Ovation overall arguably suffer from a poor brand perception and they can improve their product overnight but it will take them years, maybe decades before the brand perception improves.

I would never invest my own cash in them if i was looking for a growth opportunity. I see no relevance for them in 2015.
Yes, I read your post.

My situation is likely different than yours as I've had access to all price-levels, models, and styles of Ovations for over 40 years. The tone of the guitars varies greatly depending on the model being played as some are full-toned and some are thin-toned depending on the purpose they were designed to fill. In all cases, the American-made models sound much better to me than the foreign-built ones. Given the geographical locations in your header, I'd guess your experience with Ovations has included mostly the Asian-made model lines? At any rate, your opinion of Ovations is your opinion and thanks for sharing it.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion