The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2015, 01:24 PM

Default SamAsh.com business practices?

Short version: Sam Ash is running a 15% off sale on certain brands, but the checkout only deducts 10% when you use the code. Does this happen often with them (i.e., could this potentially be an "intentional" mistake?), or is this more likely to be an "honest" mistake?

Longer version: I've been thinking about trying out a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin. I would prefer to buy locally, but NOBODY within a 3-5 hour drive (one way) has one to try out, so I'm willing to take a risk on mail-ordering this one. (It doesn't hurt that more than one review of the 5th Avenue Kingpin has mentioned the consistency and high quality across different examples of the same model guitar.)

With the 15% off promotion that Sam Ash is running, I thought I'd give it a try. But the website only deducts 10% when you use the code. I'm willing to overlook an honest mistake, but I don't want to do business with a store that intentionally does things like this (hoping that at least some buyers won't notice). If this is a pattern with Sam Ash, I'll go elsewhere. If it's not a pattern, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt . . .
Old 10-11-2015, 01:28 PM

Hmmmm! What did they say when you asked them?
Old 10-11-2015, 01:28 PM

Why not email or call the store and get their side ?
Old 10-11-2015, 01:32 PM

Additionally, is it a pro-rated discount (spend X dollars, get 10% discount; spend Y and get 15%)?
Old 10-11-2015, 01:33 PM

I'm waiting for an email reply (I assume that they're closed today, but I could be wrong on that), but I'm not expecting them to tell me, "Yeah, sure, we do this all the time!" Their reply is pretty unlikely to tell me if this is a habit for them; only feedback from customers will do that. And if that feedback all says, "Nope, never happened before," great!

I'll certainly update here with their reply, though.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway_61 View Post
Additionally, is it a pro-rated discount (spend X dollars, get 10% discount; spend Y and get 15%)?
Nope--it just says "For a limtied time save 15% instantly when you use the promo code 15OFF4U at checkout to purchase items from the following brands:".

The thing that makes me suspicious (and again, I'm not jumping to conclusions, I'm just trying to reduce those suspicions) is the notice on that page that says "If the promo code does not work for you, please call one of our sales associates at...." It's like they expect the code to not work, but they'll "fix" it if you call. IF that's the case (and I don't know that it is, thus the bold/underline "if"), I'd rather do business somewhere else.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

I haven't had a lot of dealings with any of the Sam Ash stores, but I also haven't heard of any shady business practices. I would be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt and call to talk to a real live person, even before asking on an internet forum.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojosh View Post
Nope--it just says "For a limtied time save 15% instantly when you use the promo code 15OFF4U at checkout to purchase items from the following brands:".

The thing that makes me suspicious (and again, I'm not jumping to conclusions, I'm just trying to reduce those suspicions) is the notice on that page that says "If the promo code does not work for you, please call one of our sales associates at...." It's like they expect the code to not work, but they'll "fix" it if you call. IF that's the case (and I don't know that it is, thus the bold/underline "if"), I'd rather do business somewhere else.
That note may be like Musicians Friend, where they aren't allowed to let coupons work for some brands, but if you call in they'll apply it.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:43 PM

I've bought two guitars from them with no problems.

I think you are wrong to speculate here that there may be some shenanigans going on before they have had a fair chance to resolve your concerns .

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I would be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt and call to talk to a real live person, even before asking on an internet forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatini View Post
I think you are wrong to speculate here that there may be some shenanigans going on before they have had a fair chance to resolve your concerns .
Thank you both for the feedback. I (respectfully) disagree that it's wrong to ask questions here. If you want to learn about how a business views/treats its customers, you'll get better information from the customers than you will from the store. (And for what it's worth, I'm not ignoring the store's side. I simply haven't heard back from them yet.)

If this post violates any AGF rules/policies, I'll gladly take it down, though.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:55 PM

I went through all the steps so as to try to replicate the OP's problem, and, yes, the code, though it should deduct 15%, only deducts 10%.

I come down heavily on the side of it being an unintentional error, one that will be remedied as soon as they receive notice that the error exists. I do understand that the OP has emailed them, but I would suggest calling them.

I have never had difficulties with SamAsh. I have bought a couple of things that weren't what I was hoping for (nothing defective about the items, however), and the return process was extremely easy.

I have,however--and just as recently as the other evening--bemoaned the slowness of their web site--another thing that, to me, says "unintentional error," in this case by those maintaining the site.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:26 PM

Been dealing with Sam Ash since they were a mom-&-pop operation (literally - "Mom" Ash ran the cash register at the old Kings Highway, Brooklyn store), and never had any problems. Had some funny things happen on their website recently, though (slow loading, dropouts, white screens), so I'll come down on the side of unintentional error/give them a call...

BTW, you're going to love that Godin 5th Avenue. I own two - a cognac-burst acoustic and a blonde CW II - and the latter was the only guitar I've owned in 53 years that didn't need a single string-path adjustment, even with a change to flatwound 13's: perfect neck angle, perfect relief, perfect bridge height, no buzzing or fretting out, just tweaked the pickup poles a bit to compensate for the hotter signal - and this was a blind purchase from Amazon (not exactly known for babying their instruments); I've played guitars five times the price that didn't handle as well - and if that doesn't speak quality I don't know what does...
Old 10-11-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojosh View Post
I'm waiting for an email reply (I assume that they're closed today, but I could be wrong on that), but I'm not expecting them to tell me, "Yeah, sure, we do this all the time!" Their reply is pretty unlikely to tell me if this is a habit for them; only feedback from customers will do that. And if that feedback all says, "Nope, never happened before," great!

I'll certainly update here with their reply, though.
I'd call them and they answered the phone. Try calling them.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
I'd call them and they answered the phone. Try calling them.
Especially as the website suggests "If the promo code does not work for you, please call one of our sales associates at (800) 472-6274. They will be glad to assist."
Old 10-11-2015, 02:56 PM

Try 25OFF4U and see what happens.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion