The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-15-2015, 07:57 PM

Take a long hard look at a Yamaha LL16-12 ARE... I know online it's listed at $900 new with case. This is the updated model of mine below in my sig.

Which I seriously would put up against Martins and Taylors in the $1500-2000 range with no shame whatsoever. Full and rich sound either acoustic or plugged in, great play-ability, and the Zero Impact Pickup means no battery hassle ever. If you can find a Yamaha like mind used for sure take a look but I doubt you're going to find one loose.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 09-15-2015, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

That Gretsch is beautiful! Gotta find one of those.
I had a Taylor 150e and can't say anything bad about it really, but I returned it cuz it just didn't do a thing for me. YMMV...
Old 09-15-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebernstein View Post
I'm thinking about taking the plunge on a 12-string acoustic. Would probably gig with it on selected songs, definitely use it recording and just playing around the house. Ideally I'd like to spend no more than $800, which has me thinking used, but would consider new models as well. This would be for folk/country/rock music with a flat pick, so a dread, jumbo or OM body in all likelihood. Recommendations?
Just saw this on Let's Talk Guild, (don't know seller) it looks like it could be just what you're looking for, worth checking out
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sho...G-312-for-sale
Old 09-15-2015, 08:50 PM

I just cheated......

I do plan on picking up a real 12 string sometime in the future....

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th

Last edited by sled; 09-16-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGull View Post
Another + for the Seagull S12! In terms of "chunky" necks, I think that is a matter of opinion. I do not find the Seagull S12 neck "chunky" at all - it is a 1.9" nut, so it may be a tad wider than some, but, IMHO, it is not thicker.
Seagull may have altered the neck shape since I had mine. I recall it having a thicker and squared-off D shape, as opposed to the soft C of my Taylor. Between that and the wider nut I found it difficult to thumb-fret the low E course. It's the primary reason I replaced it.

It's still a great 12 for the price, especially without the pickup. The cedar top is unusual for a 12, but it worked on the S12.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Used, I'd look for a Taylor 35X or maybe a Guild if you can find used in your price range. New, I'd recommend a Taylor 150. Pretty impressed with the couple I tried.

12s are fun. Enjoy the hunt!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:08 PM

I second the idea that you should consider a 12 string Ovation, Ignore the shallow bowl ones, and get a deep bowl one. A balladeer or Legend or even one of the Elites would be a good choice. It worked for Brian May of Queen and Glen Campbell and a lot of others.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 09-16-2015, 03:07 AM

So how much harder is it to play a 12 string over a 6 string? I love the rich sound.

Another 12 string classic:
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 09-16-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-W View Post
...I have found the 12 string to be an absolutely great guitar. There is a lot of 12 string music out there - more than you think. You will be just strumming along and then : Hey what is that? Moody Blues - "Have You Heard" !

Final note: 12 strings take extra strength to play. Do not be like me and wait years to adjust your action down. That made huge difference in playability. Use light strings. Rest you hands. I pulled mine bad trying to learn "Still You Turn Me On" Had to rest it for weeks. I do not tune mine down.

Good Luck !
Yes, there is some more work involved, but it's worth it. As for light strings, it's much easier in the beginning till your hands get used to it - especially barring things like inversions up the neck.

May I also congratulate you sir on excellent taste: Moodies and ELP mentioned in one post!
Old 09-16-2015, 06:08 AM

I play a Larrivee L-05 12. It's an excellent instrument; balanced, nice volume, tone, no complaints here. A quick search on Reverb turns up a few used D-03 12 models within your budget. I think that may be a good candidate based on the criteria you've listed and what you plan to use it for.

https://reverb.com/marketplace/acous...query=larrivee
Old 09-16-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmaute View Post
Just saw this on Let's Talk Guild, (don't know seller) it looks like it could be just what you're looking for, worth checking out
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sho...G-312-for-sale
Now there's a 12 string. 3 pages of suggestions with lots of love for Taylor and Martin but almost no mention of Guild. I love my Taylor 6 string but nothing beats a Guild in the world of 12 string guitars. I really wanted to find a Taylor 12 string that held it's own with Guild but I never did. I'm partial to Guild jumbos but that G-312 looks sweet too. The OP might find an F-1512 in his price range. Typical street price is $999 but I bet musicstorelive.com would come down; they deal (no affiliation).
Old 09-16-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I play a Larrivee L-05 12. It's an excellent instrument; balanced, nice volume, tone, no complaints here. A quick search on Reverb turns up a few used D-03 12 models within your budget. I think that may be a good candidate based on the criteria you've listed and what you plan to use it for.

https://reverb.com/marketplace/acous...query=larrivee
Another vote for Larrivee. They make wonderful 12 strings.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 09-16-2015, 12:18 PM

Wow, thanks for all the great advice, folks. Based on what I'm reading here and a little bit of other research I'm starting to lean toward Guild. Accordingly, a couple more questions:

How big of a difference do you think there is between the new, Chinese made 12s and older/vintage US-made models? I read a review in Acoustic Guitar mag of the Chinese jumbo and it was pretty sterling. I get that they make their living selling ads to gear makers, but they really seemed to love this one. I like that it's solid woods vs. the HPLs in most of the other models available new/young in or around my price range.

How big of a deal is it to install a pickup on an older guitar that doesn't already have one? Of my three acoustics, two have electronics and both of those were factory installed. I know very little about what it takes/costs to install a pickup on a non-electro-acoustic. Not sure if there's anything about a 12-string that would make this job any different (more difficult/costly/risky?) from installing a pickup on a 6-string.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:30 PM

just paid 398 for a d125-12 from sweetwater. solid woods and sounds amazing like all guilds. best 12 strings out there. check sweetwater to see if they have any more. beats the seagull and taylor laminates. only gets better with age. this is a Chinese guild and is as good as any quality I have bought of taylors. build quality is amazing. same factory as blueridge I beleave and eastman
Old 09-16-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
One of the best lower price, but great sounding 12 strings is the Seagull. The Coastline 12 cedar topped dread, with factory electronics for your gigging, puts out a great unplugged sound unmatched by any sub $1000 12 strings I've tried.

$629 at Sweetwater.

Here is a recording of an old Hollies song that I did with a Seagull on the 12 string parts.

Bus Stop

Good luck & have fun in the search!

Dave

Dave;
Great job, love that song.
Dan

Clip of Alvarez 12 string 1972.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVyOPKeE0vk

Last edited by DanPanther; 09-16-2015 at 01:50 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion