The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-15-2015, 12:15 PM

Lots of very good suggestions here. I have to put in a plug for an Alvarez 12-string. I have one from their Masterworks Series that I love for its simple appointments, rich sound and perfect action.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 09-15-2015, 01:29 PM

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions!

One thing I should have specified is that because I anticipate gigging with this guitar I would like something with onboard electronics so I don't have to mic it. The new Taylor, Martin and Seagull models suggested all tick that box. But in looking very quickly at used options, a lot of what I'm seeing that otherwise seems like a great bargain relative to new guitars, doesn't. Any specific suggestions as to particular models w/electronics I should be searching for on the used market?

And to those of you who posted sound clips, they sound great!
Old 09-15-2015, 01:57 PM

The thing with a used 12 string is how well they have been looked after and taken care of, which you will have to judge for yourself in correspondence with a seller. I think the potential for neck problems or bridge problems is higher in general on a 12er. With a new Martin, Seagull, Taylor or whatever you'll get a lifetime warranty in case anything happens to go wrong. On a used one you're on your own.

That being said, you can probably find used Taylor 3 series 12 strings (GA3-12, GS3-12, 354 or 356, maybe a 4 or 400 series if you get lucky) in your price range, or something in the Guild line like a f-1512e.
2014 Taylor 150e
Old 09-15-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebernstein View Post
Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions!

One thing I should have specified is that because I anticipate gigging with this guitar I would like something with onboard electronics so I don't have to mic it. The new Taylor, Martin and Seagull models suggested all tick that box. But in looking very quickly at used options, a lot of what I'm seeing that otherwise seems like a great bargain relative to new guitars, doesn't. Any specific suggestions as to particular models w/electronics I should be searching for on the used market?

And to those of you who posted sound clips, they sound great!
Unless you just love the factory electronics offered with a particular model (e.g., Taylor with ES2, etc.), I would recommend a used acoustic purchase and then installing a pickup of your choice. You can EQ the signal external to the guitar for a sound that suits you.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12

Last edited by Fire&Rain; 09-15-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:32 PM

My first thought was of the Taylor 150e or the Martin D12X1AE. Between these two, it would depend almost entirely on what kind of tone you're looking for. The Seagull S12 is also a good choice, but its neck is rather chunky compared to the Taylor and Martin models.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmusic View Post
My first thought was of the Taylor 150e or the Martin D12X1AE. Between these two, it would depend almost entirely on what kind of tone you're looking for. The Seagull S12 is also a good choice, but its neck is rather chunky compared to the Taylor and Martin models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
One of the best lower price, but great sounding 12 strings is the Seagull. The Coastline 12 cedar topped dread, with factory electronics for your gigging, puts out a great unplugged sound unmatched by any sub $1000 12 strings I've tried.

$629 at Sweetwater.

Here is a recording of an old Hollies song that I did with a Seagull on the 12 string parts.

Bus Stop

Good luck & have fun in the search!

Dave

Another + for the Seagull S12! In terms of "chunky" necks, I think that is a matter of opinion. I do not find the Seagull S12 neck "chunky" at all - it is a 1.9" nut, so it may be a tad wider than some, but, IMHO, it is not thicker.

You also need to decide if you like a gloss or satin finished neck - the Seagull is satin. I own a 2011 Guild GAD F212 (the older GAD series with all of the "good stuff" - it is a Grand Orchestra size) with a gloss neck - a beautiful guitar, but I am thinking of selling it as it has a gloss neck, and I have enough guitars now that I can afford to get a bit "picky" with my instruments...

If you have any interest in the Guild, PM me...
Old 09-15-2015, 03:17 PM

Default 12-string shopping

I bought a new Martin D12X1AE and couldn't be happier. It has built in electronics and sounds great through our church PA. Just be aware it has a laminate back that some folks do not like. I love the tone and with the laminates I would not hesitate to take to an outside gig, campfire or leave in the car. I love the satin finish too...very easy to play with no stickiness. I got mine on sale for 15% off during a MF sale. Nice figured top too. Hard to beat...look for videos on youtube for sound samples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2015, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Many people fel that the old Guilds are the best 12saround. Forme - it is the late '60s and '70s Martin D12-20 or D12-35.
Of course for these 12 fret short scale dreads,you have to kinow what you are loking at and a guitar having a neck reset and poccibly a replacement bridge ad bridgeplate are well worth considering.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docliv View Post
If you like the Martin tone, go for the D12X1AE. I've had mine for a few months and the sound is wonderful and only gets better. Nothing better for $649 new. Try it with EXP38 strings! You'll be astonished at the factory set action. It plays nearly as easy as an electric!

The below was recorded live with a cheap Nessie mike at the 12th fret:

http://soundcloud.com/docliv-1/ditty1

http://soundcloud.com/docliv-1/vincentecreeksuite
I've played the D12X1AE a few times and each time I was impressed. I found it less jangly than a lot of other 12 strings.

I'm still waiting to see a Taylor 150e in the stores around here.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:37 PM

I played both a d121xae and a 150e in the store recently. Both are laminate back and sides guitars with electronics. Both are really easy to play. Taylor was more chimey in the highs with reasonable bass ... the martin was more balanced. Both are fantastic IMHO especially at their price points. I could enjoy either. I'd probably take the Martin for a solo act and the taylor for a full band.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:14 PM

A great value and sounding and playing 12 string......Taylor 150e.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 09-15-2015, 06:44 PM

My first post.

I would buy either the Taylor 150e or the Martin x1d12e
Having just tried them both out I thought the Martin sounded
Nicer but it was neck heavy. The Taylor had a nicer balance of weight, it has a arch back and no back braces.
I didn't buy one...I also tried the Martin d12-28 that's the one I liked best. $2500 though.

Last edited by Nomad Sivad; 09-15-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

The Taylor 150e is a nice 12-string guitar BUT it is currently installed with the magnetic-based Expression System 1.3 that will have a noticeable electric-guitar
component to its amplified tone, especially when strumming or hitting the strings moderately to aggressively. You may like this tone, as do many, but it's best to try the Taylor 150e amplified first.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-15-2015, 07:27 PM

I have a Taylor 355 and I love it. It is Freaking awesome.
I would not trade it for the 150e in the video. It sounded a little mushy in the Supertramp song Give a Little Bit that he played a small portion of.

I think one key difference is that the 150e is a dread with laminated Sapele and my 355 is Jumbo solid wood Sapele. I suppose the equivalent today is a 356. My wife bought the 355 for me for our 25th anniversary and she paid around $900. So prices have moved up a bit over the years. Just a thought - you might consider a used 355 or even a 555(Mahogany) if you can find one. I think Neil Young played an 855(rosewood).

Anyway I would really try to push into a solid wood guitar over a Laminate. It is a little more of a stretch but worth it.

Also my preference is the Jumbo style. I don't really care for the Dread bass that much, but then there is the Neil Young stuff and his D45 so - not all bad.

I have found the 12 string to be an absolutely great guitar. There is a lot of 12 string music out there - more than you think. You will be just strumming along and then : Hey what is that? Moody Blues - "Have You Heard" !

Final note: 12 strings take extra strength to play. Do not be like me and wait years to adjust your action down. That made huge difference in playability. Use light strings. Rest you hands. I pulled mine bad trying to learn "Still You Turn Me On" Had to rest it for weeks. I do not tune mine down.

Good Luck !
Old 09-15-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
New it would be hard to beat the Taylor 150e or even the Martin D12X1AE, but there is no doubt you will get a lot more guitar on the used market.
Breedlove's Korean imports are within $100 of the Taylor, sound lightyears better IMHO, and come with a very nice hard case.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion