The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2015, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the reply Outhouse (funny to address you as that). I agree BD wont do much by itself. The part I missed was bridge PLATE, that makes more sense, thanks again.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade63 View Post
Thanks for the reply Outhouse (funny to address you as that). I agree BD wont do much by itself. The part I missed was bridge PLATE, that makes more sense, thanks again.
No problem bud.

My name is not a problem , its just been my online name for 20 years, and if friends frequent here or are already here, I don't want to miss them lol
Old 08-16-2015, 04:38 PM

Wink

The title of this thread caught my attention as I just purchased a D-18 new from a dealer. Had it a week and no it doesn't need a neck reset yet.

If it ever needs work it will be covered by Martin and there are two authorized service centers in the city where I live.

All this talk has me a bit concerned but I'll just take reasonable precautions with humidity and play it...alot...it's great BTW. Whatever happens in the future I can't control so I'll just enjoy it and won't worry about may or may not happen.

Last edited by GTRGUY005; 08-16-2015 at 04:39 PM. Reason: edit
Old 08-18-2015, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Neck Rests on Martins have always been an issue, although a two year old is obviously too soon.
...snip...
I find this and recent similar threads quite interesting. I own a 2009 000-15 that I purchased new, and I have also owned an HD-28 and a D-28 (both purchased used), and the necks on all three were/are perfect.

Something dawned on me today about this...I wonder if the "average string gauge" of a Martin guitar is higher than the average string gauge on a non-Martin? It has been my experience that if someone is using medium (13s) or higher gauge strings on an acoustic guitar they are almost always playing a Martin.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a correlation between these two things (Martins tending to need early neck resets and Martin players tending to use heavier than average strings).

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 08-18-2015, 05:13 PM

Exactly why I don't buy used unless it's a beater.
I don't know anything about Martin, but I recently mentioned how I bought a used Fender dreadnaught from Music Go Round and about a month later the neck was separating at the joint.
Now I know this is no where even close to the situation you're in.. And I wish you luck in getting it repaired or whatever you decide to do with it. But this is honestly why I avoid buying used at all costs. Sure its cheaper, but you make up for it in repairs.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASmusic View Post
Exactly why I don't buy used unless it's a beater.
I don't know anything about Martin, but I recently mentioned how I bought a used Fender dreadnaught from Music Go Round and about a month later the neck was separating at the joint.
Now I know this is no where even close to the situation you're in.. And I wish you luck in getting it repaired or whatever you decide to do with it. But this is honestly why I avoid buying used at all costs. Sure its cheaper, but you make up for it in repairs.
I actually kind of disagree with you to a point. It depends a lot on the age of the guitar. If its five years old and is in good condition, it likely will be fine. The problems arising with neck resets being needed soon after purchase could be because the wood never cured properly before being crafted. My 2010 00-15 has a neck that is as straight as a Taylor. I purchased it used.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 08-18-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazine View Post
I actually kind of disagree with you to a point. It depends a lot on the age of the guitar. If its five years old and is in good condition, it likely will be fine. The problems arising with neck resets being needed soon after purchase could be because the wood never cured properly before being crafted. My 2010 00-15 has a neck that is as straight as a Taylor. I purchased it used.
The only Martins I will buy are used. If a few year old guitar plays great and has is stable, chances are it will stay that way for a long time.

With buying used, what you see is what you get.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 08-18-2015, 07:31 PM

A luthier doesn't charge for advice. Call another one and contact Martin Guitar Co. They will give you the Phone number of a Certified Martin Luthier.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:57 PM

Default My 2013 D-18 needs a neck reset

Update on my D-18. I took it to another luthier today. He said the neck angle is not great, but the action is good. The saddle is filed down fairly low so there is not much more room for change. This guy said if it were his guitar he would not rest the neck until the action got too bad to play and he said that could take 10 years. Part of me wants to just have him reset the neck so it is "right", then again if the action is good, why bother. What would you recommend? It would cost $200 to reset the neck. Appreciate any insight. Thanks, Don
2002 Martin HD-28
2000 Larrivee Parlor P-01
1976 Guild D35 SB
Blueridge BR-43

"I just want one more guitar..."
Old 08-24-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db25364 View Post
Update on my D-18. I took it to another luthier today. He said the neck angle is not great, but the action is good. The saddle is filed down fairly low so there is not much more room for change. This guy said if it were his guitar he would not rest the neck until the action got too bad to play and he said that could take 10 years. Part of me wants to just have him reset the neck so it is "right", then again if the action is good, why bother. What would you recommend? It would cost $200 to reset the neck. Appreciate any insight. Thanks, Don
$200 is a good price. I would get it fixed for that. It might as well be right.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 08-24-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
A very reputable luthier used a straight edge to show me it needed a reset. He charges $450. There is another luthier in town that seems to do good work and he charges $200.

The guitar was 4 months old when I bought and I have taken very good care of it since. I do wonder if I missed it when I bought it because the saddle was filed down quite a bit. I contacted the original owner and he didn't seem interested in getting involved.

I am thinking about taking it to a local authorized Martin repair guy and see if he can help me plead the case with Martin to cover it. Any chance that will work?

Otherwise I think I will take it to the guy who charges $200 and be done with it.

Thanks for all the wisdom and insight.
words of wisdom -you get what you pay for ( most of the time )
check out his work very carefully before you leap. Ive meet quite a few so called repair people i wouldn't let change my strings -training and experience speak for themselves -be careful !
Old 08-24-2015, 06:47 PM

Default My 2013 D-18 needs a neck reset

Thank you. I agree. I have seen this guys work and he is excellent in my opinion
2002 Martin HD-28
2000 Larrivee Parlor P-01
1976 Guild D35 SB
Blueridge BR-43

"I just want one more guitar..."
Old 08-24-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I would wait on it unless it effects the playability of the guitar.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:26 PM

Please delete

Last edited by wrobert955; 12-30-2015 at 11:48 AM. Reason: deleted
Old 10-14-2015, 10:24 AM

I have a 2013 hd28 that needs a reset and the action is high. Bad thing about it is that I bought it used. (wasn't that bad when I first got it).

If I found someone to do it for $200 , I'd jump on it. Cheapest quote I got was a " maybe $500", all the way to $800.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion