The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
No they aren't. Just had to do a re-set on an SWOM16GT. It's a question of how well it was put together and what history the guitar had before one gets it.
If you read post #5 from Todd Yates, you will understand why your statement is not true. There is always so much mis-information when the topic of neck resets comes up and why they are needed. .....Mike
Old 08-15-2015, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by db25364 View Post
This is making me rethink the "buy used and save" strategy. Has this been a problem with the lighter built guitars coming from Martin these days?
I haven't seen many posts like this about the "new" D-18, if that's any indication that the problem isn't widespread...

And if a reset costs you $300, remember that you likely saved a lot more than that buying your guitar used. You also don't have to wait 6 months for the Martin factory to return your guitar to you...
Old 08-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

No disrespect intended. I am strongly reminded of my experience (several year ago) with the 12 string Guild F512... which appeared, to several highly respected shops in my area, to need a neck reset (which cost much more than what your Martin was estimated at). After having one last evaluation from another repair man, he disagreed with them and just put the neck under a heat press for a few days... and guaranteed his work. The guitar plays great to this day. I know that your Martin doesn't suffer from the same thing, but I have to wonder about these neck reset recommendations some times.

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 08-15-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
If you read post #5 from Todd Yates, you will understand why your statement is not true. There is always so much mis-information when the topic of neck resets comes up and why they are needed. .....Mike
In the case of mine, the glue didn't hold. I'm assuming due to the previous owner letting the guitar get too dried out. I further assumed that the bolt on joint was m/t rather than dovetail. I stand by my statement that the guitar's history will influence what repairs may be needed.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
In the case of mine, the glue didn't hold. I'm assuming due to the previous owner letting the guitar get too dried out. I further assumed that the bolt on joint was m/t rather than dovetail. I stand by my statement that the guitar's history will influence what repairs may be needed.
Martin doesn't use a bolt on neck and a Dovetail is a type of mortise and tennon joint. The bolt in Martin's M&T neck attachment is only needed during manufacture until the glue dries. The glue could be compromised with overheating, but generally not from drying out. In you case, the neck had to be re-glued because of a gluing issue, a neck reset is needed when the body distorts causing the geometry of the neck to body to be out of alignment. Same repair, different cause. .....Mike
Old 08-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemartin View Post
No disrespect intended. I am strongly reminded of my experience (several year ago) with the 12 string Guild F512... which appeared, to several highly respected shops in my area, to need a neck reset (which cost much more than what your Martin was estimated at). After having one last evaluation from another repair man, he disagreed with them and just put the neck under a heat press for a few days... and guaranteed his work. The guitar plays great to this day. I know that your Martin doesn't suffer from the same thing, but I have to wonder about these neck reset recommendations some times.
I realize you're happy with the results, but the scenario you've described makes no sense. Normally what's referred to as "heat pressing" a neck is used to straighten a neck with no adjustable truss rod. Your Guild has a truss rod, but more importantly to the point here, relief is curvature of the neck and has nothing at all to do with the neck angle. If the guitar needed a neck reset, no amount of neck straightening would help. If several repairmen missed the fact that the only issue was relief, they're really weren't competent in the first place.

Rick, your loose neck problem with the M/T joint is not unheard of with those guitars. The new Simple Dovetail ought to eliminate that. Mike is correct that Martin's stance was that the bolt was only there for production purposes, but I was never convinced. I think the bolt is an integral part of the integrity of that system.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:20 PM

Man I hate to hear that OP. I too own a 2013 D18 Custom by Music Villa. I ended up needing a neck reset about 8 months into mine. When the seasons changed, the neck "popped" for lack of a better word. I could see daylight between the heel and the sides. I am super anal about humidity control, too. I called my dealer and they took care of it. Kinda sucked to have that happen on a brand new guitar.

The good news is I got her back and she's as sweet as ever. But I had warranty, so that helped ease the pain.

I really hate it for you man...I hope it all works out.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:39 PM

I had to have a neck reset on my Larrivee OM-05MT as the heel pulled loose at the backside of the body...it was less than 1 year old, but was covered via warranty. They actually put a new neck on it as apparently the male part of the dovetail was not properly carved at the back. My 78 D-18 had a reset 5 years ago by Martin...somehow it never sounded the same as it did before the reset. :-(
Old 08-15-2015, 04:17 PM

My 2012 D-18 needed a neck reset at about a year ... it was done under warranty at no cost to me (except for the 9 weeks I was without it) ...

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 08-15-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db25364 View Post
I found out my 2013 Martin D-18 needs a neck reset. Ouch. I bought it used so there is no warranty.
I bought a 2011 Martin DSR in 2013 sight unseen. The action was marginal and there was barely any saddle left. It will probably be a candidate for a neck reset within a year or two. I sold it with full disclosure to a buyer who agreed. Took quite a bath on that one. I will never buy a used Martin again without seeing it.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:41 PM

It's disappointing to see Martin's workmanship and quality has gone down significantly.. I haven't heard of any 2-4 year Gibson's needing any neck resets.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I realize you're happy with the results, but the scenario you've described makes no sense. Normally what's referred to as "heat pressing" a neck is used to straighten a neck with no adjustable truss rod. Your Guild has a truss rod, but more importantly to the point here, relief is curvature of the neck and has nothing at all to do with the neck angle. If the guitar needed a neck reset, no amount of neck straightening would help. If several repairmen missed the fact that the only issue was relief, they're really weren't competent in the first place.
Sorry if I wasn't able to describe it in such a way as a luthier might expect. I assume that you are. I know that it was pretty much an unplayable guitar for me (1979 Guild). The truss rod had been adjusted, and saddle shaved, to compensate for the high action... caused by belly bulge and neck angle, after 35 years of age. I only know that the heat press on it worked. I hope that makes sense.

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 08-15-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemartin View Post
Sorry if I wasn't able to describe it in such a way as a luthier might expect. I assume that you are. I know that it was pretty much an unplayable guitar for me (1979 Guild). The truss rod had been adjusted, and saddle shaved, to compensate for the high action... caused by belly bulge and neck angle, after 35 years of age. I only know that the heat press on it worked. I hope that makes sense.
So I'm guessing the heat press adressed the belly bulge issue. Glad it worked. As a side question, do you have his number so I can ask if there is a way to adapt the heat press thing on my belly bulge. ......Mike
Old 08-15-2015, 10:53 PM

Hmm, I recently bought a 2013 d-18. Not a lot of saddle and noticed the action a bit high. The straight edge hits almost an 1/8 below top of saddle, not too bad. The relief was horrible though so I was able to tighten the truss rod, leave just a hair of relief and reigned in the action acceptable. The original owner said he had it set up when he bought it new, wonder why it bowed or loosened? Hope I don't have any future issues because I love this thing and even though I keep humidity at 40-60 I'll feel better to case it more.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post
It's disappointing to see Martin's workmanship and quality has gone down significantly.. I haven't heard of any 2-4 year Gibson's needing any neck resets.
That doesn't prove that Martin's quality has "gone down significantly," or that Gibson guitars are immune to the problem, either one.

Something that does seem eternal, however, is that whenever there's even the faintest whiff of a problem with a Martin guitar it brings people out to tell us how much Martin guitars have gone downhill.

By cracky, they just don't make 'em like they used to, I reckon....

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion