The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2015, 09:06 AM

Default My 2013 D-18 needs a neck reset

I found out my 2013 Martin D-18 needs a neck reset. Ouch. I bought it used so there is no warranty. I never thought it would need a neck reset so soon. This is making me rethink the "buy used and save" strategy. Has this been a problem with the lighter built guitars coming from Martin these days?
2002 Martin HD-28
2000 Larrivee Parlor P-01
1976 Guild D35 SB
Blueridge BR-43

"I just want one more guitar..."
Old 08-15-2015, 09:19 AM

I think so... I think their models with m&t joints may be better in that respect.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 08-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Neck Rests on Martins have always been an issue, although a two year old is obviously too soon.

Elsewhere we had a thread about what to look for (avoid when buying a guitar, and until I learnt the hard way I bought dodgy Martins.

It is my understanding that some Martins can survive for, say, 50 years without a neck reset, and some only about seven, and I have been told by luthiers, that most seem to have a cycle, i.e. if it needs a reset after ten years - it will need one every ten years etc.

Unless you bought your Martin from a reputable dealer with a guarantee, I'm afraid it is a matter of Caveat Emptor.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by db25364 View Post
I found out my 2013 Martin D-18 needs a neck reset. Ouch. I bought it used so there is no warranty. I never thought it would need a neck reset so soon. This is making me rethink the "buy used and save" strategy. Has this been a problem with the lighter built guitars coming from Martin these days?
How did you find this out? Did a luthier or guitar technician show you with a demonstration using a straight-edge?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
It is my understanding that some Martins can survive for, say, 50 years without a neck reset, and some only about seven, and I have been told by luthiers, that most seem to have a cycle, i.e. if it needs a reset after ten years - it will need one every ten years etc.
Find another "luthier". That is utter nonsense. Neck resets are required (normally) due to body deformation. After that reaches equilibrium and future neck resets are not required. A guitar might need one, maybe two, neck resets in it's lifetime. If it continued as proposed, the guitar would fold in half and you'd run out of heel to trim. It simply doesn't work that way.

A reset can be required due to a loose neck joint, but that is more rare, especially with dovetails.

Since body deformation is the cause, the type of neck joint has nothing to do with the need for a neck reset. That assumes it's a joint not prone to failure. Not that it matters too much, but Martin hasn't used an M/T joint on a Nazareth-built guitar since 2012.

An early neck reset can happen with any maker, either due to a marginally underset neck to begin with or because the wood moved more than expected. We don't know enough about the OP's guitar to say what the issue is in that case.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db25364 View Post
Not that I've heard. But I agree with the 'ouch' factor. Hope it gets better soon and fairly economically!
Old 08-15-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazine View Post
I think so... I think their models with m&t joints may be better in that respect.
The Dovetail joint is a mortise and tennon joint. The need for a neck reset has nothing to do with the type of neck joint, but from body distortion ( as Todd mentions above) caused by the tension of the strings. The neck joints normally don't budge.

........Mike
Old 08-15-2015, 09:57 AM

As a recent purchaser of a used Martin, I wonder what's a ballpark on the cost of a reset. I'm sure it varies quite a bit from luthier to luthier.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 08-15-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Find another "luthier". That is utter nonsense. Neck resets are required (normally) due to body deformation. After that reaches equilibrium and future neck resets are not required. A guitar might need one, maybe two, neck resets in it's lifetime. If it continued as proposed, the guitar would fold in half and you'd run out of heel to trim. It simply doesn't work that way.

A reset can be required due to a loose neck joint, but that is more rare, especially with dovetails.

Since body deformation is the cause, the type of neck joint has nothing to do with the need for a neck reset. That assumes it's a joint not prone to failure. Not that it matters too much, but Martin hasn't used an M/T joint on a Nazareth-built guitar since 2012.
I had an issue with far from perfect neck angle on a brand new 000-42 in 2009. That one clearly came out of the factory with less than pristine QC. But aside from that, it does not seem uncommon for Elderly Instruments to advertise reasonably new used Martins that need resets - enough of them that I noticed it and wondered why that should be.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Guest 1928

Most neck resets cost $350-450, plus a new saddle or nut if required. On a guitar like this, I'd expect a new saddle only. Some repairmen won't do a neck reset without a complete refret. I wouldn't use that shop for a guitar like this that probably has minimal fret wear.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:36 AM

I'd ask the original owner you bought it from if they'd be willing to handle the warranty for you through Martin (assuming you pay any shipping costs). Some might see this as dishonest but what I think is far worse is a manufacturer selling a guitar that needs a neck reset in two years or less. Unless there are obvious signs of mistreatment there's no reason any guitar should require a neck reset that soon, especially in that price range. If the original owner is unwilling or it changed hands multiple times and poor care isn't to blame, I'd at least contact Martin and get as high up the ladder as possible giving multiple people hell for it if each one refuses to help. Original owner or not that's ridiculous (again all of this is assuming you or a previous owner is not at fault).
Old 08-15-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Find another "luthier". That is utter nonsense. Neck resets are required (normally) due to body deformation.
What he said...
Old 08-15-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
That's the first I've ever heard that, and it definitely does not match my own experience. While it's true that many guitars (from most manufacturers) will eventually need to have neck resets, I've never had a guitar require one once every ten years.

I've only ever had one guitar need to have its neck reset, and that was twenty five years ago. There haven't been any problems with it since.

whm
Old 08-15-2015, 11:17 AM

A very reputable luthier used a straight edge to show me it needed a reset. He charges $450. There is another luthier in town that seems to do good work and he charges $200.

The guitar was 4 months old when I bought and I have taken very good care of it since. I do wonder if I missed it when I bought it because the saddle was filed down quite a bit. I contacted the original owner and he didn't seem interested in getting involved.

I am thinking about taking it to a local authorized Martin repair guy and see if he can help me plead the case with Martin to cover it. Any chance that will work?

Otherwise I think I will take it to the guy who charges $200 and be done with it.

Thanks for all the wisdom and insight.
2002 Martin HD-28
2000 Larrivee Parlor P-01
1976 Guild D35 SB
Blueridge BR-43

"I just want one more guitar..."
Old 08-15-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazine View Post
No they aren't. Just had to do a re-set on an SWOM16GT. It's a question of how well it was put together and what history the guitar had before one gets it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion