The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2015, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up D'Addario Strings NY Steel Core

A couple years back Guitar Center (through a survey I did) sent me a sample set of D'Addarios new EXP acoustic strings with the NY Steel Core. If you notice all the new D'Addario EXP strings have this NY Steel stamp meaning that they have a new improved metallurgy for the core steel on their strings. Here's a link to their web site with an explanation about this new improved core steel http://www.nyxlstory.com/ The steel is supposed to be strong more resistant to breaking and hold tune better. I've tried a few sets now over the last few months and I've been very impressed. I remember using the sample ones for several months on my Rainsong Jumbo which has kind of become my beater guitar. I've never broke a string and I'm quite hard on my strings when I play live. I've broke a lot of Elixir strings and I really don't use them much any more because of this fact.

I chatted with D'Addario today and they are releasing for Winter NAMM the NY Steel core version of their standard non coated acoustic guitar strings. I'm not a big fan of coated strings so I'm excited about this new product.

When I play live I tend to sing quite powerful and passionate songs and I struggle to separate my vocal passion from my left hand chording. Sometimes if I'm not careful I even will dent the strings by fretting to hard. Its a bad habit that I've struggled with for years now. Because of this fact I can wear out a set of coated strings in one 4 hour period. For me I prefer the less expensive non coated strings.

I've used Martin SPs, D'Addario, and John Pearse strings pretty consistenly over the years. I love the peace of mind of having this better metallurgy core on my strings that don't break as easy and hold tune better while still sounding great.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:52 PM

I did not like the EXP NY steel strings. It felt like a strange texture under my finger tips on both hands. I did fill out a survey recently and know that a new set of strings showed up at my house today, I will try them out tonight for my guitar ensemble class since I need to change strings but really hadn't planned on doing it till the week or two before the recital.

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:59 AM

I also received a set of "confidential beta" strings from D'Addario yesterday. The info card that was enclosed didn't indicated much about them , but they look a lot like Monel strings to me. Strung my Taylor 214 with them and my initial reaction was mostly good. The "feel" was a bit different but I'm used to coated strings. The tone is good on this guitar so I'll keep them on a while and see how they last.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:28 AM

I too did the survey. I liked the NY steel coated strings. I thought much better tone than Elixers but had the same flaking of the coating after a while. I am interested in hearing about how everyone likes the new uncoated ones. I strung my Martin up yesterday with them I will reserve my opinion until I play them for another week or so.
PRS Studio
PRS Semi Hollow Custom SE
G&L Telecaster
60th aniv Fender Stratocaster
PRS Hollowbody
Gibson Firebird
Taylor Koa 12 Fret Ltd
Various Epiphone Guitars
Old 10-14-2015, 09:30 AM

Being that Strings and Beyond just posted a sale on their regular EJ strings (from $2.99 per pack) I think we can expect NY Steel to make it's debut in the regular un-coated EJ line (which I am excited about). My bet is the beta test strings we are receiving now are for a forthcoming product. I could be wrong. It has happened a time or two.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion