The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2015, 11:21 AM

Default Guitar Cleaner?

I have noticed a couple of smudges on my Martin where my forearm rests on the body caused probably by sweat. Its not very noticeable but it bothers me. So what would you use to get that out. Ive tried a polish but that doesn't do the job. Any help is appreciated.Thanx.
PRS Studio
PRS Semi Hollow Custom SE
G&L Telecaster
60th aniv Fender Stratocaster
PRS Hollowbody
Gibson Firebird
Taylor Koa 12 Fret Ltd
Various Epiphone Guitars
Old 10-13-2015, 11:25 AM

Virtuoso cleaner and polish works well for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Virtuoso-Premi...irtuoso+polish
Old 10-13-2015, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-10Ken View Post
I have noticed a couple of smudges on my Martin where my forearm rests on the body caused probably by sweat. Its not very noticeable but it bothers me. So what would you use to get that out. Ive tried a polish but that doesn't do the job. Any help is appreciated.Thanx.
Hi S-10Ken…

For smudges I start with a cotton shop rag or microfiber rag, and if that doesn't do it, a drop or two of Ronsonol Lighter Fluid (Naphtha) does the trick.

It's safe for finishes unless you have a varnished or French Polished guitar (and if you do, you paid extra for it and know it).

I find if I wipe the guitar down with my rag every time I play (and the strings as well) the smudges don't accumulate so quickly and strings last longer.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-13-2015, 01:17 PM

long sleeve shirt or guitar sleeve will eliminate that problem, but, wipe it and the strings down after every use.

as others have indicated, try a soft cloth and breath first. if that doesn't work, try a small bit of water with a tiny drop of dish soap. if that doesn't work, try lj's naptha method as it won't hurt it.

last method is to forget it and play it.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

First off, try cleaning with a slightly damp, soft cloth, then dry/polish after...

Naptha works well to remove that haze, but it may not get rid of all of it... very difficult to play a guitar for years without having some sort of haze at that spot... and it is aggravated by players who "hug' their guitars tight to their bodies...

I always attempt to wear long sleeves when I play my guitars, for that very reason; even a long sleeve sport shirt with the sleeves rolled up to 3/4 will protect "that spot".

You can use a light rubbing compound, but not frequently; when you use that, you are actually "rubbing" away some of the lacquer finish... a tiny bit, certainly, but if you use it a bunch, you will wear away the lacquer at that point. If you choose to use something like that (I have Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover 2.0), go easy on the pressure of rubbing it on your guitar.

NEVER USE ANY PRODUCT that has silicone in it on your guitar... once it's on, it's very difficult to get off, and will wreak havoc with any finish repairs down the road, as well as any more major repair issue...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-13-2015, 02:21 PM

Try water and cloth first. I cut an old sock and wear it on my arm to prevent smudges from sweat.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
…Naptha works well to remove that haze, but it may not get rid of all of it... very difficult to play a guitar for years without having some sort of haze at that spot...
Hi all…
Let us not confuse the smudge from skin with the buffing the finish of your guitar with one's forearm.

If you are moving your forearm and it is moving/sliding across the top of your instrument, then you will eventually buff it some whether or not you have a sleeve on it. This is separate from what the original poster asked.

If your skin is leaving smudges from skin oils, those will clean off.

I have a guitar which after 23 years of near daily play with my forearm contacting it while I play, my arm doesn't slide on the top, and there is no permanent hazing after all these years. I opt to play with a bare arm because of a particular arm tremolo technique I use which will not work with my arm covered, or sleeved.

Two separate conditions…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-13-2015, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

I used to use Virtuoso but now I buy Preservation Polish from Stew Mac. Cheaper, better.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and...on_Polish.html
Old 10-14-2015, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Hey Ken,

I had a serious, cloudy haze in a couple of spots on a guitar after a few years of playing. It was pretty severe and kind of looked like is was below or in the finish. This haze would not come off with naptha. A luthier friend of mine tried a little Preservation on it and that had an effect but it took A LOT of elbow grease to make any progress. But that experience did encourage me that it could be removed.

Hearing so much about Virtuoso, I orderded a bottle each of cleaner and polish. The cleaner took the haze off right away. I could "feel" the haze when using the cleaner which I think means there is some sort of abrasive in the cleaner (I think it was the cleaner and not the polish, I could be mixing them up). Anyway, the haze came off quickly with whichever bottle you're supposed to use first.

I was really impressed with how well it worked but agree with the poster who wrote that you don't want to over use a cleaner that has an abrasive quality. Hope I'm not speaking out of school in regard to the abrasive quality of the product...

Tim
Old 10-14-2015, 08:31 AM

This does the job for me.

http://www.musicnomadcare.com/guitarone.html

Old 10-14-2015, 09:27 AM

Depending on the actual finish in question and the relative altitude of one's nose (price of guitar).

Spit
loosen substance with finger
remove with a clean soft cloth

I know it's rude and crude but it works.

It's worked where "cleaners" have not.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion