The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2015, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
I am of course thrilled that Ovation production is coming back to CT, and spent an afternoon there recently being shown around the new digs. Yep, I'm very excited even if they will likely be priced out of my range now thanks to the recession.

For a very short span of time I was lucky enough to horse-trade my way into a nice collection of unique Ovations. I love them all.

If any of you want to see what those people in New Hartford can really do when you cut them loose, stop by the mid-Hudson Valley. I'll be happy to let you work your way through some of the best guitars built in the northeast.
Wonderful selection of Ovations in your signature!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-13-2015, 03:52 PM

I am happy to hear they are coming back. Their uniqueness isn't for everyone. I have one last acoustic on the way (last? yeah right!) but I could see owning an Ovation someday just for it's unique sound.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 10-13-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post
Why do most folks talk about a laminated in terms of them being less than, or cheap and crappy... but the Ovation isn't even wood?
Ovations are interesting guitars. In many ways ahead of their time.

They do indeed use solid wood tops on their USA made models. I watched a video of Paul Reed Smith and how they came up with the design for his acoustic guitars. Basically he decided that he could make a better guitar that projected extremely well by making the back and sides not vibrate. He wanted all the sound to come from the top and the back and sides to reflect the sound. Exactly what Ovation started doing nearly 50 years ago. In the case of Ovation, they use a synthetic material and shaped it parabolicly to focus the sound straight out.

Most Ovations use a neck that’s a laminate of 5 pieces of wood. This makes for a neck that’s stronger than an solid piece of wood for the same size. Ovation 12 strings have incredibly sturdy necks.

The Adamas uses carbon composite but not as a solid piece. Ovation decided that the sound of a sandwiched top (soft wood between two carbon fiber pieces) was preferable to a solid carbon fiber top. I have a CA Cargo and a couple of Ovation Adamas and the Ovations have a richer tone to my ears yet still have that excellent sustain of carbon.

I have a Martin and a Taylor both of which I love. The Ovations sound different but also quite nice. To me the Ovations are more versatile and can play many different types of music. They play extremely well up the neck. In fact, their overall playability is excellent and as good or better than my Taylor 714ce.

I will say that after many years it’s worth sending them in for service. I’ve brought in 4 different guitars of mine and friends and family in the past several years for general “tune-up” and other minor service. They all have come back sounding and playing much better. I wonder how many people have played on a new high end Ovation or one that was brought back to specs.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
I'll explain exactly to you why I make this statement as it has sense, beyond just my own personal opinion.

Firstly, EVERY Ovation I had tried over 20 years in the showroom sounded like a plastic cardboard box. They sounded really awful unplugged and very thin plugged in. Now, thats not a great starting point to try and convince a consumer that the all new and improved version is siginificantly better to the point of consideration. I know, opinions vary, but mine has been consistently reinforced by what Ive experienced.

Now, you might say that but thats because you haven't played the good stuff, the high end Ovations. Well, sorry boys, these are the Ovations that the company chooses to display and this is the product that I have had poor brand experience with, repeatedly. If the company chooses to display such subform products then thats how the brand will be received.

And if anyone has had some experience in marketing its ALL about the brand. The product might get better now but Ovation has a massive journey ahead of rebuilding the brand to change related brand perceptions, which arguably with the exception of a few fan boys on the AGF is largely negative.

This is a massive investment and I would argue from a marketing perspective (Im a Marketing Director by trade) whether its a journey worth investing in when these guitars are largely associated with the 80's. (take a look at the vids from the previous poster, most of them are from the 80's or near)

What relevance do they have in 2015, coupled with the massive competition and quality of acoustic guitars that are available now.

Hence, the reason for my initial response ... why even bother ?

Just for fun, substitute the word "Gibson" for every "Ovation" in this post.....
Old 10-13-2015, 04:06 PM

Count me in as one who is happy to see the return of Ovation. I'm glad to see that Drum Workshop not only saw value in them, but saw fit to have them made in CT. Regardless of your opinion of Ovation, there is no doubt that they have, over the decades earned a place in the a/e guitar world. They are prolific in many great rock recordings for good reason.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
I am of course thrilled that Ovation production is coming back to CT, and spent an afternoon there recently being shown around the new digs. Yep, I'm very excited even if they will likely be priced out of my range now thanks to the recession.

For a very short span of time I was lucky enough to horse-trade my way into a nice collection of unique Ovations. I love them all.

If any of you want to see what those people in New Hartford can really do when you cut them loose, stop by the mid-Hudson Valley. I'll be happy to let you work your way through some of the best guitars built in the northeast.
I live 10 minutes away from the Ovation factory. Any AGF members who visit are also welcome to come over to my place and jam!!!

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 10-13-2015, 06:52 PM

I would love to take Patch and BluesyRob up on their offers, but, I live almost 3000 miles away.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 10-14-2015, 06:00 AM

In 98' when I was searching for an acoustic with electronics there was only a hand full of guitars for me to choose from locally. After visiting four or five shops I decided on my American Ovation Elite Standard. Super shallow body with a neck that plays like an electric guitar neck. There were some other shallow body guitars that I had considered, but the Ovation was the one that I purchased. It still plays as well as it did back then and I've had no trouble with it. Does it sound like my Taylor 214ce? No, but I don't expect it to it. It has its own sound and it works for me which is a big point with any guitar brand. There are people that are devoted to specific brands and models cause they work for them. I'm glad the company/factory is back. Hopefully it will help the local economy/community in the long run and will bring more competition and choices to the marketplace.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:28 AM

Although I've never personally been a fan, my perception of what an Ovation can sound like was forever changed after I learned a lot of my favorite music in the world was recorded using one.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-14-2015, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfiddler View Post
Although I've never personally been a fan, my perception of what an Ovation can sound like was forever changed after I learned a lot of my favorite music in the world was recorded using one.

[IMG][/IMG]
Back in 1978, I had that same Ovation Legend sunburst model in acoustic-electric, along with an Ovation Custom Legend Acoustic-Electric, acquired the year before which was my first Ovation.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion