The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-28-2005, 07:59 AM

Default Whats up with religous gigs?

I admit, my exposure to religous music is limited to that South Park episode and light night cable access. Forgive me for being ignorant, but it seems like theres an awful lot of you guys playing in church. As normal gigs are drying up due to sports bars, smoking bans and Kareoke, Im always looking for new gigs, so I figure what the hell? Some questions:
Do you get paid and if so how much? Are gigs easy to get? Do you have to be a beleiver to get gigs? Just how early do you have to wake up? Are they fun? It seems like you would go in, hang out, play a couple of tunes and be home in time for the first pitch.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groupw
Im always looking for new gigs, so I figure what the hell?
Uh oh. Not a good start, my friend.

Quote:
Do you get paid and if so how much? Are gigs easy to get? Do you have to be a beleiver to get gigs?
I don't play in church . . . but I can venture a reasonable guess.

These are not "gigs" in the conventional sense.

I'm willing to bet they're all volunteer performers, and they do it because they believe.

I don't think a "hired gun" mentality would go over too well in this particular setting.

Keep looking . . .

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 06-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

I've seen unbelievers hired in larger church bands, and yes, they were paid. They were hired for their playing ability not for their affiliation or beliefs. I can only answer based on what I've seen and I will tell you that I think as a rule most church musicians are a hard-working lot of volunteer musicians. I played in various capacities for 8 years in church and I was never compensated financially for my services. I think that is the rule unless the church is very large and has a budget for such.

Many, many churches are also opposed to the idea of hiring someone to participate in what they see as a "heart activity" ie, leading people to worship God, as something that can be accomplished by someone who is doing it as a job or a gig. I don't say that to offend, but most churches do not see their musicians as people who gig, they see them as worshipers who happen to play music. Maybe that answers your question.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Guitar Gourmet

First off, I'm assuming you are talking about playing in church during the worship service.
I'll take a crack at your questions and try to answer them straight-forwardly while keeping religious content at a minimum because it is restricted from the general forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groupw
Do you get paid and if so how much?
I'd say probably around 95% of praise and worship players don't get paid.
Quote:
Are gigs easy to get?
Probably not. Churches want to feel comfortable with their players' beliefs as well as their playing.
Quote:
Do you have to be a beleiver to get gigs?
Because you are there to worship God and play, most churches only use players from their own congregations. Large churches with large budgets may bring in supply players, but typically would prefer to have their own members play. Most churches want know quantities at the front.
Quote:
Just how early do you have to wake up?
When I was playing for a two-service church, I was up at 5 am, soundcheck and rehearsal at at 7:30 am, first service at 9 am.
Quote:
Are they fun?
They have most of the stresses of playing in a band, so it isn't a cakewalk. However, when things are going well and you enjoy the music, there are few things more rewarding than playing good, challenging worship music for God.
Quote:
It seems like you would go in, hang out, play a couple of tunes and be home in time for the first pitch.
By the time I finished the load out, I usually missed the kickoff. I did, however, live 30 minutes from my church.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-28-2005, 08:17 AM

I've played in church for the last 12 years or so. Every church is different - no formulas regarding pay. In our church its a volunteer thing - you don't get paid directly, the the indirect benefits are incredible.

Worshipping in our church is extremely fun for the serious musician. We are a Spirit filled church and the music is high energy, there's lots of dancing, screaming guitar solos, etc. At other times the music is incredibly beautiful with cellos, violins, etc. at which times I usually play a classical guitar or mandolin.

I gigged in bar bands for years and our church is much more fun. When the Holy Spirit gets moving, the music that comes out of your hands exceeds your natural ability. I'm continually amazed at what I play during worship, because I know how good I'm not. But when God's Spirit is moving on me, I exceed the limitations of my own ability, both in technique and taste.

And yes, you have to get up early.

Last edited by 815C; 06-28-2005 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Eric Skye

I’ve played at a number of churches in the past few years. I’m not a religious person, and they were not evangelical churches, etc, they were just having, say, a Summer or Winter concert series. The gigs were pretty profitable for me. They were typically a modest fee, with the reception afterward selling a lot of CDs. They’ve actually been some of the best gigs for me, because the sound is incredible in a church, audiences were 100% silent and attentive, the people were just wonderful to talk with after...
Old 06-28-2005, 08:24 AM

The pay may not be great, but the retirement benifits are "out of this world".

I think you should go to a couple of local Church's and ask the Pastor what it would take for you to be a part of the Worship Team.

You may find a whole new meaning to the term "gig".

But to answer your question, yes you would need to be a "believer" to take part in a Worship Service.
Yamaha 365S (1980 ish)
Taylor 110, 2004
Martin DC-160GTE
Old 06-28-2005, 08:32 AM

Absolutely no disrespect for anyone, and no undercurrent or 'holier-than-thou' attitude happening here... but...

This truly is one of the funniest threads (short as it is) that I've read in quite a while.

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele
Old 06-28-2005, 08:39 AM

I think you guys answered this question perfectly.
And it was a great and honest question.

It made me think of a quote I'd heard, after digging on the internet I found it.

Someone once told me that not even for a million dollars would they touch a leper. ... On the other hand, I do it gladly for love of God."
~ Mother Teresa ...

But this isn't saying playing at church is not enjoyable. It's some of the greatist and most enjoyable moments of my life. But it takes dedication too, in Church and out.

Taylor 314CE
Plus a bunch of cheapo and mod's.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:48 AM

I've seen larger churches use hired guns based solely on their playing ability and not their beliefs. These have been large churches with big budgets and the players were extremely good, skilled at the pro or session musician level such that it was worth it to the church to pay them rather than depend on any amateur level volunteers from a congregation of several hundred to a couple of thousand people.

For the most part however, they look within for member/believers who are simply willing to serve. They are seen as "Worship Leaders" not musicians and as such are expected to have and hold to the same doctrine and beliefs that the church adheres to. In my church, before we had a building, I pulled the trailer every Sunday morning to get all of the sound equipment to the school, loaded it in, set it up, played in the band, broke it down, loaded the trailer back up and towed it back to where we stored it. Not only did I not get paid any money for this, I tithed to the church every week from my own income from my day job. It was an act of service to Him, which most of us don't expect to be paid by check for. I take so much fufillment and joy from the whole experience that I would actually pay to play.

If you are extremely good, you may find a church more focused on presentation willing to pay you for your skills even if you are an atheist, but they won't be standing in line at your door. Best of luck!
Old 06-28-2005, 08:54 AM

yea, when you hear people on this board including myself talk about our "gigs" we're refering to our worship service. Leading worship is really different than performing I can tell you that much. And no it's not all that easy to just land a gig at a church and play. Bands at most churches have been playing for years and commit to play every week (give or take) It's not a one time, here and there type thing. Although I did hear of a church in chicago put up a listing for a worship pastor that paid 80g's a year!!!

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 06-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I currently play in two churches. I'm paid at one, and not at the other. They're both unique experiences, but no more than they are when attending any two churches.

Since you're interested in an "easy money" gig, I'll talk about where I'm paid. In that church, not everyone is paid, and how pay is determined is based on level of involvement, commitment to contributing to worship, overall attendance and reliability, musical experience and training ("global") and musical experience in places of worship, and finally, financial need (yes, for some people, it is an important part of their whole financial picture). For those who wish to be paid, there is also the option of using the pay as a charitable donation. It sounds convoluted, but really isn't. I know that while my wife was unemployed and seeking work, I saw it very differently than I do now that she's working again.

In both churches (paid and unpaid), playing is seen as ministry and support of the worship, and the musicians are participants in worship. As in life, there are varying levels of personal commitment, but this seems to be true regardless of payment. I expect that by the end of the year, I will be fully on volunteer status, and grateful for what I was paid - I see that as a ministry to my needs - something that a church can also do. As I'm sure would happen anywhere, there are varying views on the topic among the paid and unpaid musicians and other ministers, and there are those who feel that it would taint their participation, and those who feel it doesn't. I feel that what it does depends on the person and the situation.

No one is rejected outright from playing... however, if they make it clear that they are there for the money only, which isn't very much anyway, they might be privately asked to examine their motives, given the mission of music ministry. It can get pretty gray - after all, if spreading the Gospel is the mission, musicians are participants and worthy of being ministered to, just like anyone in the congregation.

That's how it is where I play. Most church organists in traditional churches are paid - in a church where there is other music used on a regular basis, I see no difference, but I can tell you that playing in church ensembles can be both wonderful and incredibly frustrating, because the level of musicians is across the board... so if you're not there because of your faith and desire to contribute to worship ministry, paid or not, you would likely find a "church gig" to be not to your liking, any more than you would want to be in a band that is inconsistent, with constantly shifting members.

Playing in church is different. Although everyone is human, making ego a factor, it isn't the reason most people play, and neither is making money. When those are the reasons, eventually that person loses interest simply because they don't get what they've come for. There isn't a lot of money, and the main gratification comes from assisting people in their worship, or being assisted themselves.

This is probably too religious a post, but I'm not espousing anything one way or the other, simply stating my experience in pragmatic terms as I find possible.

All the best,

Wade

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 06-28-2005, 09:19 AM

I think Mr. Tozier struck the nail smack on the head..."keep looking"
Old 06-28-2005, 09:51 AM

Location: Plattsburgh,NY (one hour south of Montreal Canada )

My boyfriend is a professional player who made $75 / night as a teen 6days/week and traveled for 25 years making great money on the road. He tried to settle down in his early 40's by returning to his hometown to play dinner gigs ( instead of the late-night bar scene). His timing seemed right as he was hired four nights/week at one establishment and found other work as well. Then that club owner got divorced and sold the club while simultaniously the air base was closed and population/economy plumeted.........Down and out, a local church offered him a "gig" for $30 once weekly. He also swept floors and set up chairs and ate at the church suppers. Now , back on his feet again and getting paid $125( no less) per 3hr dinner gigs and $250 for weddings, locally. He still plays once a week for the $30 and the chance to give back to the fellowship.......he still goes in early to set up chairs and partakes of dinner to add his humor and aceptance to the down-trodden. He won't play a bar for $50 EVER again (to survive), but he continues to make this time available to his church. I'm proud of him ! I'm a nurse and make a good salary, and his salary is almost comparable to mine in the summer. He doesn't continue this service to the church out of need but because of the fellowship. He has only "canceled " on them once for a vacation, but never for another gig.

Last edited by Straycat; 06-28-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 AM

I play for pay in churches, not on guitar but on saxophone. We never rehearse, everything is professionally arranged and we just read it. Some are for special musical events or musical plays; some are for special evangelical events; some are for TV broadcast. I enjoy them because the quality of music and production is VERY high and the music at the several churches is of several different idioms. They're all southern churches and somewhat evangelical (at least) on that account.

Some people get all bent out of shape at me for only playing in church when I'm paid to do so. I figure I'm there to add to the atmosphere that the congregation enjoys, helping them feel whatever it is they go to church for -- different things for different people, I'm sure. If anything, I figure it's a 'Gig from God'. Knowing musical directors and musical ministers (also paid positions) in the churches is how I wind up being there. Do I like it because it's in church and I feel like I'm sort of playing for God, yes. Would I do it if I wasn't paid, probably not. If the musicians were unpaid, I figure the quality of the music would plummet due to not having professionals playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell