The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-14-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Looking at buying a pickup for my Martin DX1...help needed!

Hi all. I've been playing the guitar for 9 months now for at least 3-4 hours a day and I love it to death. I play a Martin DX1 Dreadnaught and I love the sound I'm getting from it. I would like to amplify it because I would like to perform. I have no idea what kind of pickup I should look into. Money is not an option as I would pay anything to produce a beautiful sound.
Anyways, I love to fingerpick and fingerstyle, although I do like to strum and I'm not sure whether I should get a piezo style pickup or a magnetic soundhole type. My style is somewhat comparable to Elliot Smith or Iron and Wine although I do like the sound of Jack Johnson's amplified acoustics (hopefully this helps narrow it down). What brands (and specific model if possible) should I consider? Remember, my guitar is a plain jane acoustic and I really do not want to do anything permanent just in case I am not satisfied with the sound. Would I have to look into anything else other than a decent acoustic amp with a built in EQ system?
Sorry for all the questions, but any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:57 AM

Default Fishman pick-up

I debated , like you, on a whole pile of different ones available. Finally took the advise of the Martin guitar companies recommended luthier and installed a Fishman, under the saddle thin line 094 Series. AG-094
Have that on all three Martins now. He said that's what most of the pros use that he does work on and it works wonders for me. I play through a Yamaha AG Stomp effects box into a CTV 80 Valve Yorkville tube amp with 2x12 extension box

Last edited by Gitpik; 12-15-2004 at 12:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-15-2004, 02:04 AM

Thanks for the response. How's feedback? And is the signal strong enough that you don't need to use a preamp?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification