The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-24-2004, 08:37 PM

Exclamation Cannot decide between 2 acoustic amplifiers

Does anyone can help me with this.

I have a Taylor 420-R acoustic guitar with a LR Baggs Element Active Acoustic Pickup installed. I'm looking at getting a acoustic amplifier, the 2 amplifiers I'm looking at are the Fender Acoustasonic Junior DSP and the Marshall AS50R. I read a lot of good things about the Marshall but couldn't find anything about the Fender.

Does anybody can help with this.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:39 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I, for one, prefer the sound of the Marshall, and its features. The Fender is a little thin sounding for my tastes.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-24-2004, 08:47 PM

I just purchased a Marshall AS50R. It is a great amp! My ES equipped Taylor sounds wonderful through it.

I don't gig with it - just using it at home (which is what I bought it for).

I used to have a Crate acoustic amp. I like the Marshall much better.

BTW - welcome to the AGF!
Old 11-24-2004, 10:41 PM

I agree with Bob - the AS50R.

cotten
Old 11-25-2004, 12:19 AM

I have both and I also favor AS50R.
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 11-25-2004, 01:05 AM
In The Pocket

My church has the Fender and I own the Marshall. I use them both. I much perfer the Marshall with my ES. It just sounds better...

- Devin
Isaiah 38:20
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars
Old 11-25-2004, 01:17 AM

I A/B'ed the Acoustasonic Jr. and Marshall AS 50R--no contest. Went with the Marshall and I don't regret it in the least. Use the XLR for vox and an A/B box into the 1/4" jack for my ES 414rce and my dulcimer (the latter first into a Baggs PADI).Question: the PADI has both an XLR and a 1/4" out. If I've reserved the amp's XLR channel for my mic and have to use the instrument channel for my ES, can I reverse the TRS-XLR cable that came with the guitar and use it to run from the PADI's XLR out to the amp's 1/4" in--or should I just use regular (not TRS) 14" cable (as I am for my guitar)?

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy
Question: the PADI has both an XLR and a 1/4" out. If I've reserved the amp's XLR channel for my mic and have to use the instrument channel for my ES, can I reverse the TRS-XLR cable that came with the guitar and use it to run from the PADI's XLR out to the amp's 1/4" in--or should I just use regular (not TRS) 14" cable (as I am for my guitar)?
The three connectors of the XLR are pin 1 (ground shield) = sleeve on TRS, pins 2 & 3 (signal wires). The signals running through 2 & 3 operate in harmony (ok, maybe that's a bad choice of words). The signal in one wire becomes +, the signal in the other conductor becomes -. The instrument channel on the amp uses a tip-sleeve unbalanced jack, and the "ring" connector on the TRS cable doesn't make contact, so I believe the amp will only receive 1/2 the signal. The signal in the unbalanced tip-sleeve cable goes both + and - . Sorry, I'm probably not explaining this very well. Maybe someone like Doc who fusses with this on a daily basis could explain it better...
Old 11-25-2004, 04:34 AM
guitar curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gtrs
The three connectors of the XLR are pin 1 (ground shield) = sleeve on TRS, pins 2 & 3 (signal wires). The signals running through 2 & 3 operate in harmony (ok, maybe that's a bad choice of words). The signal in one wire becomes +, the signal in the other conductor becomes -. The instrument channel on the amp uses a tip-sleeve unbalanced jack, and the "ring" connector on the TRS cable doesn't make contact, so I believe the amp will only receive 1/2 the signal. The signal in the unbalanced tip-sleeve cable goes both + and - . Sorry, I'm probably not explaining this very well. Maybe someone like Doc who fusses with this on a daily basis could explain it better...
You're correct.
It makes no difference whether you use the balanced cable or an unbalnced (standard) from a balanced output to an unbalanced input. Either way you're ignoring half the signal from the balanced output. If you're going into an unbalanced input, always use an unbalanced output, if you have the option, so you don't lose any of the signal.

Hope this helps.

Happy Thanksgiving,

They say that life is strange, .... but compared to what? - S.F.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:06 AM

Location: the Netherlands or Holland, whichever you prefer ;-)

I have an ES equipped guitar and wasn't really impressed with the sound (not bad but what is the hype about), until I plugged it into the Marshall amp. I was sold! Incredible! The most natural sound from an acoustic amp. Go for the Marshall and don't look back.

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter
Old 11-25-2004, 09:40 AM

Default DSP

I'm playing a Takamine Acoustic-Electric and recently purchased the Fender Acoustisonic 30 DSP. In 30 years it is the best acoustic guitar amp I've ever purchased. You can spend more and there are better acoustic amps out there, but for my money this is tops!
Old 11-28-2004, 10:02 AM

I played dozens of amps for about a year and finally found the SWR California and Strawberry Blonde amps were to my liking, bought one then traded in an old amp on the other. To my ears they sound the way I want my Taylors to sound. The close second was the Ultrasound line-up. Give them an audition before you make your final decision.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification