The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-14-2004, 06:07 PM

Default es and recording

how yens all doin? well i have a question about the es and recording simple tracks. i have a four track tape recorder and whenever i record now i get a lot of static(y) type sounds. a lot of background noise. can i plug my es right into it and have this solved? at least help? thanks a lot.-pc
fender 72 ri thinline tele (lost soul)
Old 04-14-2004, 09:58 PM

please let there be someone who knows this.
fender 72 ri thinline tele (lost soul)
Old 04-14-2004, 10:59 PM

You're not going to like this answer: what you're getting is "analog tape hiss." It's the nature of the beast. In the pre-digital days, engineers used to painstakingly EQ it out, and then Dolby invented a special bias curve that reduced it significantly. But when I play CDs recorded from my MiniDisc or from studio roughs, and then CDs recorded from 4-track cassettes made on my Portastudio....ouch! Like it or not, like most folks today you have become accustomed to digital--we've all become spoiled. The ES will not help that.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:28 AM

Give it a try. The preamps on consumer-level portastudios can be kinda noisy too, and jacking up the preamp gain to get a usable signal out of some mics can also introduce hiss. My experience with the analog portastudios is that the tape hiss is detectable, but not necessarily distracting. It could be something else.

There are a number of people out there who record direct with their ES systems. It will probably work out just fine for what you are doing. If your recorder has an XLR input, use the special cable that came with your guitar into the XLR connector for the best signal.

Hope this helps,

Kent
Old 04-15-2004, 10:43 AM

Can you give a little more info? Does the ES sound ok when plugged into an amp? You should check the input gain on the recorder as well as the ES output. You don't have the ES volume turned too high do you?
The ES seems a little sensitive to stray electromagnetic emissions...especially faulty dimmer switches and other bad wiring that might be in the room. Do you live near a radio transmitter?
Make sure your cabling is well connected. There are a lot of possible culprits causing your problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification