The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-04-2022, 01:27 PM

I've never had the moment when I said "too many". I have had the moment when I've said "I have enough" but that doesn't preclude me from buying another one.
Old 04-04-2022, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Ever had the moment you finally said... Too many?

...that is about the time that you are asked to leave the forum. As long as there is room in my condo and local guitar stores have instruments in stock, "too many" is simply not even whispered in our household.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-04-2022, 02:47 PM

Just happened to me few months ago.
I just want to concentrate on playing.

Sold:

Tele 1954
Gibson ES 125 1949
OM Custom Dana Bourgeois 2017

Still on sale:

Daniel Friederich 1961 spruce-Brazilian (Cites)
Daniel Friederich 1970 spruce-Indian

I am keeping:

00 SCGC 2022- 24,75 scale spruce-Indian(my day after day addictive guitar!!)
Francisco Simplicio 1929 spruce-brazilian

One on balance:
Martin 000 Ziricote Custom Shop Adi VTS 2021

One on order:

00 Pierrick Brua (french extremely talented guitar maker ) spruce-rosewood hide glue)-24,75 scale
Fishman AURA Spectrum DI
Strings:11-52 Elixir Nanoweb

Severely addicted for the last 50 years to John Renbourn's and Bert Jansch music.
Follower of Clive Caroll and Eric Skye's music
Old 04-04-2022, 04:20 PM

Yeah, but I'm not the only player. I don't think it would go over too well if I sold off the ones I don't play.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:02 PM

Not exactly. Occasionally I get to "Is this too many?" So far, the answer that slowly comes is "No, not really."

I'm there again now with "Is this too many?" Waiting for an answer . . . . . . .
Old 04-04-2022, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

I don't even count certain ones towards my total. Stuff I've had longer than two decades that was cheap doesn't count. Travel guitars don't count. Guitars just for gigging don't count. Electric guitars don't count. At least I tell myself that
Old 04-04-2022, 05:28 PM

I had that epiphany this last year. Between a few acoustics(4), electrics(7), mandolins(2), pedals and pedalboards, hand percussion stuff, mic’s(6), stands(4), booms(4), mixers, DI boxes, and 8 Tupperware containers full of strings, batteries, tools, rags, picks, plus enough assorted guitar, XLR, speaker and patch cables to reach the moon. and let’s not forget three combo amps, one head&cab and an acoustic amp and a pair of Bose S1’s with bags and stands.

I did manage to sell a 4x12 cab, a 4x10 bass cab, and a 1x10 bass combo last year, and you already know what I did…I took the money and bought a new guitar. Shoot me now.

It’s time for 90% of this stuff to go.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
Well maybe just for a moment..... but I got over it.

1973 Guild D44M
1987 Guild JF65-12
2000 Martin D40
2011 Breedlove OM-SReH
2018 Taylor 324e
2019 Eastman E2OM-CD
2019 Eastman AC108ce-LTD-CLA
2019 Larrivee 000-40
2021 Edney Custom SS 12 Fret D
1982 Madeira M10 Two Point Mandolin
201x Eastman MD305 Mandolin
2021 Eastman MD314 Mandolin
1995 Trinity College Octave Mandolin
2020 Yamaha FS800T Mandocello Conversion
19xx Greek Bouzouki
2008 American Standard Telecaster
201x GFS Thinline P90 Tele
2021 Guild Starfire II Dynasonic
Soooooo..... I added a used (near mint) Eastman E2D today....

"Yeah, the devil made me do it the first time. The second time I done it on my own." - Billy Joe Shaver

Last edited by FingahPickah; 04-04-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:45 PM

A little surprised since I didn't expect this many responses. But one thing is sure, it seems. Some do come to a point when we realize it's really just a collector mindset or a hoarding mindset even if we don't admit or see it. What I took away from this thread was that...

-Usually early in our hobby it's a need to get specific tones

-A "I don't have this brand so I need it mentality or that brand is better than my current brand"

-I have plenty of space so this room is strictly an instruments room

-As you get older you also have more money and time to spend on a hobby

-Having fewer instruments allowed you to focus on your craft and finally get better with a familiar instrument as opposed to having so many different untouched

-Realizing that having so many is upkeep care that you either like, don't mind because you have to, or dislike because you have to.

-This item or that item has more sentiment so it's staying forever even if I never touch it again

-One in, One out helps the sanity or 5 in, one out helps the sanity

This all was me, I'm ashamed to admit. This was not meant to cause any harm, so apologies to all. And, Thank you for sharing your thoughts. May you all get better at your craft and/or have the most gear that completes you. I look forward to reading about all your guitar adventures.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Yes, every time I get to three of them. I'm not kidding, I get stressed if there are more than two sitting around..
Same boat myself. Two is my magic number.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:11 PM

Two might be my number. The Gibson J50 I've had for 20 years is a keeper. The Larrivee 00, with a very different tone, is a keeper UNTIL my Halcyon NL-00 gets built, then I'll choose one or the other.

I'm trying to sell a Tacoma Papoose on Craigslist right now, not much interest. I will probably sell my Breedlove concertina next. Compared to the Larrivee 00 the concertina is just not as rich, big, and bold sounding. I'll reach for the Larrivee every time (except the concertina is 12 frets with a cutaway, which has a certain usefulness.)

I'll keep my resonator guitar, since that's a whole different animal. So maybe 3 is the number.

But the Breedlove will need to go, the Larrivee 00 wins every time for small-body guitar sounds.

I have more electric guitars than acoustics, but the sound differences between electrics are more pronounced than acoustics. A couple Telecasters, two Gretsch Anniversaries, a Reverend p90/humbucker rig. I guess I'm more of an electric player, though in this COVID era I've had a re-acquaintance with my acoustic guitars. Which is why I started reading this site.
Basses
Electric guitars
Lap steel

Last edited by standup; 04-04-2022 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

There is an old joke about accordions that goes lie this...

An accordion player after a gig stopped at a store to get something to drink since it was a hot day. He left the car door unlocked and his accordion in the back seat. When he was in the store, he realized that he had not locked the car door and rushed out only to find that he was too late, and somebody had already left a second accordion in the back seat. He quickly drove off before any more showed up.

That is the story I tell my wife. I forgot to lock the car and left my guitar in the back seat. Unfortunately, when I came back to the car, there was already another guitar in the back seat so what could I do but take it home. After a time or two of this unfortunate incident repeating itself, well, I do have several guitars now.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-04-2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Down to 2 from 8 and focusing on playing vs buying/selling
I like to say I've replaced my GAS with GPS (Guitar playing syndrome)
Old 04-04-2022, 11:53 PM

You know, if your guitar playing mission is to try everything you can playing-wise and guitar-wise in your very short allotted time, accounting sensibilities don't really apply.

My best for me guitars are just so far away from what people recommend here regularly that I just would not have found what I wanted.....

eg: my custom made black top deep body 00 Gabon ebony back and sides with Italian spruce top (but how would I know if I still had not tried a D18, a D28, a J45, a......:

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 04-04-2022 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

I have, but it’s a moving target. At the moment, I have three acoustics and two electrics. I’ve felt like I’ve had too many with fewer than this, but at the moment I don’t really. On some level, three acoustics feels like too many, but at the moment I have two Martins that I love and have for a while and just added a carbon fiber Emerald X7 for when humidity is just totally out of whack high or low and as a small travel guitar. Right NOW I’m playing the X7 almost exclusively because the indoor humidity hasn’t been above the low 30s for the week and a half I’ve been back home after a winter down south and because the guitar is still brand spanking new and I’m getting reacquainted with it (I owned one previously)… But I fully expect that when the dust settles, the Martins will get the vast majority of my playing time and the Emerald will serve the role I bought it to serve - high/low humidity always in reach guitar and travel guitar. Time will tell - I doubt this is gonna feel like too many, but I’ve been wrong more than once before…

I’ve always been a one-electric (strat) guy, but sometimes I have a second one hanging around that gets very little play-time. That’s where I am now, and if my SG / P90s was worth anything I’d probably sell it, but I intentionally bought a cheap Epiphone so I wouldn’t be tempted to sell it. Once in a great while, I gotta hear that P90 growl, so I’m glad to own it, as vanishingly little as I play it.

So right now five doesn’t feel like too many, but at times anything more than one electric and one acoustic has felt like too many, so I can’t predict how I’ll feel in a year or five or ten…

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion