The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2024, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Default SJ-200 - Loud and lots of bass or not? Varying answers

Ive seen some acoustic letter videos on YT where Quinton and Paul say the sj200 has a lot of bass and volume. Quinton specifically says it's like revving the engine of a muscle car.

But I've heard online from places like this that the sj200 is actually quite mellow and that the AJ and even exceptional j45s have more bass and volume.

Anyone can elaborate on this? I'm sure there's something im missing. I don't think Quinton and Paul would be wrong but there's probably something to what people online are describing as well?
Old 04-17-2024, 03:18 PM

SJ-200 - Loud and lots of bass or not? Varying answers

I know what they say about assuming, so here's a couple of things to clarify before giving a better answer.

Are you looking for answers for a Gibson J-200 Jumbo or Gibson SJ-200 Jumbo?

Or all guitars with a model number suffix of J-200 or SJ-200 no matter who makes them?

Note that Gibson has many variants on this Jumbo guitar, and that there is no real difference except the letter 'S' appearing (or not) in most of the nomenclature, including the label affixed to the guitar.
It is not the first Gibson guitar to have an 'SJ' prefix. Blame their marketing department.
The first one with the SJ prefix was a Dreadnought.
And it's called a J-200 because it's a Jumbo and original sold for $200 in the pre-WWII late 30s.

The very first J-200 Jumbo is in the Country Music Hall of Fame. It is a spruce over rosewood, custom built for Ray Whitley supposedly from his sketches of what he wanted in a guitar. The dimensions are the same as the 'true' J-200s being built today. Most people have never heard of him, but he was a 'singing cowboy' who also co-wrote "Back in the Saddle Again" with another singing cowboy named Gene Autry.

General answers follow.

Simple answer: No two guitars sound alike.

Always Play before Pay.

The answers can be all of the above, depending on woods used, locations built, year of manufacture, or something from the Custom Shop, to include special editions, artist editions, or special limited runs. And that still will probably not cover all possibilities.

I believe that a Jumbo is the shape that can produce guitars with the most naturally balanced sound.

My J-200 spruce over rosewood is going on 40 years old, and I have been the sole owner. It can be loud or soft, has incredible resonance, a reverb-like slow decay, and has aged not just gracefully, but also with absolutely great tone. Not to mention a nice darker patina on the natural wood top, and is still in great condition. But the tan-brown Gibson case has taken a beating over the years.

My J-200 is strung with my favorite 6 string gauge, Elixir PB HD Light gauge {.013, .017, .025, .032, .042, .053}, and it has great trebles, great middles, and great bass. Used to string it with Mediums, but the .056 bass isn't necessary and it sounds better with the Light gauge bass strings. I Also use the same gauge on my Taylor 818 Grand Orchestra (a plus-size Jumbo), and works just fine. Mediums send this 818 guitar into boomy-land. I also use the HD Light gauge on my much smaller Taylor 412e-R short scale Grand Concert. Some guitars don't like the HD gauge, but these spruce over rosewood guitars love it.

I fingerpick all my guitars using my nails as picks.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 04-17-2024 at 10:50 PM. Reason: proof reading
Old 04-17-2024, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

I don't like being too generalized about guitars because much of it is based on our perceptions, wants, and needs. I just played an SJ200 about 10 minutes ago at my local dealer. It's a great sounding guitar and would make for an excellent strummer. I played a D35 just after it and the difference in projection was startling. It certainly took more effort to get the SJ200 up to the loudness of the D35. Tonally, there is a huge difference, though I would not say either is better, just different.

In my opinion, I think an SJ200 could be really good for a singer/songwriter or if you don't need a ton of volume. I once owned a Martin CEO 8.5e, which was a jumbo. It too was fairly quiet but had great tone.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:14 PM

One nickname for the SJ-200 is “the whispering giant.” They tend to be quieter than most players expect.

As for bass response, all that I’ve played have been tonally balanced rather than bass-heavy.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-17-2024, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

I have had two SJ200s back in the early '70s, bother were maple, which should boost the treble, but If I remember correctly, they ere both rather middly and muddy sounding

I regard them as "cowboy strummers".

But - to be fair a few years ago i was sideman to a young lady singer songwriter who played a late model Sj-100 which was a very fine instrument, well balanced and very articulate. I think it was a Montana build?
Old 04-17-2024, 04:47 PM

I’ve found J200s to be the most contrasting guitars I can think of. They can be loud, full and rich or they can be the opposite - I’ve certainly heard and played both.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

I had a SG-200 back in the day for a while. It was loud and big (sound wise), but I recognize that with Gibsons its very important to pick out the best of a group of them. Some are incredible, some are very good, some are just good, and some are a hard pass. Find a shop that has a handful of them. You’ll probably find a good one.

Its also not just Gibsons. I’ve played some really great Martins lately and some that were not as great. If I gave Taylor a try I would expect to find the same thing.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
One nickname for the SJ-200 is “the whispering giant.” They tend to be quieter than most players expect.

As for bass response, all that I’ve played have been tonally balanced rather than bass-heavy.

Wade Hampton Miller
I haven't owned a J-200, but I do own a J-100. Mine has bubinga and not maple.

I was surprised to find how well balanced it is and it is nowhere near as loud as I thought it would be.

It's really just an all around winner.

I thought it would be some one trick pony but honestly if it was the only guitar I had it would do anything I needed it to do.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
I’ve found J200s to be the most contrasting guitars I can think of. They can be loud, full and rich or they can be the opposite - I’ve certainly heard and played both.

I couldn’t agree more. They are very inconsistent.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:43 PM

Quote:

As for bass response, all that I’ve played have been tonally balanced rather than bass-heavy...
+1 - if you want a 17" jumbo with major volume/headroom that doesn't compress or break up when you lay into it, along with floor-shaking bass, get yourself a '70s/80s Guild F-50R...
Old 04-18-2024, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

I have a Custom Shop Grand Jumbo 28 on order. It won’t be here until, at best, October. It’s so loud, I can here it already!
Old 04-18-2024, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

I have a 2006 J200 standard and the bass is like thunder. The guitar is like a Steinway piano, really, top to bottom.

Maybe I got a great one? I don’t know, but IMO the J200 is one of Gibson’s most consistent guitars, and I’ve never played a bad one.

I’ve owned an Advanced Jumbo and it did not compare to the J200 in sound or volume. Sound is just my opinion, of course, but the volume was not even close. I owned the J200 and AJ at the same time and decided to sell the AJ.

I’ve never, ever heard a J45 that compares, volume wise. I don’t think it is supposed to either.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:30 AM

Perhaps significant variations exist that we shouldn't attribute to the guitar model. Things that might confuse evaluation include

different pieces of wood
construction tolerances
strings
performance space acoustics
player
subjective impression that day and time
microphones
plectrums
Old 04-18-2024, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I have a Custom Shop Grand Jumbo 28 on order. It won’t be here until, at best, October. It’s so loud, I can here it already!
What top did you select?

I’ve played a few, SJ200 guitars and I love them. I find them balanced and nuanced.
My friend has one, and when he’s ready to sell it, I hope Im ready to buy.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Wade Hampton Miller
I think Wade summed it up well. Mine is well balanced in tone. It’s about as loud as most of my other guitars but it does seem to have a fair amount of headroom if you beat on it a bit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion