The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2003, 01:20 AM

Default inlay decor:

Hi I recently joined this forum due to my interest in Taylor guitars. I'm really excited to get to know you guys better as well as expanding my limited knowledge on these masterpieces.

While browsing through some pictures of taylor guitars on this forum, I noticed that a lot of members and non-members have guitars with special inlays(celtic?). They are truly beautiful and i've never seen them b4 and I own several Taylor guitar catalogs. Are these limited or are they available upon request? I know this question has probably been asked before so if someone could post an old thread pertaining to this that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I would like to know if it's better to order a guitar "brand new" directly from Taylor or to simply try out the instrument before purchasing it. Well, that's all for now. look forward to hearing from you guys.
cheers!
Stan
Old 07-13-2003, 01:32 AM

Some of these designs are limited (e.g. anniversary models, limited editions, gallery series), while others are custom made by Taylor. If you are interested in having these kinds of inlays I would suggest talking to a Taylor dealer in your area, whom you would need to go through if you were to ever order a custom guitar from Taylor.

Nearly everyone on the forum would probably agree that playing a guitar before you buy it is extremely important. All guitars are not made alike, and buying decisions regarding instruments built as fine as Taylors really come down to personal preferences.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:49 PM

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to get all types of info on Taylor guitars, including all ranges of opinions on which Taylor is best...

We even sometimes hear from the factory, which is always a thrill!

To buy or not to buy will always be a personal choice. To order custom or try it first is also a personal choice. EVERYone has an opinion, and rightfully so. If Taylor made only ONE guitar model, they would be out of business pretty quick!

Here's my opinion: don't order custom until you've played enough different models to relate to the opinions expressed in this forum. I guess that translates to: try them out first.

Couple the actual experience with the "inside" education brought forth in this forum, and you'll be a better consumer.

Taylor brought together computer technology and old-fashioned caring about what he builds, that's what makes his guitars so great.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:47 PM
Don't Tread On Me

Hi and welcome from another relatively new member.

I've played Taylors for about six years now. I visit a lot of stores and I play a lot of guitars --- I also buy a few. Even guitars as uniform as Taylor's vary from guitar to guitar though not as dramatically as others such as Martins. If you have a couple of dealers in your extended area then you usually can try out a wide range of the line.

Unless your needs are special either techniquely, decoratively or wood combinations, I'd recommend playing the guitar before you buy it. Some dealers have a 30 day try it out/ return it no questions asked. So if you special order a standard model from your dealer, get it nice and clean from the factory but don't like it you can take it back. I don't know how that works with a custom order -- it probably doesn't.

"Sometimes a brain can come in quite handy." Jibjab
Old 07-13-2003, 06:09 PM

I played every Taylor and other brand I could get my hands on for about a year. After that I had the opportunity to play a CPSM signiture model. Actually it was Chris' own guitar. I was so taken with the CPSM that I found a new one and bought it sight unseen. Think I wasn't wondering what it would sound like? I sure was but when it came I was completely satisfied.

I also played a lot of 712ce and one in particular with a cedar top. I couldn't see paying what they wanted for it so I found a used one and bought it sight unseen. Again think I wasn't wondering what it would sound like?

With the used guitar I got a period of time to decide if I liked it. With the new CPSM it was mine when it left the store.

Would I do it again this way. More than likely I would but if I could play it first I sure would prefer doing it that way. As others have said even with each Taylor of the same model they don't all sound the same.
Midnight Shadow
Old 07-13-2003, 08:36 PM
Winning!

i love jarsofclay.

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion