The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2021, 07:54 AM

Default A rare, 'natural' occurrence, in my world

Since I've been monitoring the RH in my apt, (just a few mos), it usually hangs between low 40's an low 50's % with the temp kept by my a/c at 75 F- down here, in south east Texas we're noted for high temp and high humidity in mid year, which is most of the time

Today, the RH outside is 68%, the temp is 43

Inside, the temp is at 73, the RH is at 45% - therefore, a "rare natural", occurrence, near perfect wouldn't you say?
Old 11-26-2021, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

The wind has come round to a strong northerly here today. I can see a sprinkling of snow on the summit of Cadair Idris from my desk. The temp outside is a few deg above freezing. And the humidity inside has dropped right down to.........60%. We may get a few days over the winter where the inside humidity goes as low as 50%.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
The wind has come round to a strong northerly here today. I can see a sprinkling of snow on the summit of Cadair Idris from my desk. The temp outside is a few deg above freezing. And the humidity inside has dropped right down to.........60%. We may get a few days over the winter where the inside humidity goes as low as 50%.

What type of heating do you have?
Old 11-26-2021, 10:23 AM

I live in south-central Texas, just outside of San Antonio. The RL this time of year is in the 45-55% range and the temperature is totally unpredictable from day to day. Indoors my hydrometers and thermometers tell me the humidity is from 45- 55%, the central system keeps the temp at a very constant 75 degrees.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Here in the arid high mountain valley I am almost always pumping water into the air to reach 42%. This summer, during a rainstorm, the rh reached a 10 year high ... 52%

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-26-2021, 10:52 AM

Well here in Northern Vermont on a rainy stay inside day after Thanksgiving with an outside temp of 40 degrees looking at my living area hygrometer it reads 68 degrees and 31% RH
Old 11-26-2021, 10:55 AM

Here in the Rockies, I often notice the driest it gets indoors in the winter is after a good snowfall; and if that snow happens to later sublimate then it becomes super dry for a couple of days. (not that we have any snow to mention thus far, this year!) Just made me go down and check the furnace-humidifier-filter!
2005 - Takamine G116 Classical
1985 - Alvarez 5021 12 (Hand Made, Japan)
1986 - Alvarez 5222 6 (Korea)
2011 - Alvarez MD711c
2010 - Ibanez A300 Quilted Maple
2013 - Martin Backpacker
1990's - Ovation Celebrity Dlx 6 - black
1990's - Ovation Celebrity Dlx 12 - natural
Old 11-26-2021, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12barBill View Post
What type of heating do you have?
Heating? I live in a stone house built 200 years ago with single glazed sash windows. We have a wood stove, jumpers, hats and an electric blanket on the bed. And watch telly sitting under a blanket.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:42 PM

Today in Southern California it's a beautiful 78 degrees Fahrenheit; and a disconcerting 7% humidity outside.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

My music room tonight. Winter = cold and damp. Summer = slightly warmer and damp!

Old 11-26-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Heating? I live in a stone house built 200 years ago with single glazed sash windows. We have a wood stove, jumpers, hats and an electric blanket on the bed. And watch telly sitting under a blanket.
Robin, you seriously need to invest in an electric or propane heater. I'm getting cold just thinking about it!
Old 11-27-2021, 02:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Robin, you seriously need to invest in an electric or propane heater. I'm getting cold just thinking about it!
LOL. if you knew the price for gas and electricity in the UK! Our electricity supplier went bust last week and the government has had to take over the company to keep 1.7 million homes connected. So everyone is braced for another price hike after Christmas.

We do have 4kw of solar panels on the roof, so do the washing and heat the water tank when the sun shines.

In SoCal I bet that you could run everything off solar for free!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion