The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 AM

Default Bone Again

A few months ago I swapped the Tusq saddle on my 615ce to a bone saddle from Bob Colosi. There was a slight change in the sound for the better. I was looking for a big change as I already loved the guitar's sound.

Soon after I played a 2010 510ce Koa Ltd. at a local dealer. I loved the sound but didn't care at all for the look of the koa on the guitar and didn't like the price. Haven't wanted a GS body for a while I saw that Jim at Guitar Rodeo had a 2010 516ce Koa Ltd. for sale (he still has it on his site but I assure you I own it now: http://www.guitarrodeo.com/taylor_de...1.39&series=LT )

When I got the guitar it sounded great but just not like the 510 sounded that I played. I realize that a dreadnought has a different sound as I own a 610ce and know how different it is then my 615ce.
Today I added a bone saddle to the 516ce and WOW! It has the little extra clarity and low end I heard in the 510 I had played.

As many on AGF has said, the change to a bone saddle sometimes helps, sometimes hurts, and sometimes does nothing. In this case it was a homerun.
Taylor 516ce Ltd. Koa
Bose PAS
Old 03-24-2011, 02:58 PM

Hey SludgeFactory - glad to hear that the bone saddle made a difference. I find that the smallest changes, such as new or different strings, different saddle, different pic, can make big differences in tone.

You did the right thing by trying some of those things out!
Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion