The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2010, 06:14 AM

Default ES - how to get only 2 low bass string signals?

Hello!

I wonder can anyone recommend how to extract 2 string signals from 2 bottom bass strings (E & A) into the ES? I want to use ES preamp as the bass expansion pickup through the external Octabase pedal to soup up the bridge combo UST (piezo&mic on AER AK30+) with an octave lower bass signal. Does anone have an idea how to do it? I.e. how to cut the signal off from the first 4 high string humbucker coils? I even thought about chopping part of the humbucker itself inside the neck cavity (leaving only 2 low bass coils), if chopping of humbucker wires towards the ES does not do the job. I don't need the Dynamic Body Sensors because combo UST will pick up the vibrations of the guitar top.

Does anyone have the ES-to-humbucker wiring diagram to share?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-28-2010, 04:01 PM

Can't be done. Think about what a pickup is: a magnetic field that "picks up" a sound field. Not to mention an entire pickup is a coil around poles ...,you can't simply "cut" a pup apart. Even if you could only isolate the E and A poles (which you cannot), they would still detect ("hear") the other strings. What you are looking for is a synth-type pickup which has six discrete sensors, and therefore discrete signals, each indiv string. The Graphtech saddles come immediately to mind, but there are others.

Edward
Old 06-28-2010, 06:58 PM

Steven King (not the scary story writer) does this with his guitars. He writes about bass expansion here...
http://www.guitarbystevenking.net/instruments.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzxtJsyhGi0

It requires a seperate pickup for the E and A bass strings. There's really no other way to do it.

He also talks about the LR Baggs T-Bridge
http://www.lrbaggs.com/tbridge.htm
Taylor GA3
Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 AM

Thanks guys!I see it now how it works. ES seemed to me as an ideal inbuilt pickup for that.Maybe chopping the first 4 coils out and hand rewiring it just around 2 low string coils can do do the job, but..yes..it's too brave to do it for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion