The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2011, 02:51 PM

Default Bridge Pin Question?

I restrung my guitar last night and the bridge pin of the D string and B string is slightly pulled up and out maybe a 1/8 of an inch higher than the rest that are seated perfectly. I figured it would make the guitar fall out of tune easily but after stretching the strings and playing for an hour it held almost perfectly.

My question is, is this short lived and will it start causing problems and could the ball end of the strings damage the bridge pins because the aren't set properly. The strings I put on were Newtone Masterclass, if that would make a difference, and this has nevered happened to me with any other string.

So, I keep plenty of strings on hand (I'm a string Junky) but like to get the life out of the strings I put on, or do I change immediatley.

Thank You in Advance for any advice.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:57 PM

Could you not fully seat them when you changed strings or did they pull up slightly as you tuned the guitar after the change?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:04 PM

They pulled up as I tuned.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzo View Post
They pulled up as I tuned.
Then either
i) the ball end was lifting the end of the pin out - solution is to slightly bend the ball end of the string before inserting to avoid the end getting trapped on the blunt end of the pin.
ii) the extra wraps on the string before the ball end are wider than the slot to accommodate them in the bridge pin, thus string wedges in slot and pin lifts on tuning up. Solution - with a small round file or similar, enlarge bridge pin slot slightly in width and depth as necessary.

Hope this helps
Keith

Last edited by ocarolan; 07-26-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:48 PM

This may sound crazy but I have had that happen before. I try to push down on the pin as I tune and also I have switched pins from one hole to the other and it worked. Seems like the Low E string does not pull up as bad so I switch them around. Also be sure the fat part of the windind in facing the slot in the pin. This may help. If you do happen to get them back to normal then next time you change strings, do one at a time and take a magic marker and mark the bottom of the pin with a # 1,2,3 etc. or with a "dot". .. ... Much easies that way. The marks will be hidden. It worked for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion