The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2010, 05:54 PM

Default New Guitar Arriving Tomorrow

I have a new rosewood B&S guitar on the way and I've read it should sit for a time in order to adapt to room temperature. Can someone give me an idea what to expect in getting it unpacked?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:10 PM
*mahoganut*

Hi Charlie - I've got one coming on Wednesday or Thursday as well, so I'll share what I've read, heard, experienced, and plan for mine.

It depends on what temp it's coming from and what the temp is there. It will have been on the delivery truck most of the day I'd suspect - if earlier, then the overnight temps in the distribution facility will determine what it's coming from.

I'd be concerned with two things - possible damage due to shipping, and warming it up too quickly. For possible damage, look over the shipping box carefully with the driver still there. If it's been packed well (original hard case, properly packed in a guitar sized box, etc.) and there's no signs of external damage like crushed corners, gouges, penetrations anywhere on the box, then it's probably worth the gamble that there's no shipping damage. If you find some later on, take lots of pictures and call the shipping co immediately.

For mine, it's being shipped from California; Fedex put it in Memphis yesterday (warm); it's going to come here to central Oklahoma just in time for freezing temps - teens - and therefore will need some careful slow warming to room temp. Assuming no signs of damage, I'll leave it in my garage for a couple of hours (will be about 20 degrees warmer than outside); then inside (still packed in the box) the house for a couple more hours, then I'll open the box and let the ambient air in for another couple of hours. Then I'll take the case out of the box and let it sit for another couple of hours. I think this is a bit longer than needed - probably 6 hours total for the 50 degree differential would be my guess at the right length of time - but this is a very expensive guitar and I intend on giving it the best chance of no thermal shock.

It will be snowy/rainy outside, so there will be a humidity change as well. I'll depend on the time to acclimate as described to take care of the humidity as well.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

rr/Phil
Old 01-26-2010, 06:38 PM

Thanks Phil-
Yesterday it arrived in Oklahoma City from Pennsylvania . It left Oklahoma City last night and arrived in Dallas this morning. It was in the low fifties there yesterday afternoon and in the low thirties in Dallas this morning with overnight lows to be in the forties tonight. I don't have to contend with snow/rain as a high pressure system has been in place in this area for the last couple of days. I had read about letting it adjust to temperatures and I did not know how long I should let it set before opening it up. This is gonna be worse than waiting on Christmas.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 PM
*mahoganut*

It was 55 today (I'm just 45 miles NE of OKC) and about 24 for a low last night, so temps have really been pretty mild. If at any point the next thing you open feels cool to the touch, that would be a clue to wait a bit longer.

The poly finish on many new guitars (my Baranik that's coming, all Taylors, for example) are very robust and not as tender as many other "vintage" finishes. So it partly depends on your guitar and how it's finished.

Best!

Phil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion