The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2024, 02:09 PM

Default Bottleneck Guitar

Do you prefer playing on acoustic or resonator guitars?

For years I played on acoustics then changed to resonators. Playing on resonators I had to adjust my style, it was too loud on resonators, but I lost my feel.

I went back to acoustics, but I now didn't feel comfortable on them either.

Tonight, I put a capo on the 2nd fret of my Seagull S6 Original (which I didn't like), and it turned into a honkey-tonk guitar! Amazing. I loved it, and my old feel came back.

My resonator will be on eBay soon!
MM Blues resonator
Seagull S6 Original
Old 03-09-2024, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansch View Post
Do you prefer playing on acoustic or resonator guitars?
Absolutely!

They're completely different instruments, and I love playing both. In fact I love playing all four kinds of guitar: acoustic, electric, squareneck resonator, and roundneck resonator.

Quote:
For years I played on acoustics then changed to resonators. Playing on resonators I had to adjust my style, it was too loud on resonators, but I lost my feel.

I went back to acoustics, but I now didn't feel comfortable on them either.

Tonight, I put a capo on the 2nd fret of my Seagull S6 Original (which I didn't like), and it turned into a honkey-tonk guitar! Amazing. I loved it, and my old feel came back.
You've found your sweet spot, man!

Quote:
My resonator will be on eBay soon!
A win-win-win-win-win!
Old 03-09-2024, 06:00 PM

I love my Nationals - they are the look and sound - but my Tricone can be really heavy to lug, so I started putting acoustics in Open G, later putting thicker high E string on and played some ‘junkers’ like that in the classic tradition......

But the latest slide king has to be the ladder braced Waterloo WL-14L......if you have not played bottleneck on one I seriously suggest you go looking for one. Ladder bracing cries! Sings!

BluesKing777.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

I bought a new National NRP Tri Cone fairly recently and B-King you're right its heavy and definitely the loudest guitar I own.

I have a Martin OM18A that sounds good in open G and D but I'm actually quite thrilled with my new National. I think I got a good deal at of 20% off during a Xmas sale.

It's a 12 fret which I like because you can run the slide up to the 12th fret with confidence that you won't over shoot it. I just put some new flatwound mediums on it. Sounds good to me and fun to play and even better, I haven't found a single 'issue' with yet

A very clean build unlike some of the 6 strings I've bought over the last 10 years.

I wouldn't give up on resonators but they are much different than wood guitars. It's good to own both and a 12 string as well. Variety is good if you can afford it.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:24 PM

I play slide on resonators, as well as acoustic and electric guitars. I find that it’s all about finding the right slide. The right slide for a resonator is probably too heavy for an electric. As a general rule, I like glass on electric, ceramic on acoustic, and brass on a resonator. Lighter slides produce a thinner tone, but are easier to control without fretting out. Slides are cheap. Buy a bunch and mess around.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 03-10-2024, 09:40 AM

Just like any of my guitars, my resonator has the right voice for some songs, but not for others. That's why I own each of them.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:21 AM

I've got a decades-old cheap single cone Epiphone "The Biscuit" resonator that scratches that itch. It's got its own sound and response and I only play it bottleneck slide style. I wouldn't describe the tone of the thing as I play it as pretty, but more at impactful.

But.

I'll play a similar style a lot of the time on my Martin 00-15. Of course it doesn't sound identical to the resonator, but it works more-or-less interchangeably for the same repertoire. Note: I only play for my own enjoyment and for recording my pieces for my long-running Parlando Project. The Biscuit might be louder and project more in an acoustic ensemble.

I'll agree with what was said upthread for players looking for a change: experiment with slide sizes and materials.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-29-2024, 03:02 PM

Hey Blues King 777 - I play Fingerstyle blues and my main guitar for years was a Martin 000-28EC - but I’ve barely touched it since getting the WL 14-L about 8 months ago. I sold my acoustic slide box - a 2021 000-15SM Martin to go toward the Waterloo - and now the Waterloo is now my everyday guitar, and way too comfortable, bluesy and great to want to set it up for slide. Unless I can figure out and find an alternative acoustic (what one - and that’s a whole ‘nother topic ?), I may set up the 000-EC for slide? What’s your slide set up on the Waterloo - string gauge, height, etc.? Thanks.

I pick, therefore I grin

2017 Waterloo WL-14L
2005 Martin 000-28EC
2022 Guild M-20
Old 04-29-2024, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

For many years I played Dobro in bluegrass bands. I still have my Mod 27 Deluxe with Beard cone, but I haven't seen it let alone played it for ages.

For a time I had a National Style "0" deluxe - a wonderful instrument, but just too heavy (gave me backache) and just too loud, so I traded for my National Estralita. Again, I don't play it nowadays.

Old 04-29-2024, 07:41 PM

Mostly I play regular acoustics but enjoy a change to resonator once in a while. They are very useful when recording, giving a different sound texture.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodygc50 View Post
Hey Blues King 777 - I play Fingerstyle blues and my main guitar for years was a Martin 000-28EC - but I’ve barely touched it since getting the WL 14-L about 8 months ago. I sold my acoustic slide box - a 2021 000-15SM Martin to go toward the Waterloo - and now the Waterloo is now my everyday guitar, and way too comfortable, bluesy and great to want to set it up for slide. Unless I can figure out and find an alternative acoustic (what one - and that’s a whole ‘nother topic ?), I may set up the 000-EC for slide? What’s your slide set up on the Waterloo - string gauge, height, etc.? Thanks.
Fantastic Jody...you have the Waterloo ladder brace bug, eh?

Mine are not raised at all. I was going to but...haven't.
There is only one answer on this forum...get another Waterloo for slide! The 000-28EC might be ok, though not the mids of the Waterloo....probably better the other way round with 000-28EC for fingers and Waterloo ladder for slide? My EC is great but a bit quiet compared to the Waterloos.

Only one way to know....

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion