The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2022, 07:47 PM

Default Is damage from clip-on tuners and capos possible, or am I just paranoid?

I recently bought the nicest guitar I've ever owned, and I'm just loving it. I've been playing it hours a day. I don't baby my guitars - I buy them to play them. I wear metal fingerpicks, and if I end up playing this thing until the wood around the sound hole is worn away from my picks, I'll consider it money well-spent and damage well-earned.

That being said, I'm finding myself being a little more paranoid about clip-on tuners and capos than I ever have been before. I have a Unitune, which has a really tight spring, and I find myself really nervous when I'm putting it on and taking it off, because it feels like one finger slip could leave a gouge in my headstock. I don't mind honest play-wear, but that would hurt.

Same thing with capos - I have a Paige, and the part that makes contact with the back of the neck is rubber (I think). I find myself worrying about it damaging the finish, or about putting it on too tightly and imprinting on the neck.

Am I just being paranoid, or are these concerns valid?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2022, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
I recently bought the nicest guitar I've ever owned, and I'm just loving it. I've been playing it hours a day. I don't baby my guitars - I buy them to play them. I wear metal fingerpicks, and if I end up playing this thing until the wood around the sound hole is worn away from my picks, I'll consider it money well-spent and damage well-earned.

That being said, I'm finding myself being a little more paranoid about clip-on tuners and capos than I ever have been before. I have a Unitune, which has a really tight spring, and I find myself really nervous when I'm putting it on and taking it off, because it feels like one finger slip could leave a gouge in my headstock. I don't mind honest play-wear, but that would hurt.

Same thing with capos - I have a Paige, and the part that makes contact with the back of the neck is rubber (I think). I find myself worrying about it damaging the finish, or about putting it on too tightly and imprinting on the neck.

Am I just being paranoid, or are these concerns valid?

Thanks!
Natural rubber won't damage a lacquer finish. Plastic will if left on too long. It's advisable to not leave capos & tuners on when not needed.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:58 PM

Yes it is possible. Use the tuner and capo then remove them when not in use.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I also try to be as careful as possible when using anything that is spring loaded like some tuners and capos can be. Wise to use reasonable care as you fully enjoy your guitars.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-30-2022, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

My Gurian suffered from a screw-down capo left on overnight too many times. There are little rough spots in the finish on the neck. Oops.

Let common sense guide you.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 05-31-2022, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Is it possible ? Yes.
Is it likely? No.
I had kept clip on tuners on headstocks for years on my various guitars and had many on stands by K&M which are of some sort of composite.

I've never wanted to leave a capo attached to a guitar and never store them with a strap affixed (and I only use leather straps which I make myself.

Most accessory brands will stick a label on their products to warn of this possibility to deny all/any responsibility.

The only guitar that I've had issues with was a new custom Huss & Dalton which had a finish which was, I guess, poorly cured as it would mark simply by finger contact.

Most makers apply the finishes correctly, but hardness varies from brand to brand. I've never had issues with Collings, Santa Cruz, Martin, National, Dobro, or Eastman.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
Natural rubber won't damage a lacquer finish.
I'm no longer so convinced it can't. I have an Armadillo arm rest that's supposedly made from natural rubber. I took it off the Loar yesterday because I felt like cleaning the guitar, and it seems the underside from that armrest's overhang has made an imprint on the finish (where it's been pressed down by my arm), one that I haven't been able to remove entirely even with Planet Wave polish. I have this guitar since last december so have played it almost exclusively wearing long sleeves to date - little contact with bare, sweaty skin!
Needless to say I reinstalled it higher up so the overhang will rarely if ever touch the top anymore.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 05-31-2022, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Yes it is possible. Use the tuner and capo then remove them when not in use.
This

Anything is possible. If left on long enough Sure, damage can occur.

Lacquer is very easy to dissolve.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Use the tuner and capo then remove them when not in use.
I've done this for nearly 50 years. Never an issue.

(I'm still asking the question: Why do so many see the need to have everything left attached to their guitar? )
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 05-31-2022, 07:11 AM

Polyurethane is least likely to interact with things like tuners and capos

Nitrocellulose is far more likely to react to headstock tuners, guitar stands and capos, or any one of a hundred things I can think of

Martin, and Gibson USA made guitars, be careful with Stands, clip on tuners, straps you leave on the guitar in the case... etc.

I think those are two of the major builders still going w/Nitro on the finish.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-31-2022, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

The logo on my Martin is not a decal but some gold paint or whatever. I imagine capos, tuners, etc can and will erode the logo given time. This is not high on my worry list.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:34 AM

You're worried about using capo's and tuners when your picking style with metal picks grind away the wood around the sound hole?
Old 05-31-2022, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer View Post
You're worried about using capo's and tuners when your picking style with metal picks grind away the wood around the sound hole?
I must say I found this curious as well. I also wear metal finger picks and neither they nor my plastic thumb pick ever touch wood. He must be quite the energetic player.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer View Post
Was the explanation in my post not sufficient for you? I'm not constantly banging on the wood, but I do make contact with it occasionally. It stands to reason that, with enough time, this will be noticeable.

I was watching YouTube last night and came across this flatpicker who has worn a hole in a $40k Henderson. These things happen.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:43 PM

It's possible. I have a half-moon blemish by the soundhole on my HD-35 from a D'Addario micro tuner. I won't leave one on a nitro finish ever again.

Last edited by EZK123; 05-31-2022 at 12:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion