The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2022, 01:45 PM

Prefer no.

But I find they don't sound nearly as horrible on a mid size Sitka/Mahogany as they do on rosewood.

I accidentally bought some 80/20s once. I've been using them up on my wife's Larrivee OM-03. It's win-win. She's happy that she gets new strings, I'm happy because they are not on one of my guitars.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-28-2022, 04:37 PM

Thanks all- I did try the John Pearse and liked them. Phosphor bronze being the most popular I don't read many reviews of 80/20s on here and thus my questions. I have a couple more sets; Dean Markley Vintage Bronze and some Curt Mangan. I

I have a buddy at work with a D-35. His tech strung it up with 80/20s and told him that is definitely what he should stick with. Not sure why, maybe the 80/20s add back some mids into the scooped nature of rosewood? But mahogany/ sapele is a much dryer sounding tonewood than rosewood so I can see how 80/20s might compliment that sound for those who like that dry tone.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:19 PM

I've used 80/20 over the years as well as PB's on a D-18 and two Red Label Yamaha FG-180s. To me the 80/20's put out more volume while PB's put out a sweeter tone. The 80/20's don't last as long either but, having said that, I use the 80/20 's on the most beat up, loud and warped FG and the PB's on the other sweeter FG.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Noledog! It's been a while. How you doing?

I just double checked my Taylor 314ce and Martin D-16GT which are both sitka/mahogany. Both have PBs on them. I used 80/20s on my Taylor for years though and I'm going to try them again next string change (I don't play that guitar much).
Yo Dru,
Doing well, thanks bro! I’m into the summer season here on the FLA coast gratefully making a living doing my usual 4-6 shows a week; small cruises, tiki bars, special events with a few weddings in there too; plus teach guitar one day a week.
I used to use PB’s and appreciate what they can do tonally, however, for what I do, the 80/20’s give me the definition/presence for my touch. I can see why on your 314, which has wonderful presence built in, that PB’s may round out the tone a bit. The Darco and Earthwood 80/20 or PB may surprise you; I like both brands. If I remember correctly Dru, don’t you have an older D16? I loved that model when it came out! I think 80/20s would sound great on it!

Cheers buddy!

eric
Old 05-28-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Anyone prefer this combo over other alloy choices? I know some players like them with rosewood b/s but how about mahogany or sapele?

Thoughts?
I use 80/20 strings on all my acoustics regardless of wood combination.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:22 PM

I prefer PB on mahogany and 80/20 on rosewood.
Recording King RO-26
www.nathan-barnes.com
Old 05-29-2022, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
This, unfortunately in some ways, tells the story. The unfortunate part is that the only reliable way to find out what works on any given guitar (to your ear) is to try a bunch of strings.

I think it's a fine idea to try and narrow down the way too many choices out there, but ultimately you're going to have to purchase a pile of strings and see what you think. I try to think of it as an adventure.
Very true. I don’t use 80/20s based on wood; I use them based on the tone I get with PBs and the ability to add some treble to the tone if I change to 80/20s. With the guitar I use them on I tried three brands before I found the right match, but it was definitely worth the journey as far as I’m concerned.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

That's what I play. I use the GHS 11-50s phosphorus bronze.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-29-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Yo Dru,
Doing well, thanks bro! I’m into the summer season here on the FLA coast gratefully making a living doing my usual 4-6 shows a week; small cruises, tiki bars, special events with a few weddings in there too; plus teach guitar one day a week.
I used to use PB’s and appreciate what they can do tonally, however, for what I do, the 80/20’s give me the definition/presence for my touch. I can see why on your 314, which has wonderful presence built in, that PB’s may round out the tone a bit. The Darco and Earthwood 80/20 or PB may surprise you; I like both brands. If I remember correctly Dru, don’t you have an older D16? I loved that model when it came out! I think 80/20s would sound great on it!

Cheers buddy!

eric
Hey Eric! Yes, I bought my D-16GT LTD new back in 2009. LTD because it's a Long & McQuade exclusive with an aged top. I bought it on the first strum .

My next string change on the D16 will be 80/20s. I haven't played that guitar much over the past few years but the past few weeks it's the one I've played the most. I put a strap on it for the first time and it doesn't bother my shoulder.

Keep rocking Noledog!
Old 05-30-2022, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

80/20s on Sitka over Mahogany

Not for me. I use 80/20 strings to bring out treble on a darker sounding guitar, say cedar over rosewood as on my Olson SJ. All my spruce over mahogany guitars sound best with PB strings; 80/20 just adds to the brightness of an already bright guitar.

- Glenn
Old 05-30-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
80/20s on Sitka over Mahogany

Not for me. I use 80/20 strings to bring out treble on a darker sounding guitar, say cedar over rosewood as on my Olson SJ. All my spruce over mahogany guitars sound best with PB strings; 80/20 just adds to the brightness of an already bright guitar.

- Glenn
I agree with Glenn. I use PB on all my guitars except for my Gruhn custom D-18GE with sinker mahogany back and sides. It is a slightly darker sounding guitar and the 80/20s bring out the treble. The 80/20s don’t seem to last as long as PB but it’s worth the extra effort. The tone on this guitar is incredible!
Old 05-30-2022, 11:41 AM

I tried 80/20s awhile back and thought they sounded too brittle.

Well I just found some EB Paradigm 80/20s on clearance and enjoy them. I found once I changed picks to something not like an ice pick sound and gave it a few days, these 80/20s do not sound shrill. They warm up just enough and sound kind of like newish PB. 4 out of 5 of my guitars are Spruce over Rosewood. One of them Engelmann.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

I like 80/20s. A more traditional sound. More bell like bass (a PB 6th string is always such a disappointment in comparison). I wouldn't say more top, but the scooped mids give that impression. None of the messy fizz of PBs. If you are listening to records with D18s or J45s pre-1970s then you are more than likely hearing 80/20s on spruce/mahogany. A standard set of EB Earthwood 80/20s (Mapes wire?) gets my vote. Not tried JPs for a while (they don't seem to travel well to the UK) but I think that they are Mapes wire too.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-31-2022, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I like 80/20s. A more traditional sound. More bell like bass (a PB 6th string is always such a disappointment in comparison). I wouldn't say more top, but the scooped mids give that impression. None of the messy fizz of PBs.
Amen to that (I'd add the term muddy somewhere in there though)! Brass does sound rather "brassh" when it's new, but give it a few days and the strings will mellow out to an extent that PB doesn't, while remaining a livelyness higher up the string that PB also cannot really follow in my experience. I have a hunch PB winding is typically stiffer.

The only guitar that gets 2 PB-wounds is my nylon-strung resonator; the D and A (GHS 2100W). The low E is brass though; the 2100W E sounds too deadish.

Those who'd prefer a little less brightness from 80/20 strings could try the Earthwood Silk & Steel or the TI Plectrums.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion