The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2022, 04:01 PM

I wish I could like BC as much as many people on here do. I really really really want to like them. They feel great ……but tonally I just can’t get along with them.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:04 PM

I bought 4 or 5 different sizes/shapes. I don't get the fad at all. One of my least favorite picks, primarily because they are completely stiff/rigid. Just think my picking techniques aren't evolved enough to appreciate these, although I can appreciate the way they interact with the strings. I like Dunlop gold .80, and Charmed Life more.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
I wish I could like BC as much as many people on here do. I really really really want to like them. They feel great ……but tonally I just can’t get along with them.
I guess I represent a tiny minority, but I don't detect a lot of difference tonewise between Vespel and high quality celluloid. What I love about Blue Chip is the feel (although, again, high quality celluloid feels just fine in my hands) and, especially, durability.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've never found the perfect pick material, and I've been looking for more than forty years. The truth is, there isn't one. There's only the material(s) that work best for you. It could be Vespel, or casein, or Primetone, or any of a dozen other materials out there.

I've always enjoyed the hunt. Just be sure to wear camouflage and insect repellant.

sm
Old 05-31-2022, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
After reading this thread yesterday I picked up my BC TP-1R 50 and played it a while last night. Then put it back in my pick bag. Vespel plays like butter but the tone is just soooo bland and boring!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-31-2022, 02:07 PM

Just got an e-mail that said my pick shipped. I guess that's what I get for ordering on a Saturday of a long weekend.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 05-31-2022, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Vespel plays like butter but the tone is just soooo bland and boring!
Pretty much my feelings on them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion