The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2015, 09:11 AM

Default Visit Mexico for Open Mic

My little town in Baja, Mexico is a quiet, safe, beautiful little town... surrounded by 6,500 ft mountains, right on the Sea of Cortez, world class fishing and diving, scenic offshore islands, hiking and climbing in the mountains... and our Music Scene is growing!

We are just reaching the end of our 2nd Season... the Open Mic I started here has become wildly popular, regularly playing and singing goes past midnight... play all your favorite cover songs with no bureaucracy, fees, red tape... FUN!

It would be great fun if some of my AGF bretheren could come visit. We have an International Airport, flights are reasonable, I will help you get discounts on hotel and car rental. Come down for an Open Mic Night! PM me first!

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 05-14-2015, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

That sounds great! I'd love to someday?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-14-2015, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

That sounds like a blast. Shouldn't be too hard to get there from Orange County, CA. I'll look into it...
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others
Old 05-14-2015, 01:43 PM

Looks great!!! I used to go camping in Punta Final, and Puertocitos, regularly, early 1980's. Your place looks like a blast, congratulations!!!!!!
Rattlesnake beer? I've seen lots of beautiful green snakes down there.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:00 PM

Oooh! My wife and I have been considering a Mexico trip! Congrats on your success!

Picotte 12 Fret Dread - German Spruce/Claro Walnut
Taylor Custom GC6 - Sitka/Flamed Maple
Martin Custom 000-15sm All Genuine Mahogany
Cordoba C12 Limited - Euro Spruce/ Madi Rosewood
Old 05-14-2015, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the nice comments... this is Loreto, Baja Sur... we are 700 miles south of San Diego. We call it "the Island of Loreto" because the area is remote from any other cities. This is a truly special place. My wife and I love the beauty of the mountains marching right to the sea, abundant wildlife and endless outdoor activities, but we have stayed here for 10 years because of the people. You will never find a town that is inhabited with more friendly people... virtually every person who comes here wants to come back.

A small taste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGnAwukgtPg

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 05-14-2015, 10:06 PM

Been dying to visit Loreto for some time. If it's a nice of all the things i've read about it, my wife and I are thinking it might be a good place to spend a good portion of the year now that we're retired.

We were in La Paz last year and I could not believe how beautiful the Sea of Cortez is. You're very lucky to call this home and it's nice to know there's some vibrant guitar culture there.

BTW, I thought you were moving to Antigua.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple

Last edited by _zedagive; 05-14-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
...I thought you were moving to Antigua.
It looks like I will be moving to Antigua in December, but I will always have a house in Loreto... so many freindships here. We will still visit on a regular basis, and after Antigua I suspect Loreto will be our final place.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
It looks like I will be moving to Antigua in December, but I will always have a house in Loreto... so many freindships here. We will still visit on a regular basis, and after Antigua I suspect Loreto will be our final place.
Great to hear. How bearable is the summer heat in that part of Baja? I was surprised how hot La Paz was during our visit last June and the locals said the worst is yet to come.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple

Last edited by _zedagive; 05-15-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:40 PM

Isn't Loretto a very good flyfishing destination?
Old 05-16-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
... How bearable is the summer heat in that part of Baja? I was surprised how hot La Paz was during our visit last June and the locals said the worst is yet to come.
Temperature wise, no so bad... the hottest it ever gets is 105F... the humidity is bad from mid-June to mid-Oct, which is storm season. If you understand Real Feel Temps (sensible + latent heat), it stays around 120-130F daytime during these months. When you're out on the water, it actually feels pretty nice (one of the main reasons I got a carbon fiber guitar, hot days out on the boat). You definitely need an air conditioner in the bedroom at night... it never drops below 90F with high humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Isn't Loretto a very good flyfishing destination?
Fishing and spearfishing here are world class. We have essentially 2 seasons... Yellowtail (really here all year if you know where and how), and Pelagic... during the summer all the big pelagics wander in; Marlin, Swordfish, Sailfish, Wahoo, Tuna, Dorado, Sierra. We also have lots of great year round reef fishing... Cabrilla, Pargo, Cochi... Perico only by spear, they don't take a hook.

The flyfishing for Dorado (and all the pelagics) is out of this world. There is an outfitter here who specializes in it: Baja Big Fish, owner Pam Bowles. In Mar & Apr we have surface Yellowtail (during spawn) so there is great flyfishing for YT... they are monstrously strong fish, would be a wild hoot to have one on a fly line.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:21 AM

Is it just a coincidence or did this thread appear 24 hours after they last showed "From Dusk til Dawn" on IFC?
You still have to deal with Santanico Pandemonium!
Old 05-16-2015, 08:58 AM

Count me in ... in the fall. I'll be on sabbatical from my teaching job in the fall and spending most of my time in Sonora, Mexico, working on my next book. I'll most definitely find time for a trip to Baja.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Is it just a coincidence or did this thread appear 24 hours after they last showed "From Dusk til Dawn" on IFC? You still have to deal with Santanico Pandemonium!
Sorry zabdart, you lost me, references a bit too obscure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Count me in ... in the fall. I'll be on sabbatical from my teaching job in the fall and spending most of my time in Sonora, Mexico, working on my next book. I'll most definitely find time for a trip to Baja.
John, the OM's will start again around mid October... it would be great to have a fellow AGFer join in the fun. We had an OM last night at 1697 Restaurant & Microbrewery... started at 6pm, played till 10pm... full house as always, everyone had a great time. Then we went to Strokers Reef (bar) and played for fun till 2am, one song after another around the circle of 3 players, way too much Tay-Kee-La. Loreto is all about social life and quality of living, close community of Gringos and Mexicans living side by side.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP McD View Post
That sounds like a blast. Shouldn't be too hard to get there from Orange County, CA. I'll look into it...
Hey JP, I've commented on your website and I have you marked as an AGF Friend... your Rockabilly & Honky Tonk would rock the Casbah my freind. Come to Loreto and you will be glad you did. OM season is 15 Oct to 1 June.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion