The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2016, 08:36 AM

Default Fighting humitidy issues- need advice

It's 16 degrees (F) here in Chicago right now. Humidifiers in my studio and bedroom are on full blast and they are struggling to maintain my target 40% humidity. Studio is currently down to 34% RIH and bedroom is lower. I'm not so concerned about my electrics as I suspect the humidity won't get much lower, but 2 of my 4 acoustics are currently hanging on the wall and two are in cases.

At this moment all have the humidifiers (shown below) stuck inside them when not in use. I'm not so much worried about the ones in the cases, but am concerned that the others should go back in the cases for the winter. I like to keep at least one guitar available for playing and now have two out, one regular tuning and one DADGAD.

If they were cheap guitars I wouldn't be so concerned but all my acoustics, except for my 2011 Taylor 614ce are semi-vintage guitars, ranging in age from 25-45 years old and high quality instruments.

Advice?

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-08-2016, 09:07 AM

34% should be ok for little, but less than that for extended period, I would be worried. Maybe get another small room humidifier.
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 12-08-2016, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

My experience with those small room humidifiers has been less than successful. Unless it is in a 200 square foot room or less with the doors closed. If it is in an open area I have not had much luck with them. My humidity dropped to 27 today. I have mine in their cases with the same case humidifier that you have.

I would suggest putting them in their cases when not in use or step up and get a larger humidifier. For the guitars that you have a couple hundred bucks is not much to spend on a big efficient humidifier.

I am in the process of exploring putting a whole house humidifier on my furnace. I can get one for the price of the larger mobile type if I install it myself and from watching youtube videos of installing them it seems pretty straight forward and easy. (if you are handy like I am)
Old 12-08-2016, 09:20 AM

Case the guitars. I'm sure this happens every winter.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:20 AM

some people may not agree but I'm with ya on being concerned.

and I'd not let it ride, especially the Taylor, they are probably the most prone to climate problems at least that's IME...

I just case em and use humidifiers, and deal with the added step of taking them out of the case.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:31 AM

Put them in the cases and humidify them. Lots of choices, but I like Oasis humidifiers.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 12-08-2016, 09:34 AM

I'd recommend a larger, console-style, floor model humidifier. Something along these lines: http://www.sears.com/essick-air-prod...5&blockType=G5.

With that, you'll have no problem keeping the humidity up.

Keep in mind, though, that the colder it is outside, the colder external wall and window surfaces will be. Above a certain indoor humidity, you will get condensation on the cooler external walls and windows. That invites mold growth and dictates how high an indoor humidity level you should maintain. On very cold days, that might well be below your targeted 40% RH. For those days, you'd need to ease up on the humidification - not necessarily so with in-case humidification.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I'd recommend a larger, console-style, floor model humidifier. Something along these lines: http://www.sears.com/essick-air-prod...5&blockType=G5.

With that, you'll have no problem keeping the humidity up.

Keep in mind, though, that the colder it is outside, the colder external wall and window surfaces will be. Above a certain indoor humidity, you will get condensation on the cooler external walls and windows. That invites mold growth and dictates how high an indoor humidity level you should maintain. On very cold days, that might well be below your targeted 40% RH. For those days, you'd need to ease up on the humidification - not necessarily so with in-case humidification.
Yeah ... this! Get 9 gallon or more unit so you are not constantly filling it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 12-08-2016, 10:00 AM

I do think that humidity thing is overrated little bit. It takes a VERY low percentage and long time to crack the wood. Bob Taylor did an experiment in the videos where he placed the guitar in wind tunnel mind you, with RH below 10% and it took over a week to even start cracking.
Besides, you will notice other issue before it starts cracking: tuning problems, frets sticking out on the side, thin and harsh tone, top con-caving, bridge sinking in etc...
If it's at 35% (or even 30%) I don't worry about it nor do I humidify. I keep all my guitars out on the wall. If I kept them in their cases, i might as well stop playing.
I don't worry unless symptoms named above start showing up. I've learned over the years not to put too much trust in hygrometers. Without proper calibration hygrometer variations are way off to be fully trusted. So I trust my ears and eyes more. Works much better for me.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:18 AM

I just changed out my mist humidifier (which sprayed white dust everywhere) with one of these (below). The mist humidifier was moved to the bedroom as a second humidifier with its twin. And yet the bedroom which is a bit larger only has 21% humidity right now. The studio is a bit smaller, just over 200 ft2. So, the guitars are going to be moved to the cases until I can get back to 40%.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-08-2016, 10:38 AM

I have 2 room humidifiers here in our house in Connecticut.

Once the humidity drops below 35% in the rooms, my guitars stay in cases with Oasis humidifiers unless they are being played.

Each guitar case has 2 Oasis humidifiers in them. One is the clip on case type and the 2nd one is the sound-hole type.

I still get in at least 2 hours of practice everyday...

Take John Prine's advice "Blow up your TV"

2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 12-08-2016, 11:24 AM

Definitely case the guitars. I use Oasis humidifiers (and have for a number of years now) and have no complaints. I've used the humidifiers like the one in your photo and always had the sponges go musty and stink up the guitar & case. I always use distilled water.

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:25 AM

Another option if you like to have a guitar out on a stand is to case them all when you're sleeping or not home and just have one out and ready to pick up and play when you're home. At night, put it back in the case with a soundhole or in-case humidifier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion