The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2022, 06:45 AM

Default Question For FG820 Owners (or probably any 800 series dread)

On Friday I'm going to go look at a used FG820 for sale, it's got that nice red burst finish. It's not for me, one of my older sisters surprised me a few weeks ago with a phone call asking what guitar is good to buy for a beginner as she wants to learn. Of course there's nothing I'd rather do or talk about that stuff like this. I said there's actually a few decent guitars in her price range. She said max $500-600 CAD.
I didn't explain solid/ laminate to her but I know in this situation, the less maintenance the better. Anyway the 800 series was my main recommendation, and she'd have some money to spare.

Then I saw this 820 for sale with a really nice hardshell case worth about $180/190 CAD new. They're essentially selling the guitar at new price with the case in for free.
This is a covid guitar, apparently only played a couple months, other than that has sat in a case. I doubt that a Yamaha FG 2 years old would have developed a sunken neck, but I was thinking I should check the angle, and I know different guitars are different from each other regarding this. If I put a straight edge on the board, where abouts on the bridge should it end up at regarding 800 models specifically?

I know it's not a universal rule, varies on the guitar, and the bottom line is does it play good. The thing is if it wasn't set up when the seller bought it, it might have high action so might be a little harder to tell.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

"If I put a straight edge on the board, where abouts on the bridge should it end up at regarding 800 models specifically?"

On my FG800 it is about 2mm above the top surface of the bridge. I like this guitar a lot, but I still think of the FG820 I played before I bought the FG800 as "the one that got away."
Old 11-29-2022, 02:02 PM

I have a 2 year old FG830. Very low action with plenty of saddle. Hopefully you will have the same when you check it out.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 11-29-2022, 02:57 PM

My 730 is 15 years old and currently without strings (neck is quite flat) also runs to about 2mm. It plays to perfection with a low action.

I agree there shouldn’t be a sunken neck, but wise to check the angle to know if any action issues are attributed to the neck or the saddle. The latter just needs sand paper.

Good luck! Those guitars look, play and sound out of their price range, so hoping it works out for you. If all is well with the guitar, I think that’s a reasonable deal. The market holds well on FGs.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:26 PM

My fs820 - black with cream binding - is 3 years old and was/is a joy to play out of the box. I tweaked the truss rod in the early days but haven't touched it for a couple of years. Never even considered a set up. She is perfect for me.
She's my sofa guitar, as I usually play my Eastman dread on a chair, and we just spent our nightly TV watching/picking time together.
Wonderful instrument, and one I will never sell.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion