The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-06-2024, 06:02 PM

Gave it to a buddy who surprised me with a quick recording he improvised with a little recorder stuck on a chair in front of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCFipdw98_U

The question of an 0 sized all walnut came up way back when and I had some scrap wood which I cut when setting up my band saw. On the extra weight of the walnut as compared to spruce, I thinned it to around 0.085" as that is where it felt the same stiffness as a piece of spruce for the same size guitar. Was unsure if it would even hold together. Happily it did and sadly the top started to distort in shape after half a year. Fixed it but it did not sound quite the same.
Old 02-07-2024, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

I almost bought one of those Manchester Music Mill customs but chickened out. I wonder if anyone here bought one of their 000s?
Old 02-07-2024, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
I almost bought one of those Manchester Music Mill customs but chickened out. I wonder if anyone here bought one of their 000s?
I did and it’s magnificent! A friend and fellow AGF’r did too! I’m terrible at describing tone, but I can say it’s sweet with more bass than I expected. Sounds even better this morning since I got rid of those awful Martin strings they come with new.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Hi all. I am the other Forum member jacot23 mentioned. I took delivery of my Manchester Special 000 Walnut several days ago. I saw these listed a few months ago but was a little hesitant at first. However, the 1.75 nut width, bone nut and saddle, Ebony fretboard and bridge, top side cream color binding, a hard case and a few other things were more than I could resist and Manchester Music folks were great to deal with. The factory setup needs fine tuning and I am replacing the stock pins and strings soon. That said, I really like this guitar. The tone is sweet and very articulate, has more bass than expected (as already mentioned) and has incredible sustain. This is a perfect companion for my Taylor 514 and my Webber Roundbody Engelman over Rosewood. I believe there are a few of these left and I believe it is a best buy for a Martin. Your mileage may vary, but I love mine.

Taylorcrazy_____________

Last edited by Taylorcrazy; 02-07-2024 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorcrazy View Post
Hi all. I am the other Forum member jacot23 mentioned. I took delivery of my Manchester Special 000 Walnut several days ago. I saw these listed a few months ago but was a little hesitant at first. However, the 1.75 nut width, bone nut and saddle, Ebony fretboard and bridge, top side cream color binding, a hard case and a few other things were more than I could resist and Manchester Music folks were great to deal with. The factory setup needs fine tuning and I am replacing the stock pins and strings soon. That said, I really like this guitar. The tone is sweet and very articulate, has more bass than expected (as already mentioned) and has incredible sustain. This is a perfect companion for my Taylor 514 and my Webber Roundbody Engelman over Rosewood. I believe there are a few of these left and I believe it is a best buy for a Martin. Your mileage may cary, but I love mine.

That is a real sweet looking Martin, Taylorcrazy! Congrats!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-07-2024, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorcrazy View Post
Hi all. I am the other Forum member jacot23 mentioned. I took delivery of my Manchester Special 000 Walnut several days ago. I saw these listed a few months ago but was a little hesitant at first. However, the 1.75 nut width, bone nut and saddle, Ebony fretboard and bridge, top side cream color binding, a hard case and a few other things were more than I could resist and Manchester Music folks were great to deal with. The factory setup needs fine tuning and I am replacing the stock pins and strings soon. That said, I really like this guitar. The tone is sweet and very articulate, has more bass than expected (as already mentioned) and has incredible sustain. This is a perfect companion for my Taylor 514 and my Webber Roundbody Engelman over Rosewood. I believe there are a few of these left and I believe it is a best buy for a Martin. Your mileage may cary, but I love mine.

I’m not a Martin fan, but I like that!!
Old 02-07-2024, 10:11 PM

I'm so intrigued by the walnut 00, but it's hard to take a risk with so little information. Sadly I'm far from New Hampshire.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

I asked Manchester Music Mill for a video of the Martin Walnut 000s so I’ including a link and hope it works.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/202073...ibextid=9bG9fT

Thank you all for the nice compliments. I’ve owned dozens of guitars but this is only my send Martin. Still enjoying it very much.

BTW, for anyone a little hesitant to try one, MMM offers a 30 return policy. If you give them a ring, I’m sure they’ll gladly provide the details.

Thanks,

Taylorcrazy_____________

Old 02-09-2024, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

I'm still looking for the right all-walnut guitar. I love good walnut as it gives qualities that are a bit like koa. That upper-harmonic sparkle and dry bass. As a back wood, I've liked it even more than Brazilian (though they obviously doing two very different things). I haven't tried it as a top but, given that similar woods (koa and mahogany) make excellent tops, I'm confident enough to buy one.
Old 02-09-2024, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Sorry, duplicate post

Taylorcrazy_____________

Last edited by Taylorcrazy; 02-09-2024 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I'm still looking for the right all-walnut guitar. I love good walnut as it gives qualities that are a bit like koa. That upper-harmonic sparkle and dry bass. As a back wood, I've liked it even more than Brazilian (though they obviously doing two very different things). I haven't tried it as a top but, given that similar woods (koa and mahogany) make excellent tops, I'm confident enough to buy one.
Check out the Alvarez MGA77CEARSHB (Grand Auditorium) or MFA77CEARSHB (OM/Folk). Solid Black Walnut top, back, and sides, made in Japan. They're discontinued models that ended in 2023, you you may be able to find a deal on one

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion