The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2016, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Taylor 110e impressive

So I dropped by my local GC because I was in a good mood and wanted to play some guitars for fun. Not in the market for anything but I picked up the Taylor 110e and boy it sounded pretty good. Very comfortable to hold and play, bass sounded nice, and it had fairly new Elixirs on it. Intonation was true. It was a little on the bright side but that was only in comparison to some Martins I played that had old strings on them.

Maybe it sounded so good because I had just been playing a couple of horrible sounding dreads in the front acoustic room (I won't mention the names, but they were NOT Yamahas).

Should I sell my D Jr and get it? Maybe I should keep my D Jr and just get it to strum around/knock around with? It sure sounded good flat picked too. I would never considered a Taylor dread before now - my first good guitar was a Taylor 314ce way back when this forum was the Taylor forum, 2004. I since have sworn off all the dreads because they were too honking big but I dunno....it's got electronics, a gig bag, and GC has 15% off this weekend . . .
Old 07-01-2016, 03:14 PM

Do it!
Old 07-01-2016, 03:15 PM

Funny i have a Taylor 110e and D jr. I like playing D jr better because easier to hold and play. My Taylor jas been collecting dust. Maybe i should sell it to you. Yes the Taylor sounds good but I like my D jr better.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2016, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

I called MF and they honored the same discount that GC had. The one I tried at the store was nice but it was a little grubby and scratched. I'd rather have a new one. Should be by next Friday.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:26 PM

I called MF and they wouldn't honor it..Said they don't honor coupons ??
I used the Chat line...
Old 07-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I used the Chat line...
They have an online code for the same discount--Freedom16
Old 07-01-2016, 07:38 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I called MF and they honored the same discount that GC had. The one I tried at the store was nice but it was a little grubby and scratched. I'd rather have a new one. Should be by next Friday.
Nice! Nothing like the smell of a new guitar when you first open the case.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I used the Chat line...

Dunno. Chat line wait time was 77-90 minutes! I just called and got nice friendly guy.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
They have an online code for the same discount--Freedom16
. Right. But when I tried to apply it to my online checkout it wouldn't take it. So I know to call and thy usually honor it.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:19 PM

Default Taylor 110e

I went to GC today...I had pretty much decided to buy a Seagull S6 gloss top dread with Q1 electronics..I was there yesterday and it sounded really sweet...when I went back today, somebody was playing the heck out of it..there were a lot of scratches that weren't there yesterday...so looking around I found a Taylor 114e...it was 100 bucks off...tried it plugged in and unplugged...pretty impressive...I almost walked out with it...
Gibson J-35
Larrivee Parlour
Martin Dreadnaught Jr.
Rainsong Shorty
Taylor GS Mini-e Mahogany
Yamaha FSX700SC
Cordoba 20 tm-ce Ukulele
Mitchell Baritone Ukulele
Taylor GS MINI e bass
Old 07-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic rabbit View Post
I went to GC today...I had pretty much decided to buy a Seagull S6 gloss top dread with Q1 electronics..I was there yesterday and it sounded really sweet...when I went back today, somebody was playing the heck out of it..there were a lot of scratches that weren't there yesterday...so looking around I found a Taylor 114e...it was 100 bucks off...tried it plugged in and unplugged...pretty impressive...I almost walked out with it...
you'll go back tomorrow and the 114 will be all scratched up, the same guy will be sitting there banging away on it.................
Old 07-01-2016, 08:31 PM

Ok it worked I called them...
Old 07-02-2016, 05:21 AM

How does it sound plugged in?

I'm starting to think that the pickups in laminate b/s guitars sound better than they do in solid wood guitars. I have an Eastman AC-122CE that sounds extraordinary when plugged in. It sounds fine unplugged----the typical laminate tone that I have a hard time describing :/----but it sounds crisp and clear with no weird quaking or boominess when plugged in. It has a Fishman Sonitone in it, which by all rights should sound less than stellar. It doesn't. People hear it and ask, "Wow, which pickup do you have in that?" I say, "A $50 Sonitone."
Old 07-02-2016, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Not to take away anything from the Taylor 110e but I was at Music go Round yesterday and I played a 210 and a 214.

Then for kicks I decided to grab a Sigma SD28 and SD18. The ones from St Louis music that also has the Alvarez.

If I was going to pick between the two I would have bought the Sigma for less than half the price. If I didn't already have a lam B/S, solid top Martin I would buy one. To me they sounded better than the new Yamaha 800 series I played the other day.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Yeah I was seriously considering one of the St. Louis Sigmas as the tone is fabulous and price ridiculous. I could only find a few small dealers scattered far across the country that carried them but I hadn't made up my mind yet. Then I wandered into GC and fell for the 110e. We'll see how I like the one that gets here next week. If I don't like it, I may revisit the Sigma line again.

One thing I noticed last night is that there are a lot of lousy You Tube videos on the Taylor 110e. Maybe its the playing and/or the quality of the recordings but most did not leave favorable impressions (to me) of the model if I were only going by the video to make a decision!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion