The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2024, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I see we're visiited by a Bash-Taylor-at-every-chance operator. What's Taylor got to do with Martin?
Ha! I have been called a lot of things, but never an "operator". I like that. Thanks for making day.

The reality is that Martin is not an innovator by utilizing channeled bracing a couple decades after other builders, just as there is no innovation in Taylor building slope shoulder dreadnoughts one hundred years after Martin and eighty years after Gibson. Marketing hype is just that... hype.

At least the bindings stay on Taylor guitars, so Andy and Bob got that going for them.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
So why isn't every other US maker having the same problem [with the regulation against the binding glue]?
Because the environmental regulation against the glue that Martin previously used is a Pennsylvania law, not a federal law. Personally, I have confidence Martin will get its act together on binding, if they haven't already.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie B View Post
Because the environmental regulation against the glue that Martin previously used is a Pennsylvania law, not a federal law. Personally, I have confidence Martin will get its act together on binding, if they haven't already.
It surprises me that PA environmental law would be more stringent that CA (Taylor's home base). Not impossible, but surprising given CA has some of the most stringent environmental regulations in the country. The insidious nature of this problem is rooted in that it takes years to test the integrity of a new glue. I'm sure they reached out to Taylor to try using the same glues and plastics. It's really just baffling as to how this problem has persisted for so long, but I can also see how this is more complex than just switching glue.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Gads, I hate these garbage articles. Such sycophantic "journalism"

Sounds like a puff piece written as an advertisement not from a serious magazine.

I also deplore that people constantly think they need to "innovate" in order to be important. Just make something well and keep doing that.

I like innovations, but I get the sense they are, often, trying to innovate just for the sake of innovating.

Try to appear new and advanced.

robotuners, V class bracing, Richlite fingerboards, HPL bodies, stratabond necks, skeletonized bracing, ES1....no ES 1.3 ......no ES 2....etcetera

Nowhere in any of that are we talking about good solid, well-made guitars.

It reminds me of a pathetic Ford commerccial I saw where they were trying to be innovative and in-touch with society so their add showed a wife saying "call hubby" and the car responded "dialing hubby".

And that was *LITERALLY* the most important feature in the commercial. My kids phones did that in middle school but the best feature you have is that? No attention paid to quality, safety, performance, economy, reliability, comfort, etc. Just "call hubby". It is a staggering marketing (and product management) failure.

I view all these nonsense innovations in the guitar industry as just another "call hubby"

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-01-2024, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
It surprises me that PA environmental law would be more stringent that CA (Taylor's home base). Not impossible, but surprising given CA has some of the most stringent environmental regulations in the country. The insidious nature of this problem is rooted in that it takes years to test the integrity of a new glue. I'm sure they reached out to Taylor to try using the same glues and plastics. It's really just baffling as to how this problem has persisted for so long, but I can also see how this is more complex than just switching glue.
From comments Buck and others have made on the UMGF, the problem is specific to the type of plastic that Martin uses. If I’m not mistaken, the problem occurs with celluloid plastic, which tends to shrink more than the plastic Taylor uses. Celluloid plastic costs more, so it isn’t a cost issue. When I had a conversation about the issue at a Custom Shop event with a longtime CS employee, he mentioned that the change was instituted to use a glue that was less toxic to employees who spend the whole day gluing binding. I didn’t get the sense that the change was due to a change in environmental regulations, but rather was a voluntary decision on Martin’s part.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

I'm just going to comment on the headline. Long time Martin owner of dozens including a couple HPL guitars, it wasn't a plan, I've always gravitated back to Martins. Very happy w/ 00-28 and a 00-18s.

Anyway, I think the new X series is very cool. Affordable Martins that are fun and inspiring to play, 0,00,00 size to D, nice. The new non traditional models seem to be selling and enjoyed,.. it's reassuring that Martin is looking ahead.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion