The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-14-2024, 08:18 PM

At this point I am pretty unlikely to acquire another guitar, I find the demos more interesting than reviews. I’ve listening and watching the demos. Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, however one I would like to add is frequent AGF contributor Forrest O’Conner. Always great playing that makes every one of his guitars sound terrific. One thing that I would like to know in all demos that I can’t recall ever being mentioned in reviews is preferred strings for guitars being demonstrated and reviewed.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 04-14-2024, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosphere View Post
I follow the smartphone market quite a bit and there are reviewers who are paid by the smartphone companies or selling platforms who sponsor their channels to never say anything bad about the phones they review, and then there are the "honest" reviewers who buy the phones themselves and will point out all the flaws.

Unfortunately, pretty much all the guitar reviewers I see are too afraid of offending either the manufacturers lest it impact their future relationship with them or the stores they own or work for for obvious reasons and will never say a single bad word about the guitars. In fact, I'd say they go as far as making bad things seem like good things.

For those reviewers already mentioned - Music Villa, Shawn Brock, I'm not aware of the rest - quote me a single time they've ever said anything negative or pointed out shortcomings about any of the guitars they've reviewed. What they say in their reviews are not consistent with real world experience, where many people experience both pros and cons and have likes and dislikes about the guitars they own, and for some of the guitars we own, we even think they don't sound good so we move them on.
I'll just throw out there that Philip McKnight usually tries to keep it objective. His reviews are less along the lines of, "THIS IS THE GREATEST GUITAR EVER MADE", and more along the lines of, "The wood isn't actually mahogany on this $400 Les Paul copy, the fret work has issues on the 14th fret and above, the jack plate is plastic, but the pickups are good and it sounds good. Here's how to fix the fret issue."

If you watch for a while, you can just tell when he's enjoying guitars and when he's not. He's hands down one of my favorite youtube channels.

Here's a video where he points out a couple things in a row. https://youtu.be/HyCZ8cUGawk?si=DJZkO_9fi7oazYUp&t=188
2013 Ibanez AEG20II-W-3R-01
2006 Washburn Lyon Dreadnought

Last edited by tinverse; 04-14-2024 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Adding a video to add to my post.
Old 04-17-2024, 03:13 PM

Default Artisan and Fly

The guy of Artisan is also making entertaining reviews and the sound quality is quite good as well: https://youtu.be/GBaqGfXoUH0?si=8QoNcLAi07Oqhr1L

Fly Music from China I can not understand due to the Chinese language but he is a well player and using good audio quality. And also reviewing high end brands from all over the world: https://youtu.be/Eg1iz3-SxZ8?si=nKktXMfUweIk9n-i
Old 04-19-2024, 06:56 AM

Doesn't any one here watch Andertons Music ? I have always considered it way better than any of the others mentioned. Its UK based though so maybe it doesnt' translate very well across the pond.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSN...PFcQDFRbi3VOAw
Old 04-19-2024, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbank View Post
Doesn't any one here watch Andertons Music ? I have always considered it way better than any of the others mentioned. Its UK based though so maybe it doesnt' translate very well across the pond.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSN...PFcQDFRbi3VOAw
I have seen it but it's very hard for me to connect with all the banter that goes on between the guys. They cut up too much and spend too much time joking and goofing around rather than playing. I'm probably just too old and not part of their target demographic, so the fault is likely mine.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I have seen it but it's very hard for me to connect with all the banter that goes on between the guys. They cut up too much and spend too much time joking and goofing around rather than playing. I'm probably just too old and not part of their target demographic, so the fault is likely mine.
Yes, i know what you mean. I agree - they overdo do it sometimes. I find the Acoustic Shoppe is also like that. For some reason i don't mind it so much with Andertons.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi, Everyone. Maybe I missed it, but nobody seems to have mentioned Tony Polecastro in here. I don't have any dealings with him, but I thought he was one of the biggest names out there. Has that changed?

Scott Memmer
Old 04-20-2024, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

All my favorites have been called out, but one deserves another mention, and that is Lindsay Straw.

Not only is she a phenomenal player, but it is great to see a woman in front of the ‘camera’ talking about guitars and playing guitars. It is a different and needed perspective.

If shops are reading…please, throw some more woman into the mix!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion