The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-02-2001, 10:42 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Question Taylor Forum factory tour?

Looking for ideas / opinions on putting together a Taylor Forum factory tour. This is something that the PRS Forum does every year and it's apparently a lot of fun. Members come from all over the country (and the world) and tour the factory, have a Q&A session with Paul Smith, meet other members, have jam sessions, etc. It looks like it's always a lot of fun. I've never discussed this with Taylor before, but I wanted to get ideas here first.

Good/Bad idea?
Suggestions?

J.R.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:51 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Lightbulb

I'll go first... The Forum tour could be a lot of fun. I envision that we'd have Q&A session with the fine folks at Taylor, demo some guitars (new models, prototypes, etc.), have some sort of luncheon, and maybe a clinic with one of the Taylor clinicians or even an acoustic Jam Session.

To make this work, we'd probably need a member or two in the southern CA area to coordinate things and take ownership of this activity. So if anyone is in a position to do this, please let me know and we can talk about it.

Remember... this is very much JUST AN IDEA at this time, and it's never even been brought up to Taylor.

J.R.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:58 AM

JR,

Seeing the pictures from the "Virtual" tour makes the prospect of a Real tour that much more inticing. I would love to have the opportunity to see the factory and a group gathering provides an extra incentive to make the trip south! Count one more vote for the tour!
Old 08-02-2001, 11:34 AM

I've been on the tour once, with my friend. (Who happens to be a lady). She wasn't even really into guitars, but after the factory visit, she could see why I was such a Taylor nut. Anyway...another chance to go to the factory would be AWESOME. Maybe we could meet Bob Taylor...or hunt down the guy who built my guitar so I could give him a great big hug. To the factory!

No Taylors yet...
Martin 000C-16GTE Premium
Old 08-02-2001, 12:14 PM

Cool

I'd be up for a run down the west coast to sunny California.

When did you envision this happening? This year? Next year?

Be nice if we set it up for some time of year when I could ride my bike down there. That is to say, NOT WINTER.
Old 08-02-2001, 02:27 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Noflatpick:
<STRONG>Be nice if we set it up for some time of year when I could ride my bike down there. That is to say, NOT WINTER.</STRONG>
That would be awesome! You could take your Baby Taylor with you, and we could have a TaylorForum special feature on the "Baby Taylor's trek down the west coast", complete with pictures at major landmarks and stuff. What do you think?

I doubt we could get something set up for this year. Realistically, it would probably be no earlier than next spring, but it all depends...

J.R.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:16 PM

Very cool, depending on when this is something I'd LOVE to do. (Tho' not play!!!)

-Tim
Old 08-02-2001, 04:38 PM

I think an organized factory tour would be a great way to get forum members together! I'd love to go. My wife won't fly so it would be a long drive for us and would just depend on whether or not I could get away that long. If it became an annual event I would certainly make it sometime, if not the first year.
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 08-02-2001, 04:51 PM

Hi, I am new to the forum and have found it really informative. I live here in San Diego and would be happy to assist in this adventure however I can. Thanks for all the valuable information, looking forward to further contributing.
Old 08-02-2001, 05:01 PM

I'm about an hour and half north of El Cajon and would be happy to drive down for the tour again. It'd be great to meet other forum members and their guitars, and get in some playing time if possible. I'm not sure I could thank whoever built my guitar, though, since it was so long ago. Perhaps Bob himself had a hand in it?

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: cpmusic ]
Old 08-02-2001, 08:04 PM

I'm primarily a lurker in these parts , but a very active PRS Forum poster. I've been to both of the PRS Forum events and I'll tell you, they were some of the best times I've ever had. Getting to meet and greet the folks you only know thru cyberspace is a hoot!

Paul Smith was as gracious as could be, he had a clinic each time to answer questions, and set up a little shindig at a beach front resort a couple of miles from the factory each time. Most of the employees were also there and it was wonderful meeting the 'elves' who make some of my favorite guitars. This past spring, Paul arranged for the Dragons (his band) to play for us. A second act, 'Pork Grind' (the band of the custome service rep, Jim Cullen) also played. We had rented out a bar the next day and had a 5 hour long jam session, too! Paul Showed up and jammed with some of the Forum members and.... well, you get the idea... it was a blast!!! Most of te folks stayed at a local hotel and there was an impromptu jam session till all hours of the night.

Needless to say, I think this is a great idea and I may have to take a trip to the 'Left Coast' if this comes to fruition!

James, counting his air miles...

P.S. Just Do It!!!
Old 08-02-2001, 10:02 PM

Cool

I couldnt stand to see so many Taylors, Id fall over from dehydration or get the boot from all the drool. People would be slipping down, Id be knocking them down so for liability sake Id better pass. I do plan on taking the tour when we ride the motorcycles around the USA in September and October. JW
Old 08-02-2001, 11:32 PM

Count me in ... I go often enough, but it would be neat to go with you all ... I'm not good at planning, though.
Old 08-04-2001, 03:11 PM

It sounds like a great idea. Since all of you guys are such a great source of information and ideas, I'll be looking to you for ideas on how I can finagle it into a business trip.

Jim

"No don't walk that way....there's nothing there" - M. Keneally
Old 08-04-2001, 04:41 PM

Count me in.....scheduling will be a challenge in the next year or so, but would be a grand thing to have a forum reunion tour.....or would that be a forum union tour???? whatever....sounds like a blast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion