The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2022, 12:58 AM
Charter Member

Default J-45: Time to "change" the strings?

I've had my new J-45 for three months now, and I'm starting to hear a little thudding on the A and D strings, compared to when it arrived. It's time for a new set.

First of all, what strings does Gibson ship the 50s J-45 Original with from Bozeman? I assume they're the Gibson brand. Is it the phosphor bronze set? I know the gauges are 12-16-24-32-42-53, but I'd like to know the material.

Next, what to replace them with? I'm flying kind of blind. I started in 1977 with Dean Markley strings and that's about all I've ever seemed to buy for the Gurian, but this new Gibson has me thinking differently, as it should, I guess.

I'd say the strings on the J-45 now are a bit bright with my fingernail picking and strumming style. I could use a mellower string, but if you believe the back of the D'Addario pack, phosphor bronze is already on the mellow end of the steel-string spectrum. Does that mean I should stay away from nickel bronze and 80/20?

But then I read Stringjoy's comparison of phosphor bronze and 80/20:

"Often times, due to their bright and brilliant nature, 80/20 strings are best paired with dreadnought-type acoustic guitars including models by Martin, Taylor, and Gibson. Guitars with generally darker tonal qualities lend themselves well to these strings to produce a well-balanced tone."

So who knows? It would be nice to start with a little knowledge instead of trial-end-erroring my way through lots of string sets when I really just want to play.

Opinions?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 02-26-2022 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

The trouble with guitars is that they are pernickety beasts, and what strings one person's J45 or 0-18 are shod with will not suit another's.

Strings are pretty cheap and it is well worth experimenting yourself with different types and brands. Probably best for the moment to stick with the general string gauges you have (12-53 or 12-54 for the J45).

What I would say is don't believe what is written on the packets. And that both your guitars would have worn standard 80/20s in the 50s, through the 60s and into the 70s because there was nothing else (except monel). So if you are listening to tracks from that era then 80/20s are most likely what you are hearing.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-26-2022, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

It may take several different string sets to find what works on that guitar, and if it's only three months old, that may also change over time. I bought a brand new Southern Jumbo a year and a half ago, which is basically a J45 and jettisoned the factory strings after about five days, replacing them with D'Addario Nickel Bronze lights (12-53) and have never looked back. I love the tone that they give and the guitar has really come into its own after this much time. I seem to get between four and six weeks on a set. Order a couple of sets, give 'em a whirl. If you don't like them, it was a cheap experiment and you can move on to the next choice, but I have this gut feeling that you will like them. Picks matter too.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 02-26-2022, 01:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchian View Post
It may take several different string sets to find what works on that guitar, and if it's only three months old, that may also change over time. I bought a brand new Southern Jumbo a year and a half ago, which is basically a J45 and jettisoned the factory strings after about five days, replacing them with D'Addario Nickel Bronze lights (12-53) and have never looked back. I love the tone that they give and the guitar has really come into its own after this much time. I seem to get between four and six weeks on a set. Order a couple of sets, give 'em a whirl. If you don't like them, it was a cheap experiment and you can move on to the next choice, but I have this gut feeling that you will like them. Picks matter too.
Good to hear of your experience with the Southern Jumbo and nickel bronze. Isn't that kind of a middle ground between phosphor bronze and 80/20?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 02-26-2022, 03:52 AM

I’ve been using John Pearse 600L Phosphor Bronze for my last few string changes on my J-45 Standard and really like them. They have a softer feel to them and sound great.
I’ve also used Ernie Ball Earthwoods PH. They’re called medium lights but are just lights imo. Also a nice sounding string.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:03 AM

I’ve had 4 Gibson slopes. Always strung with Martin retro 12s. Nickel monel.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:01 AM

I would buy a set of John Pearse 80/20s and PBs. Just don't wait for the first set to be dead before switching because it makes it difficult to compare.

I checked the Gibson website and it just states the gauge of strings used and nothing else. I did some Googling and there are some sites that guess the J-45 ships with Masterbuilt 80/20 strings but nothing was confirmed.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:01 AM

GHS used to be the supplier of the “Gibson Masterbuilt” 80-20’s in gauges 12-53.
They were made to Gibsons specs and without getting into details were the best sounding strings I ever tried on my J45. I tried a bunch.
For reasons I’d rather not say, GHS and Gibson parted ways in 2020.
I was told by someone at GHS that the 80-20 “Bright Bronze” strings are now made to the same specs.
For what it’s worth, I have tried a number of different brands, gauges and materials and they all sounded good on my J45.
I have a stash of “Masterbuilts” I bought before they became extinct. After those are gone, I’ll shift to the “Bright Bronze” or any comparable 80-20. IMHO, that’s the string that makes it sing!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 02-26-2022 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:41 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Most strings that I have used on my J-45 tonewise were taken over by the inherent sound of the guitar. I just put on a set of Elixir Nanoweb PB lights on mine and the Gibson sound sort of went out the window. Maybe in a few months the guitar will take over again.

The best strings I had on it were the Gibson 80/20 strings. D'Addario EJ16s were good on it too.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-26-2022, 09:16 AM

If I was forced to only use one type of string on my J45, it would be the retro monels. Having said that, I still enjoy experimenting. I have the retro's on at the moment, but will be trying something different next string change. I got it used (it's a 2018) and it came with D'addario PB's. I've always felt kind of underwhelmed by those. Not bad but just "meh".

I've tried the GHS Americana set. I liked them. Tried the Mangan monels, found them to be a little hard sounding.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
I've had my new J-45 for three months now, and I'm starting to hear a little thudding on the A and D strings, compared to when it arrived. It's time for a new set.

First of all, what strings does Gibson ship the 50s J-45 Original with from Bozeman? I assume they're the Gibson brand. Is it the phosphor bronze set? I know the gauges are 12-16-24-32-42-53, but I'd like to know the material.

Next, what to replace them with? I'm flying kind of blind. I started in 1977 with Dean Markley strings and that's about all I've ever seemed to buy for the Gurian, but this new Gibson has me thinking differently, as it should, I guess.

I'd say the strings on the J-45 now are a bit bright with my fingernail picking and strumming style. I could use a mellower string, but if you believe the back of the D'Addario pack, phosphor bronze is already on the mellow end of the steel-string spectrum. Does that mean I should stay away from nickel bronze and 80/20?

But then I read Stringjoy's comparison of phosphor bronze and 80/20:

"Often times, due to their bright and brilliant nature, 80/20 strings are best paired with dreadnought-type acoustic guitars including models by Martin, Taylor, and Gibson. Guitars with generally darker tonal qualities lend themselves well to these strings to produce a well-balanced tone."

So who knows? It would be nice to start with a little knowledge instead of trial-end-erroring my way through lots of string sets when I really just want to play.

Opinions?
I think that your guitar shipped with coated Gibson brand PB strings... there are folks out there that will tell you these strings are made by D'addario and are the same... that has not been my experience. The factory strings are a good choice IMO.

I've gravitated to EB 80/20 strings on my Gibson, I dont think it sounds that much "brighter", but it does sound more focused which I have found to tighten up the sometimes muddy Gibson low end a bit more. And I think on the right guitar the 80/20's have a cool sound when they do go dead, to my ear dead PB strings generally just sound... well, dead.

I recently put a set of Nickle bronze strings on a different guitar and liked the effect, I'll probably try them on a few more guitars.

I fully agree with the statement that Elixer strings tend to kill the "Gibson tone." I have other guitars that I run Elixers on sometimes and I think they sound alright, but on other guitars they do tend to bury the more subtle tonal complexities... like that honkey, nasal Gibson midrange.

Last edited by Bushleague; 02-26-2022 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:25 AM

I'm enjoying Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze on mine.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:54 AM

I've tried a bunch of different strings on my J45TV and am happiest with the Santa Cruz Parabolic light tension strings. A little bright at first, but they settle in nicely, last a long time and feel great on the fingers. I have yet to try Monel's, which everyone swears by on mahogany. Maybe next string change.
2003 Gibson J-45
2011 Flammang J-55
2015 Gibson J-45TV
2019 Martin D-18 39A
2021 Martin HD-28V Adi
2021 Gibson J-185 52 Historic
Old 02-26-2022, 10:01 AM

I went through a lot of strings on my 45. The Gibson Masters were very good, but my favorite two were DR Rares and Retro Monels.

2009 Martin OM-28 Marquis
2016 Gibson J45 Standard
Old 02-26-2022, 10:02 AM

I’m really enjoying DR Sunbeams on my Southern Jumbo. Roundcore PB’s. I’ve always liked Monels on mahogany guitars and have them on my Farida right now. I’ll try those next but the Sunbeams really are excellent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion