The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2022, 03:33 PM

Default Yamaha CSF3M, Just What I Needed: NGD!

Yesterday I purchased a Yamaha CSF3M. I wanted something smaller to bring on trips. My wife is expecting in a few months and I am imagining trying to fit all of the necessities (stroller, car seat, pack & play, clothes, diapers… and of course a guitar) into our Camry. Initially I purchased a Big Baby for this. However, once I got home with the Big Baby I realized I had not accomplished my goal, this guitar was as big as the OM I already have. I was so distracted by how great it played and sounded that I forgot what my actual priorities were. I decided to exchange it for something easier to cram into our car. The Yamaha’s case is much smaller and more rugged than the Taylor’s case was, those were huge selling points.

Before I settled on the Yamaha, I went back and forth between several guitars. The top contenders were a Martin 000 JR and a Taylor GS Mini Mahogany. I liked the width of the nut on the Martin the most. It also had the most growl of these three small bodied guitars. BUT it had some funkiness in the tone that I just did not like. It had some overly hyped mid-lows that were not pleasing. That shoot out did not take long. However, I went back and forth between the GS Mini and the CSF3M for a long time. I thought that the GS Mini handled strumming a little better, but, similar to the Martin, there was something out of wack with the tone. It was just a little mid heavy, in a way that felt natural to me. I think both the Mini and Martin Jr are trying too hard to compensate for being a small guitar by using unique bracings that allows more mid resonance. The Yamaha CSF3M just sounded right, albeit small, but right. It sounds like a Parlor, that’s what it is, a parlor. It actually sounds like a fairly nice parlor. I owned a Larrivee P-09 for a long time and the tone of this guitar reminds me a little of it.

The ultimate deciding factor was that neck. The GS Mini had a little bit of a hump where the fretboard met the body, the Yamaha was perfectly flat and the frets are very level. The only issue that is that the action needs adjusting at the nut. I brought the CSF3M home and immediately decided to remove the pickup, making the action crazy low. Remarkably it is still playable and only buzzes on the low E. That is how great the neck is. I have ordered a replacement saddle. I am not convinced that the Urea bridge and nut material is any worse than Tusq, it is very hard. I am only replacing the saddle because I need a taller one now that I removed the pickup.

I think I will also look for a lightweight upgrade to the tuners as well. The stock ones do not feel great. I am looking at some Sperzels (non-locking), does anyone have some reasonably priced (less than $75) suggestions?

To those shopping for a small guitar, this is a fun one. I am raving about this guitar, but I should give a disclaimer about the spacing. It is a little tight. Short scales like this are often better served with wider necks. However, I have small hands and have played mandolin for a while so the tight spacing doesn’t bother me at all. I could see it being cramped for guys with larger fingers. Try before you buy!
Old 02-25-2022, 04:26 PM

Congrats. It sounds like you will have multiple new traveling companions. Also looks like a great first guitar to start the next generation as well.

Thanks for the detailed information. We kept the urea on our recent Yamaha, and it sounds fine. We did have to file the nut slots. Threw in a Tusq saddle for good measure. I am sure you will enjoy this one.

Best,

Mac
Old 02-26-2022, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

I put Gotoh 301 tuners on my Yamaha AC1R, and more recently on my new new small Alvarez LJ2. They are a lot smoother than the factory tuners on those guitars, more consistent quality, look good, and well under $75. Oh, and no drilling or filling needed on either guitar. The 301-05 has small knobs and are a good fit on small guitars.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:35 AM

I got Wilkinson open gear tuners from GFS (Guitar Fetish) and the accompanying bushings. They looked nice and worked great. Under $40. I put them on my CSF1M.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 02-26-2022 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:31 AM

skoshi, a belated Welcome to the AGF!

Congrats on your CSF3M! It sounds like you picked the best of the bunch and I'm sure it will suit your travel purposes.
Old 02-26-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
skoshi, a belated Welcome to the AGF!
Thanks for the welcome! I benefited from the forum long before finally joining it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I got Wilkinson open gear tuners
Thank you for the suggestion. It is helpful to see how those fit on the small headstock. I have had good luck with Wilkinson tuners in the past, I bet those serve you really well for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirosh View Post
The 301-05 has small knobs and are a good fit on small guitars.
I considered those, good to hear that they are smooth. I really liked the 381-07 that I put on another guitar ages ago.

I found a set of Hipshot open tuners for $40 so I bought those. Hopefully I will be able to install the buttons from the stock tuners on those. The Hipshot buttons will probably look odd on such a small headstock.
Old 02-26-2022, 05:21 PM

I love mine. I keep trying to sell either my GS Mini or CSF3M, but I just can't decide between the two. The Mini Koa handles strumming a bit better, but the CSF is better for finger style.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)
Old 02-26-2022, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your new Yamaha!

- Glenn
Old 02-27-2022, 03:17 AM

Smile

Congrats on getting your CSF3M! Enjoy playing it when you're outdoors or on vacation trips.

I used to own a CSF3M, Dread Junior 2 (All-Sapele) and a GS Mini Koa. I rate them all in a similar ballpark (category). Now, only the GS Mini Koa is still with me. I believe it's a keeper or maybe a lifer too.

The laminated b/s Mini Koa has won over the 2 solid wood b/s guitars but only in my subjective preference.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 03-01-2022, 04:43 PM

Smile

I installed Hipshots, removed the pickup, replaced the saddle, removed the logo, and put a gloss finish on the the front of the headstock. I am very happy with it.(For the record I don't think that removing the pickup made any perceivable change to the sound, I simply wanted to install a K&K or other SBT in it)

For the Hipshots I reused both the buttons and the bushings from the stock tuners (which were Pings). They worked great. The weight of the Pings and the weight of the Hipshots (once I replaced the buttons) were both 30grams a piece with bushings installed. All I had to do the the headstock was drill for the mounting screws.

Incase anyone else wants to remove the UST from their Yamaha, I ordered a bone saddle from MacNichol. It fit perfectly, no alterations required. I polished it up a little and was good to go. The height of the replacement was nearly identical to the stock saddle and pickup combined. It may have been ever so slightly shorter, but I am not taking it out to remeasure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion