The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2019, 06:00 AM

Default The “Humidity Thread”

I know that this topic comes up annually as surely as the migration of the birds of summer😎. I also know that it often gets contentious; I’d like to avoid that here by keeping the topic limited to a couple of questions of which I would appreciate your expertise and advice.

For years now, I have been observing the “damp sponge in case” method of humidity control on my 20 or so acoustic and classical guitars. It’s been effective from the standpoint of keeping the instruments in good repair. Other than typical seasonal set-up adjustments, I have not had to deal with humidity-related damage. It is however messy, inexact, and time-consuming.

I’ve made the decision this year to keep my guitars outside the case in a safe and contained studio. My specific questions are these:

* For those of you that are in similar situations, what is the most effective full room humidifier that you have been pleased with? What should I avoid? Budget is a consideration, but I would be willing to drop some coin on an extremely effective unit. How much time and maintenance is involved?

* I understand that it is typically recommended to keep instruments in a safe range of humidity. My opinion, and I’ve heard many people here echo this, is that this can be taken to absurd extremes. I typically do not even begin thinking about humidity control until the room environment is well below 40. Winters in Louisville can often cause extended periods of inside humidity levels in the 20’s or below. At what level do you begin to get concerned? In other words, where is the “red zone”? I can deal with a wider range of humidity than many, but at what level do you begin to get concerned.

Thanks in advance.
-Tom
Old 10-17-2019, 06:11 AM

I no longer attempt to do this. We tried whole house humidity and learned right away it would not work for us, an expensive experiment. Minerals in the water kept plugging everything up. We tried a room humidifier and while the minerals were easier to deal with, it did not help as much as wished. The area was way too large and we got tired of bring water from the sink over to it to keep it full.

Your situation may be quite different, but these are things to consider. Such a solution does work for some folks.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

I don't know about the room humidifier. The last time I had one I had two evaporative humidifiers and if I placed them both within a couple feet of the guitars I was worried about, they'd just about keep them over 40, but they didn't work for the whole room at all. And it was a pain in the butt to keep them full and keep the filters fresh.

So I do case my one wooden acoustic guitar (I have a carbon fiber guitar that's always within easy reach) when it gets dry. I personally don't worry about it between 40-60%. I don't worry about brief periods below 40%, but if the room is below 40% a lot of the time, I case the guitar (with humidipaks) when not playing it. In the winter, I case it at night pretty much regardless because with the heat blasting, it's gonna get dry...

-Ray
Old 10-17-2019, 06:37 AM

Larrivee recommends 42-55%. I personally try to keep it in the mid 40's. To my ears, a dryer guitar sounds better...more volume and sustain.
My favorite humidifier is the Venta LW15. Very little maintenance and filters the air as well. Instead of filters that you have to clean and replace, it uses discs that require very little cleaning and never need replacement. I haven't had a need for it yet, but I will this winter since I no longer live in FL. I actually ran a dehumidifier in FL and up until now in PA. But now that it's turning cooler, I'll be purchasing the Venta in the next few weeks. Hope this helps and good luck!
Venta LW15 Airwasher 2-in-1 Humidifier and Air Purifier in Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B5PKHLG..._5RfQDbVGW19YK

Last edited by jweave69; 10-17-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

I have three humidifiers.

A large console style that feeds the family room and downstairs area, a small room humidifier that is closed in my guitar-den and another small one in the hall outside the bedrooms.

The small one is reviewed HERE

The large one is reviewed HERE

The small one is really nice but I had to buy a separate humidistat (HERE). Once I added that it became a perfect solution for a small room.

I have no problems with filling them (it takes 45 seconds) and there is no mess or water problems.

The only sacrifice is that the filters have to be replaced - they are disposables and they get clogged up with dust and sediments and mineral deposits. They have to be replaced every 4-8 weeks depending how much they run.

I can tell when mine need replacing because the humidifier can't keep up the room control - i can tell and I replace the filters and they instantly adjust the RH% in the room again. So the filters really really REALLY matter.

No matter what route you go, do not ever get an ultrasonic nor a misting humidifier - those simply atomize water and spray it in the air, delivering mineral deposit dust all over the room/house/guitars. The only safe humidification is evaporative.

I made this change years ago. it's like the time we installed A/C in our house - I wonder how I ever lived without it.

Everyone sleeps better, feels more comfortable too.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-17-2019, 06:47 AM

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Vornado-Evap4...%2C151&sr=8-12

It doesn't need to be constantly filled as it holds a fair amount of water. It's quiet on the low speed if that meets your needs.

I'm in upstate NY and when it is really cold out I can't get the room higher than 30% with it on the middle fan speed. My instruments are in the family room and my wife won't tolerate the TV and fan on high at the same time. I'm not sure I'd want to listen to that high speed for very long.

I also used the sponge/soap dish - as recommended by my luther and well respected repairman. I have substituted the water beads and they last much longer in the dish.

So I suppose it depends on where you live and how high you keep your heat - the lower the better (but that's not great for cranky old men like me).
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-17-2019, 06:57 AM

Except in situations where extremes are a reality, I think this is humidification thing is way overblown. My guitars all sit out. My in-house humidity is as low as 40 and as high as 55. I guess I'm just lucky.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-17-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Except in situations where extremes are a reality, I think this is humidification thing is way overblown. My guitars all sit out. My in-house humidity is as low as 40 and as high as 55. I guess I'm just lucky.
I think you for sure are lucky.

It's all about stability..

I'm in the North East (Massachusetts.) in the winter time, it's dangerously dry, 20% or lower in my house.

The summer is a bit better, but, it can get too wet in my house too. mid to upper 60s.

A room humidifier in the winter is a PITA and not worth the hassle. Tried it, it was a fail.

I just keep the acoustics in their cases, and each one has some form of humidifier in the case.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll View Post
I know that this topic comes up annually as surely as the migration of the birds of summer😎. I also know that it often gets contentious; I’d like to avoid that here by keeping the topic limited to a couple of questions of which I would appreciate your expertise and advice.

For years now, I have been observing the “damp sponge in case” method of humidity control on my 20 or so acoustic and classical guitars. It’s been effective from the standpoint of keeping the instruments in good repair. Other than typical seasonal set-up adjustments, I have not had to deal with humidity-related damage. It is however messy, inexact, and time-consuming.

I’ve made the decision this year to keep my guitars outside the case in a safe and contained studio. My specific questions are these:

* For those of you that are in similar situations, what is the most effective full room humidifier that you have been pleased with? What should I avoid? Budget is a consideration, but I would be willing to drop some coin on an extremely effective unit. How much time and maintenance is involved?

* I understand that it is typically recommended to keep instruments in a safe range of humidity. My opinion, and I’ve heard many people here echo this, is that this can be taken to absurd extremes. I typically do not even begin thinking about humidity control until the room environment is well below 40. Winters in Louisville can often cause extended periods of inside humidity levels in the 20’s or below. At what level do you begin to get concerned? In other words, where is the “red zone”? I can deal with a wider range of humidity than many, but at what level do you begin to get concerned.

Thanks in advance.
-Tom
Unless it is literally some sort of high end special purpose built room with the right ventilation and equipment you will, over time, create mold in your home somewhere if you try to maintain, say 45 - 50 RHL with regularity when it is brutal cold outside. I am saying this based on my situation here in Canada.

The evaporative humidifier everyone goes on about, and that reviews well, is the aircare ma1201. I bought one, and I'm really disappointed in the noise of it. It's fine in the end, as I don't have it directly in my music/practice room.

I am very anal when it comes to humidity management, inside and outside the guitar world. In another recent thread on here I detailed my approach in full. I view that approach as the only sane and workable approach all things considered. It involves keeping my guitar in the case unfortunately. I'm not using annoying sponges though.

Good luck
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 10-17-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
For years now, I have been observing the “damp sponge in case” method of humidity control on my 20 or so acoustic and classical guitars. It’s been effective from the standpoint of keeping the instruments in good repair. Other than typical seasonal set-up adjustments, I have not had to deal with humidity-related damage. It is however messy, inexact, and time-consuming........I typically do not even begin thinking about humidity control until the room environment is well below 40. ........I’ve made the decision this year to keep my guitars outside the case in a safe and contained studio. My specific questions are these:....
First, to me, the second sentence here says it all. "It's been effective". That's all that matters to me.

Next, if you think sponges weekly or every two weeks, or so, is time consuming and a pain, then you're in for a whole lot of "you ain't seen nothing yet". Unless you're going to go to a whole-house humidifier that has an excellent climate-control you're in for daily or 3-times-a-week refilling, weather sealing your house, dusting from the chemical deposits (unless you're going to buy and use distilled water) and fan noise, you're in for more time, more expense and more issues to deal with.

Next the most important thing to me - keeping the instruments stable. I don't let levels get down to anything close to "well below 40". I keep my instruments completely stable, in their cases, close to manufacturer's recommended level, and have NO "Other than typical seasonal set-up adjustments" - seasonal anything. I live in one of the drier places in the country and I check my cases when taking my guitars out to play. I check them all every other week and re-wet as necessary. If I felt the time spent was a pain, I would get rid of more guitars until the maintenance level was where I want it. It takes me about 5 minutes a week to check the guitars and re-wet sponges as necessary.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 10-17-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

I run a floor standing humidifier with twin 2 gallon tanks in my 13 x 20 room. I refill every morning, usually takes 3 gallons. Keeps the room at 40% but is running quite a bit of the day to do so since we're high desert. It's noisy, not a problem for me, others I'm sure wouldn't care for the near constant fan noise.

I'll fire it up the first time humidity drops below 30% in the fall.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 10-17-2019, 07:35 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:

I’ve made the decision this year to keep my guitars outside the case in a safe and contained studio.
My guess is that the "problem" months in Louisville are limited to mid December through the end of February, give or take. Is there a reason you can't keep them cased during just that time and not cause yourself all the issues that come with it?

Just trying to help you avoid hassles.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:59 AM

Default Humidity

Quote:
I know that this topic comes up annually...........
How about a couple of times a week? I can't think of another topic that comes up more often, except for possibly "The best strings for......".

I also used the Sponge in a Soap Dish method for years and switched over to water beads about two years ago. They hold more water for a longer period of time. With as many guitars as you have, I would think the time savings would be very attractive, if you're going going to stay with that approach.

If you're going to spend several hundred dollars for a good room humidifier, I would strongly recommend spending a bit more for a whole house system.

I did that when I lived in the Chicago area. The unit I installed was an April Aire system. It was an easy install, right on the duct immediately after the furnace blower. A small water line with a saddle tap was all that was needed to bring water to the system and the rH control was placed next to the thermostat in the living room.

There are other systems out there, but the cost difference isn't as much as you might think and the benefits of a whole house system over trying to humidify a single room made it a no brainer for me.

YMMV
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 10-17-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I have three humidifiers.

A large console style that feeds the family room and downstairs area, a small room humidifier that is closed in my guitar-den and another small one in the hall outside the bedrooms.

The small one is reviewed HERE

The large one is reviewed HERE

The small one is really nice but I had to buy a separate humidistat (HERE). Once I added that it became a perfect solution for a small room.

I have no problems with filling them (it takes 45 seconds) and there is no mess or water problems.

The only sacrifice is that the filters have to be replaced - they are disposables and they get clogged up with dust and sediments and mineral deposits. They have to be replaced every 4-8 weeks depending how much they run.

I can tell when mine need replacing because the humidifier can't keep up the room control - i can tell and I replace the filters and they instantly adjust the RH% in the room again. So the filters really really REALLY matter.

No matter what route you go, do not ever get an ultrasonic nor a misting humidifier - those simply atomize water and spray it in the air, delivering mineral deposit dust all over the room/house/guitars. The only safe humidification is evaporative.

I made this change years ago. it's like the time we installed A/C in our house - I wonder how I ever lived without it.

Everyone sleeps better, feels more comfortable too.
His statement about mist humidifiers is half true. If you use regular tap water yeah...Which they say right in the manual of these things not to do.

Use distilled water. Depending on your use case it's still pretty cost effective to buy cheap distilled water from Costco/walmart and the like. There will be no white dust if you follow the recommended instructions.

You do not want evaporative humidifiers in your actual music room if you can avoid it based on the sound of them alone. Mist humidifiers are typically completely silent. My "in room" one for my music room is whisper quiet. It also has scheduled humidification, which is a very rare feature. I have it come on and go off for a window of time that captures the typical time(s) in my day that I play/practice. This way the guitar is exposed to ideal conditions in the room while I'm playing, and when I'm not playing it is in ideal conditions in my case with humidipaks. The only humidification that is regularly running throughout my basement (where my music room is) more globally is a large evaporative unit. It is running at all times at whatever makes sense relative to the outdoor temp. Guitar is protected this way at all times, and the house is not being exposed to consistent regular over humidification that does not jive with the outside temp...only for a short period of time when my in room mist humidifier is doing its job for my practice window.

To each their own. This works for me.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by Dbone; 10-17-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
LOL

Nobody in here is talking about people like you. You're fine.

Move to Canada or somewhere similar and repeat your way of doing things. Then tell me if it is overblown.

It is all relative to where you live and what you do or don't do for process relative to that.

40 is not low and 55 is not high
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion